DOGS

2»

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    I hope you can find a rescue! I volunteer at my local shelter all the time, and there are soooooo many lonely dogs there. They are so happy to get a little bit of love, and you can see the sadness in their eyes when you leave. While some breeds have general traits, every pup is an individual and will have its own temperament and personality. I used to work at a kennel and have seen show dogs and mutts of all types. Malamutes are quite talkative which can be good or bad and their coats require a good bit of maintenance, especially if they're outside a lot.

I own a beagle/jack russell mix from my shelter. She totally picked me! :)

Yes, I should have mentioned we plan on adopting from a rescue. We found one located in the same city my husband's grandpa lives in, so we'll get a dog and a visit with grandpa :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    I hope you can find a rescue! I volunteer at my local shelter all the time, and there are soooooo many lonely dogs there. They are so happy to get a little bit of love, and you can see the sadness in their eyes when you leave. While some breeds have general traits, every pup is an individual and will have its own temperament and personality. I used to work at a kennel and have seen show dogs and mutts of all types. Malamutes are quite talkative which can be good or bad and their coats require a good bit of maintenance, especially if they're outside a lot.

I own a beagle/jack russell mix from my shelter. She totally picked me! :)

Yes, I should have mentioned we plan on adopting from a rescue. We found one located in the same city my husband's grandpa lives in, so we'll get a dog and a visit with grandpa :)

Wonderful! :) Careful though, they are addictive haha...I can't wait until I have more money for a second pup!
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    I have a friend who rescues/fosters Huskies and Malamutes. She mostly complains about the shedding and how much food they eat :D

She has a small child and they've all been fine with him.

They also need a lot of exercise but shouldn't really be off leash since they do like to run. She has a huge backyard so they can run around.

And they howl/talk which I think is fun but she says can be annoying at times. She doesnt have close neighbors so its never been an issue.

Other than that, they're great companions, cuddlers, friendly (yeah, I may have been almost knocked over a couple times) and very happy dogs.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Definitely have to be dominant with the Malamutes. If the dog starts to take over, they become extremely protective and territorial, which is so dangerous for your neighbors and other animals. They are great dogs, though the grooming would put me off a bit. I always adopt from rescue agencies or shelters, and I've had such great luck with my dogs. My sweet little chocolate lab has gorgeous amber eyes and the best disposition of any dog I've ever had. Never was a fan of labs, but now I'm a convert. :)
  • erh20000plus
    erh20000plus Posts: 205 Member
    We got our Mojo, mastiff mix (with what we do not know - looks just like a full blooded), from the animal shelter. He is the best dog ever!! He sheds (a lot) but hardly drools and is a couch potato. This was actually the third shelter he was in due to having an eye issue and needing surgery. He topped out at 135 which is small for a mastiff but we never had an issue with small kids, our cats, and other dogs. Now that he is getting older (we think he is around 9), he is more vocal and more protective of our children. If you do decide to get a big dog, please talk to your vet about glucosamine supplements. Mojo has been on them since we got him at 2 and it has made a world of difference according to the vet.

Good luck!
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Why don't you guys take a trip to your local shelters and look around for a dog when you're ready to get one? :) It might not be a Malamute, but you might find a dog that captures your heart and who really needs a home. Or if you're really stuck on getting a Malamute, maybe you can find a Malamute rescue in your area too. :)
  • _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    I am sure someone has already mentioned it, but malamute's are WORKING dogs. In caps. They need a ton of exercise and a lot of them need a job to be happy. That means getting them to pull things, do agility work, etc. Lots of energy in these guys and they are bred to go the distance. As long as you are prepared to offer that, then cool. Without it, the exercise/ work that they need, they can get destructive or challenging.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I have had 2 malamutes in my family. They were both raised from pups but were not related at all. They both turned very agressive when they began to lose their sight and hearing and had to be euthanized.

People that know me, know that this was not a result of poor training, lack of exercise or socialization.

They are working dogs and need A LOT of exercise and quality training. I don't think I would recommend them for anyone other than experienced dog owners.

ETA: I am currently in Golden Retriever mode and can't say enough good things about the breed. Sweet, smart, active yet calm - and patient as all get out.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    I usually just go to the pound, and whichever one won't leave me alone comes home.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I have a GSD and they do that twice a year, coat shed thing too. Let me tell you, that is serious business.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I love a mutt. Mutts are great. I'm also quite partial to "pit bull type dogs"
  • FatGirlSlim899
    FatGirlSlim899 Posts: 37 Member
    We have a Siberian Husky (very similar!) and if you aren't experienced with dogs (especially larger working dogs) I would advise against one. The main point to ask yourself is 'Do I have enough time and energy to spare everyday, to walk my dog until he's tried out?'. This might sound silly but they take a LOT of walking, my dog is really old now, and we take him out daily for 2 miles, and at the weekends 6 miles a day. Keep in mind he's really old now.. and when he was younger we walked hime MORE! The cleaning is significant, our dog sheds about a whole 10 jumpers worth of hair a day (haha) but seriously you need to keep them groomed if you don't want a coat of hair round your house. I vacuum a LOT! I think if you take these points into account and think you're up to it, then go for it. I love my dog :D

EDIT: I forgot to mention, you can't let them off the lead for walks because they run away! So the walks are as demanding as they sound!
  • libland
    libland Posts: 284 Member
    I have a flat coated husky mix. My 50lb sled dog loves to walk and run. She needs lots of exercise. And the shedding is pretty much year round. But she is the best dog I have ever had.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    i had a mutt who was part malamute - we only knew by the howl and the shedding. get a curry comb. it will be your friend. but they are a lovely breed. just make sure your fence is not wooden. Klondike would eat his way out of a stockade fence. though that could have been the wolf in him.
  • starcrystal3
    starcrystal3 Posts: 91 Member
    I think it is great that you are doing your research about breeds AND that you plan to adopt from a shelter. I think if you go into the shelter with some clear ideas on what you are looking for in a dog (size, energy, shedding, age and behavior traits you do not want), that will really help you find the right dog for you, even if they do not have a malumute.

Hopefully the shelter you adopt from will also have some insights into the dog's personality (beyond breed generalizations). Keep in mind, many of the dogs are mixes and all have individual personalities. When you have traits and breeds in mind that will help you select from the animals they have available, in case they do not have the specific breed you are looking for (or if the dog they have in that breed is not a personality match to your lifestyle).

I recommend just going to the shelter to get a feel for the process and what the staff can share about the dogs. Good luck in your search!
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    I could never have one myself because of how much they shed. I work at a vets and we see a few malamutes, more siberian huskies tho. Doesn't matter the time of year, they leave fur every where lol. As far as temperment, I prefer clingy dogs, ie a Lab. Malamutes seem a little more independent.
  • katdouce
    katdouce Posts: 79 Member
    I am so happy to hear you are going to adopt...I volunteer at our local shelter as well..and I have two of my own from there....and you can get pure bred's at shelters...but I agree with many others on here...Go visit and just take a walk through and one of them will pic you...My dog of choice was always sheperds...and I ended up with two half lab half beagles LOL!!! and I love them both very much...we just had a puppy mill bust here ... all pure!!! 147 of them..so sad!
  • Banks01
    Banks01 Posts: 945 Member
    I've had tons of different dogs including the one you're looking at. He was a great dog and gentle around kids.

I'm on my third golden (he's in my pics) and they've been the best breed we've had.
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    petfinder.com

They are working dogs & will need a great deal of exercise, not just a walk around the block.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Adopt!!! All breeds are loving and need homes. Just go around to your local shelters! You shouldn't support breeders :/

I know I hadn't edited my post yet when you replied, but I am not sure what I said in my original post that indicates I support breeders.