Christmas Breakfast!

Options
Nikki582
Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
Normally Christmas around our place involves a light breakfast at home with just our little unit, then we go to my dad's place where we have a massive Christmas lunch feast, following by going to my in-laws where we have another Christmas dinner feast.

This year my Dad's going away and my big bro wants to come over and share Christmas morning with us (before we go to lunch with the in-laws) so I'm on the hunt for some nyummy Christmas breakfast ideas! They don't have to be super healthy, but I'll take anything :)

FWIW My bro doesn't like eggs on their own - in things they're cool but I can't just do 'bacon and eggs'.

Also it's Australia and very hot in case that changes what recipes you recommend!

Cheers.

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :)
  • JULIEISCRAZY
    Options
    eat lard like me!!!
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :)

ditto!
  • chefchazz
    Options
    french toast casserole. google it. we have twice a year(fathers day and xmas) cuz it is sooooooo fn sinful........and fn delicious!!!!
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Egg bakes go well in our family. Just google egg bake and you will get many recipes. The good part is you can make it the night before and just throw it in the oven in the morning while you are opening gifts.
  • keenslk
    keenslk Posts: 126
    Options
    We always have a christmas breakie (with bubbles hehe)

We make a fresh fruit salad which is my fav (and what I will be indulging in this year) with pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, mango, peaches etc - use all fresh fruit that is key and serve with creamy greek yoghurt.

I also always make a bacon,egg, cherry tom and blue cheese quiche and some blueberry muffins, we also always have corrisants

we also light up the bbq and do sausies, bacon, eggs and mushrooms etc hmmmmm but you prob dont want to do that re the bacon and egg thing....

skinny taste website has great ideas if you want something more fancy :wink:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My sis usually has us over for Christmas breakfast, but it's stuff like egg casserole (she does it in the crockpot with hashbrown potatoes, sausage, green pepper, onion and cheese, super yummy) or overnight french toast (has a fruit topping, strawberry/banana/with cinammon and I don't know what else). We often will also have cinammon rolls and of course, Christmas cookies to nibble on after we open presents!!! This year I don't know what we'll eat, since the holiday is on a Sunday and we have a church service... if we make it, that is! Sis and I are both trying to eat heathier, so we may change things up a bit... or we may just splurge for the day anyway!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my day is pretty similar, nothing but eating and driving to the next place to eat some more...

I usually make french toast for the family on Chrissy morning, and have it with a bit of maple syrup and fresh strawberries. This year (trying to be a little more conscious of what I eat) I think I'll make a big fruit salad the night before. I'll have my protein smoothie before people arrive and have the fruit for breakfast instead of the french toast... well maybe i'll have half a piece :wink:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Christmas day needs to have a special breakfast so here are some links to some of my favourite brunch recipes:

Boxty (Irish potato pancakes) with crispy bacon & maple syrup.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/boxtywithcrispstreak_91836

Eggs benedict with smoked salmon & chives:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/73606/eggs-benedict-with-smoked-salmon-and-chives

Smoked salmon Kedgeree (scottish brunch rice dish)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/96610/smoked-salmon-kedgeree

Orrrr if you are looking for something sweet, how about waffles or pancakes and top with cream and one or a combo of the following festive flavours:

Mulled Raspberry & Cranberries- cooked down with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, orange juice & zest.
    Caramelised apples & cinnamon with maple syrup
    Crumbled up gingerbread cookies and cinnamon
    Warm black cherries and grated dark chocolate
    sweet mincemeat and toffee sauce
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    When I lived in NZ, we used to have masses of fresh seasonal fruit, smoked salmon with bagels or toast and cream cheese for those who wanted, and home-made cinnamon/raisin/chocolate/boozy brioche for Christmas breakfast. Masses of bubbles and fresh juice for Mimosas - it was a gorgeous way to start the day.
  • PenguinPrincess
    Options
    We have banana pancakes with a delicious banana sauce every Christmas morning.
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the super ideas! :D
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump