Bean Sprouts as pasta?

Options
stephabef
stephabef Posts: 936 Member
Anyone know how to prepare bean sprouts like pasta? Should I boil them? I bought a bag and have some yummy tomato sauce prepared, so I was thinking about combining the two for dinner.

Replies

• AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Bean Sprouts don't need to be cooked, but if you want to warm them up I recommend steaming them.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Boiling them makes them smell NASTY. I had a Korean roommate for a while. She started boiling them before breakfast, trying to get her supper for work together. The smell was so strong & so horrible that it woke me up & I had to open all the doors & windows in the dead of winter to get rid of the smell.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    i love to use spaghetti squash for pasta, also you can use tofu shiratake noodles, havent tried them yet though, at Sprouts
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    i love to use spaghetti squash for pasta, also you can use tofu shiratake noodles, havent tried them yet though, at Sprouts

I love spaghetti squash as pasta! Don't have any on hand at the moment, though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think I'd either steam or stir fry them.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'd simply throw them in the sauce when the sauce is heating, personally. :happy:
  • Brandy0213
    Options
    I say just heat them up according to package directions!!! FABULOUS IDEA! KUDOS!
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    personally I steam/boil them and to me the smell isn't so bad... and I add them to my "whatever" meal I am making...
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Raw would be better. If you boil them, then they will get mushy and gross. You can stir fry bean sprouts with alittle fresh garlic and ginger, and maybe some onion. Just til they are hot. It leaves them still crisp and they are good then. I have used green beans instead of pasta. If you use canned green beans the broad beans or the flat ones are the best. Not bad with spagetti sauce. I bought some of those pasta noodles from the health food store, that are like 20 calories, but have yet to cook them. To me they look weird. My daughter said they are ok but chewy. And she also said not to get the kind that say zero calories as they smell like fish and she said she could not even wash the fish smell off of them.
  • Inebriated
    Options
    I'd boil them for 20 minutes on max (depending on the heat of your stove).
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    Lots of good ideas here, I never thought of using bean sprouts for pasta. I love spaghetti squash & have seen recipes & Racheal Ray using zucchini & carrot strips in place of pasta. Haven't tried it yet, but it all sounds good. I bet you could also use the brocolli stalks, cut into long thin strips...hmmmm. So many options!!!
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    sometimes I use Asparagus and put my spaghetti sauce on that... YUM!!!

great now I want bean sprouts! good thing I am doing groceries tonight hehehe
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I just warm mine in the micro or you can stir fry w/ a little olive oil. I love bean sprouts! Also love spaghetti squash instead of pasta!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I'd boil them for 20 minutes on max (depending on the heat of your stove).

Wooooooah no! Bean sprouts literally cook in seconds. I would warm your sauce and then add the bean sprouts for 1 minute at the end, until slightly softened.

I've never considered using bean sprouts instead of pasta, and I cant say the idea appeals to me but if you think it's palatable then fair game. Perhaps try bulking it out with ribbons of carrot and courgette (zucchini) done with a veg peeler.
  • Sidewalkcrusher
    Options
    My aunt and grandmother were doing weight watchers in the late sixties - early seventies and I weighed about 100 pounds soaking weight! But they made spaghetti using bean sprouts instead of pasta. It was GREAT!!! See if you can find the recipe through weight watchers?