Granola ?

Options
Is homemade granola or homemade granola bars good? I've read that it really isn't good for you, I'm guessing "fat" wise...? Idk opinions please!

Replies

• SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    IMO it is way too many calories to make it worth it.
  • Juliette320
    Juliette320 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    What causes all the calories?
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

Carbs and fat.
  • saritaskr
    Options
    My fitness instructor just told me the other day that it's the sugar. It has a lot more sugar than people think... I didn't know that before.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Oats, nuts and often dried fruits are the main components. Add to that the fact that most granolas are "bound" by honey or another type of sugar, and you get a food that is very calorie dense. If you want to have some that's fine, but just remember that a little goes a long way.

IMO there is just way too much of everything (calories, sugar, fat) in it, even if it's homemade (and I have tried more than a few recipes), to make it a regular part of my diet.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola with whole oats, sunflower seeds, walnuts, dates, dried cranberries, just a touch of honey and only a 1/4 cup of canola oil in the whole recipe. Entering each ingredient on the recipe creator, I come out with 215 calories/1/3 cup serving without milk. This keeps me pretty full all morning.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If it's homemade it depends on the recipe. But even the best is really only usable as a garnish or sprinkling. I make it homemade from a Jane Brody recipe and will use small amounts in yogurt.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I freakin' LOVE granola! It is REALLY high in calories, though.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It can be healthy in moderation, lots of fiber and nuts and seeds have healthy fats. Try it sprinkled on non fat vanilla yogurt-YUMMY!!!!!
  • chazbo35
    chazbo35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love granola too but as someone already stated, its just not worth it. Perhaps for just a snack or once in a while thing in small quantities. Not all granola's are obviously created equal. Check into different kinds for yourself and see whats out there and you decide in your own diet =)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I found Chappaqua Crunch granolas. They are 110-120 cals per 1/3 cup! MUCH less sugar than most on the market. I like to add a couple tablespoons to my yogurt for either breakfast or a night time snack. They even have a couple that are gluten free. Check them out!

http://chappaquacrunchgranola.com/Pages/about.html
  • Juliette320
    Options
    I was really going to make my own mainly as a snack or breakfast. Im going to look into healthy recipes and see. I'm not looking to make it sweet and fat just healthy. Thank all of you (:
  • Juliette320
    Options

Carbs and fat.

When I asked I meant what part of the actual granola mixture lol (: