Runners help!

Options
Runners,

I started to train for a half marathon October 5th. I have been doing really well in my trainning but have hit a hault. I was running Monday, Tuesday off Wednesday, running Thursday off Friday, running Saturday and off on Sundays. I was doing well and this week I have not done anything and I am losing my motivation. The weather is getting cold and stress at work. What should I do? I am thinking of finding someone to run with so they will make me accountable.

Replies

• watchmelose2
    watchmelose2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You have to find a way to stay motivated! Good luck on finding someone to Run with, for that seems to be a problem for me...I cant even find anyone that want to walk..much less run! You need to make yourself accountable! Give yourself a goal and then give yourself a reward...Wish I could help! You just cant give yourself the option to not do it! Just go do it! I know you can! :drinker:

5369216.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    As a runner, staying motivated is the hardest part...I joined a local running club - and it helped tremendously. You can find one in your area if you go to http://www.rrca.org/

Good Luck with your training!
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I switched to the treadmill because i hate being cold,much better outside but i'm warmer
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I am as well loosing steam... when i wake up it is like 22 deg. I work evenings so I have to run in the morning.... I need help too!
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    When is the race?
    Set yourself little mini goals in the run up to the event, that might help. It works for me anyway. Good luck!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Pick yourself up by your shoe laces and get back at it! Cross train ... that will help boredom. Walk if necessary.

I've never met anyone who regrets sticking with a training program. I have, however, met many who were disappointed in themselves for not sticking with the program.

Where do you want to be on October 5?
  • leeanndelcourt
    leeanndelcourt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Use these couple of cold months to cross train. Switch things up a bit! Use and build different muscles and more endurance. You could go to a gym while it's cold, buy some good home DVD workouts, buy some snowshoes! Cross training is a great way to build endurance for running.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have been trying to do the C25K
    this is actually my second crack at it as I am the same way as you....I can't seem to keep motivated or I think about winter coming
    getting cold out & wonder if I'd be able to stick with it anyway. I have tried finding a friend to run with help keep me motivated
    & honest but so far no luck :( I am thinking of joining a running group in Feb though as I really want to do this!
    Too bad you don't live closer we could help suppport each other lol =) Good luck to you!
  • emgs52
    emgs52 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    no one will walk or run with me either
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Join one of the many challenges on here! :smile:

I've been doing the "move your @ss" for months, and knowing I want to meet my monthly mileage goal has gotten me out the door quite a few times. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/393833-november-move-your-ss-challenge
  • GownleyC2
    GownleyC2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My 1/2 Marathon is April 29th. I am not going to give up! I can go to the gym but my one friend told me I have to run outside to be ready for the marathon. I think I am going to run at the gym this week. Thanksgiving I am running 4 miles with family and friends. We call it our turkey trot. I think I will plan another run in December when my friends and family are in for the holidays. Thank you all for the advice! I will do this!! I don't give up on anything if you know me. I think I just have to cut back on all my work. I take on too much some times.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've done this so many times - I follow the training programme to the letter and then I lose momentum for a bit. Sometimes you need to take a break, both physically and mentally. You've got plenty of time to train, so in your position I'd do something different for the rest of the week and come back stronger next week.

Personally I found running more than three times a week just doesn't work for me - I need a clear day either side to make the most of each training session without burning out. I cross-train with lower impact cardio and weight training on the other days.

But everyone's different, just find the mix that works for you!

Feel free to add me if you want a virtual running buddy - I'm training for an April Marathon :flowerforyou:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    My 1/2 Marathon is April 29th. I am not going to give up! I can go to the gym but my one friend told me I have to run outside to be ready for the marathon. I think I am going to run at the gym this week. Thanksgiving I am running 4 miles with family and friends. We call it our turkey trot. I think I will plan another run in December when my friends and family are in for the holidays. Thank you all for the advice! I will do this!! I don't give up on anything if you know me. I think I just have to cut back on all my work. I take on too much some times.

Now there you go! Your friend is kind of right - it does help to run outside. However, you can adjust the incline on the treadmill to mimic being outside. Google treadmill inclines and you'll find a guide. 1% is minimum to set it at if you want to adjust it to what it's like outside. However, you'll want to adjust that higher if you're running a hilly half.

One strategy when using treadmill is to adjust the speed during commercials or incline during commercials. That will give you something to help break the boredom. Still, I've never been able to do more than 8 miles on a treadmill. Or as I like to refer to it as the "dreadmill."

Good luck!
  • allyfry
    allyfry Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The 2 biggest things I did to keep me running during the winter is 1) invest in good clothing and 2) get a dog. It takes some trial and error to figure out the right layering but once you have the right clothes, non-cotton, water resistant, breathable, it's a lot easier to get outside in not that great of weather. And when the dog has to go she won't take no for an answer, she's a 4-legged alarm clock. Getting out the door is half the battle.
  • GownleyC2
    Options
    Ally thanks, I need to get new clothes. I was thinking of getting a dog. Maybe this is the time.:tongue:
  • novaboi24
    novaboi24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Problem: Cold - Solution: Wear more clothes
    Problem: Not Motivated - Solution: Listen to music, watch a few movies to keep yourself pumped up.

The treadmill is great because you can control the speed so you can set yourself that target. But running in the cold increases your metabolism and is more realistic.
  • GownleyC2
    Options
    Ok, I ran this morning 3mile3s and I want to go for a run tonight 4miles. I'm not going to have time to run tomorrow will this be a bad idea?