Ladies: In need of some help :)

2»

Replies

• annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 417 Member
    I have noticed that the same cup size seems to be a bit different depending on the rib size. For example I wear a 36 D but if I try a 34 D on the cups seem a bit smaller. Does this make sense? Maybe you could just go up or down a size and the cup size will fit you differently.

Yup makes sense.. But I've tried that.. I'm not sure if I'm 34 C or a 36 C... Ones too small and ones too big... like I can't figure it out...Lol

Try a 36 B. no joke. I know that sounds really odd, but I had the same problem when I was pregnant. I went to Nordstrom (a NW exspensive dept. store) and was fitted and this is what she suggested. It worked.
  • I worked at Lane Bryant for 2 years and was a bra fit wizard. You need another person's help...but try this:

Use a soft measuring tape. It helps to be braless when you do the measurement, so that you are measuring ALL of your breast tissue, and not having to try and take into account any spillage or squish-age you've got going on from ill-fitting bras. The person should stand behind you and wrap the tape measure around you that way.

1. Measure directly under your bust. Pull tight, but not so much as to welt your skin. This will be your rib measurement. Generally, round down to the nearest whole inch. For example, if your measurement is 34.5, then you should round down to 34. This is also your BAND SIZE for your bra.

2. Measure the fullest part of your breasts. Usually, this can mean placing the tape measure directly over both of your nipples. Pull tight, but again, not too tight. Keep this number in mind. This is your BUST MEASUREMENT

3. To find your cup size, subtract your rib size from your bust measurement. For example, if your rib size is 34" and your bust measurement is 38", you have a difference of 4" - this is how you find your cup size.

The following is a representation of inches - cup size conversion

1 " = A cup
    2" = B Cup
    3" = C cup
    4" = D cup
    5" = DD cup
    6" = DDD or E cup
    7" = F cup
    8" = G cup
    9" = H cup

and so on. So for the example of the rib 34" and bust 38", the person should be wearing a 34D bra.

Keep in mind that not all bras are created equal. Demi bras are great for busts under a D cup; full coverage is good for anyone, and so on. If you have a lot of fit issues and usually wear molded cup (with some padding) bras, try a bra with no molding or padding and you might be surprised by fit!!

Normal fit issues:

Band riding up = your band is too big! Go down a size
    Gaps in the cups of your bra = cup size is too big. Go down a size
    Straps are sliding off your shoulders, even when tightened = Band is too big. Go down a band size.
    Underwire pokes you under arm = cup size is too small, trying going up a cup size.

In addition, your bra should fit snugly against your body. 90% of the support in a bra should come from the band, NOT the straps on your bra. You really shouldn't need to tighten shoulder straps on a bra. The bridge of the bra (part in the front middle) should sit flush against your chest, with no gapping or poking.

Hope that helps!! :-)

Nordstrom's, Intimacy, and Lane Bryant all make very great quality bras.
  • I feel your frustration! Try measuring yourself, with some of the instructions others gave and it also definitely depends on where you go to get measured. I completely agree with whoever said to stay away from VS! I've had great results with Nordstroms and Belk (may be expensive but worth it).
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Thanks everyone! Some great information. I will look into getting properly fitted! and I'll try Nordstroms. You all are very helpful :)
  • Try moving up or down a size in the band. Like if you're wearing a 36D right now and it's too big, go down to a 34D. Make sense? I know it sounds weird, but I swear it works :-D

Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I just try everything on and make no assumption based on the tag size. That goes for bras, dresses, shoes, jeans... Even if I'm buying multiples of the same item, if the fit needs to be exact, I try it on. There's been too many times I bought something because it was the size I'm supposed to be and not had it fit right.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I try them on. You can't always go by the label.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Thanks everyone! Some great information. I will look into getting properly fitted! and I'll try Nordstroms. You all are very helpful :)

Here's why I also love Nordstrom.

They give their employees Thanksgiving off (rare in the retail world because everyone's getting ready for Black Friday) and they do not decorate for Christmas until after Thanksgiving. They believe in one holiday at a time. :):)
  • MICHG16
    MICHG16 Posts: 11 Member
    id definitely stay away from brand/department stores and get measured in a quaint store where someone helps you with straps & such. - i personally find bras SUPER uncomfortable and am always fidgeting when i wear them (ive been measured, 36C/D and tried all sorts) and take them off when i get back to my room and put on a bandeau or sport bra...anyone else have this issue??