Any other recovering anorexics?

Options
Hey! My name is Sarah and I'm a high school student, using this site to track my calories as I recover and get stronger. I'm starting at 5'6" and 125.9 lbs, and would ideally like to be around 107- which I know is low, so hopefully that goal weight will get higher as I get healthier! :)

Replies

• edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    are you sure you are in recovery if you are trying to lose weight?
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    are you sure you are in recovery if you are trying to lose weight?

This is my thinking too. Maybe focusing on getting healthy first? 107 is very low for 5ft6
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've been recovering for the past six years (and actually I am 5'6" and 109).
    I just sent you a friend request.
    I'm proud of you for working toward recovery!!
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    It's a life-long battle to recover from an eating disorder, but there are plenty of recoverers who are still losing weight, but in a healthy and manageable way.

To the OP: Yes, I am as well, although I'm not anorexic, just EDNOS. My position is much less tenuous than yours, but I'm forcing myself to make good eating decisions while still trying to lose weight. I don't want to make myself sick or destroy my body.
  • raptbricolage
    Options
    Good for you recovering :) I hope your goal weight gets higher too, or that you reach a point where you don't need one :)
  • cervenec
    Options
    I'm dealing with some disordered eating habits- this site's been a great tool for me in terms of setting a goal and meeting it. I think you are on the right track and I wish you the best with recovery. It takes longer for the mind to catch up with your body (as I'm sure you know). If you ever need to to talk to someone, or need support feel free to message/add me on here.
  • edith_t
    edith_t Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    with regards to my earlier question, i'd like to add a few points. firstly, well done on your efforts so far to recover - i've no doubt it must be incredibly hard and a constant struggle, but it can be overcome. i just would worry that a site like this would not help you in your attempts to recover - surely you need to focus on getting the mind as healthy as the body, and a site that focuses so much on weight and calories etc is not the best aid for you recovery? i just do not want to see you in the vicious cycle of being a healthy weight, not coping with it, losing so much weight you become unhealthy, recovering, and then the cycle starts again.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    5'6" and 107 = BMI of 17.3. Are you sure you're looking for support to RECOVER?
  • servilia
    Options
    Also, if you're in high school you're underage to be on the site hon, unless you failed a grade or two. I think you should reevaluate your goals. You look beautiful the way you are. Concentrate on your grades, they'll take you farther in life than an unhealthy body size.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Just curious, but where is an age requirement on the website? I can't seem to find it in the forum rules or in the FAQs...
  • cervenec
    Options
    Also, if you're in high school you're underage to be on the site hon, unless you failed a grade or two. I think you should reevaluate your goals. You look beautiful the way you are. Concentrate on your grades, they'll take you farther in life than an unhealthy body size.

I don't want to speak for the main poster at all, but I think she probably can't concentrate on her grades. In my own experience, the depression you feel is overwhelming- an eating disorder is mental first, what you do to your body second imo. She realizes she is unhealthy, hence the recovery, but recovery is a really, really hard process. Developing healthy eating habits and a healthy view on food/weight takes ages and ages.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

my thought exactly. if you haven't RECOVERED then how can you trust yourself to lose weight? The eating disorder mind set will always want more weight loss. I say get healthy first. Besides, the OP is already at a healthy weight.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    wELL IT IS A SICKNESS SOMETIMES MY THOUGHTS CHANGE FROM MINUTE TO MINUTE ABOUT LOSING WEIGHT. YES I WANT TO GET BETTER BUT I HAVE THIS DRIVE INSIDE ME TO LOSE..LOSE MORE AND KEEP LOSING..NO MATTER HOW UNHEALTHY. BUT THEN I HAVE THOSE MOMENTS WHERE I WANT TO FIGHT LIKE HELL TO GET RID OF THIS DISEASE. IT HAS RUINED MY LIFE, MY BODY AND FOR WHAT?i UNDERSTAND THE DESIRE TO WANT TO LOSE AND WANT TO BE IN RECOVERY BUT REALLY IS THAT A GOOD WEIGHT FOR YOU. JUST PUTTING IT OUT THERE FOR YOU TO THINK ABOUT. HE LOWER YOUR WEIGHT GETS THE MORE THE THOUGHTS WILL BE HARDER TO CONTROL AND THE LESS CHANCE OF SUCCESS WITH RECOVERY. SORRY FOR THE CAPS..I DIDNT REALIZE IT AND I AM NOT STARTING OVER...WHAT DOES RECOVERY MEAN TO YOU MIGHT BE A QUESTION TO THINK ABOUT. RECOVERY COULD BE SOMETHING DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE..DEPENDING ON HOW LONG AND DIFFERENT THINGS IN YOUR LIFE. BUT IT WILL TAKES IT TOLL ON YOUR BODY. THAT I CAN PROMISE YOU. BEEN THERE DONE THAT. GLAD WE HAVE EACH OTHER TO BOUNCE ALL OF THESE THINGS OFFF OF EACH OTHER.
    ALSO FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE YOUNG AND STARTING OUT WITH YOUR EDS..FIGHT LIKE HELL TO GET RID OF IT NOW.IT WILL KILL YOU. AS MOST OF YOU KNOW ALL OF MY PHYSICAL PROBLEMS CAUSED BY MY ED. ALMOST DIED 2 TIMES. WISH I WOULD HAVE FOUGHT HARDER 20 YEARS AGO. TRUST ME IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE. GLAD TO SEE SO MANY PEOPLE ARE WORKING TOWARDS RECOVERY THOUGH!! kEEP FIGHTING GIRLS!
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

my thought exactly. if you haven't RECOVERED then how can you trust yourself to lose weight? The eating disorder mind set will always want more weight loss. I say get healthy first. Besides, the OP is already at a healthy weight.
    YEAH YOU DONT EVEN WANT TO KNOW WHAT MY BMI IS BUT I WANT TO RECOVERY..NOT ALWAYS THAT EASY THOUGH. LIVED LIKE THIS FOR 25 YEARS SO IT ISNT AN EASY THING TO GIVE UP EVEN THOUGH IT JUST SEEMS TO CAUSE ME MISERY AND PAIN(FOR THE MOST PART)
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Yes, me. Trying to recover anyway...feel free to add me as a friend.
  • PinkAndSparkle
    Options
    Hi! I was never diagnosed with anorexia, more purging disorder/EDNOS (restricting, purging, excessive exercise). You're really young, but it's good to be aware of relationship with food from a young age. I agree with previous posters: I think you shoud re-evaluate your goals. Try to maintain a BMI of 18 or so, and instead of working on calorie restriction, work on muscle building. You should try to get in at least 1200 calories a day, more if you're exercising excessively. Try to relax and have fun--college is when eating gets really hard, and if you get there with a negative relationship with eating, itll be even tougher. Good luck! You can add me, but be prepared for a lot of cheerleading to get your macros in!
  • Leo_Joy_HG
    Leo_Joy_HG Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm a recovering bulimic with anorexic tendensies. I've not long started using MFP and am finding it really useful to help me level out my cals.
  • sarahlovestorun
    sarahlovestorun Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who posted supportive messages :) To clear some things up:
    1. Recovery is the most important thing in my life right now. The more depressed I am, the more my grades suffer. The healthier I am, the smarter and stronger I am. I can't dismiss recovery and focus on grades right now.
    2. I AM looking for support to recover. I posted 107 as my goal weight- for now. Hopefully it will rise as my thinking clears up. I want to be small, but toned and STRONG. 107 is a lot different from previous goal weights of mine- such as 88.
    3. Anorexia has been a long journey for me, and it is finally taken a turn for the better. I am doing my best to keep a health mindset. This website has motivated me to eat HEALTHILY and MORE, and exercise regularly in HEALTHY AMOUNTS. MFP has been the least triggering website I've ever been a part of!

Thank you to everyone again!
  • sarahlovestorun
    sarahlovestorun Posts: 36 Member
    Options

I don't want to speak for the main poster at all, but I think she probably can't concentrate on her grades. In my own experience, the depression you feel is overwhelming- an eating disorder is mental first, what you do to your body second imo. She realizes she is unhealthy, hence the recovery, but recovery is a really, really hard process. Developing healthy eating habits and a healthy view on food/weight takes ages and ages.

Yes!!! Exactly! Thank you!
  • servilia
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who posted supportive messages :) To clear some things up:
    1. Recovery is the most important thing in my life right now. The more depressed I am, the more my grades suffer. The healthier I am, the smarter and stronger I am. I can't dismiss recovery and focus on grades right now.

You totally misunderstood me. Obviously I didn't mean you should dismiss recovery and focus on grades.
    I meant focus on grades instead of getting to an unhealthy weight of 107lbs.
    Good luck with recovery! :)