Peanut Butter Question

Options
I'm a certifiable peanut butter junkie.....
I love it but not the fat or artificial stuff added to the "light" varieties. For me, it's all about the rich peanut taste, not texture. I was thinking about buying the "natural style" peanut buter and just pouring off all of the oil, leaving the peanutty goodness behind. Any thoughts on how to calulate calories & fat after draining the oil???

Thanks
:smile:

Replies

• JULIUSKITTY
    JULIUSKITTY Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I wish peanut butter is good!! think I will have some with celery!
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    There's a powdered version called PB2 that I understand is very good. I have yet to try it myself though. They make a chocolate one too!
  • deblc6836
    Options
    I suppose you could measure the amount of oil poured off and do the math to recalculate the nutritional information.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sure-- find the calorie count for peanut oil, then pour off the amount of oil from the jar into a measuring cup. Calculate the calories based on the amount in the measuring cup as peanut oil. Then, multiply the calories per serving of PB (I think it's 190) by the amount of servings in the jar (usually 7-8?). Take that number, subtract the amount of calories in the drained peanut oil, and then redivide that number by the servings per container number to find the "new" calorie count per serving.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    There is about 120 calories per tablespoon of vegetable oil. Will have to do the math, then recalculate each serving.
  • ebahde
    ebahde Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have tried both versions of PB2, regular and chocolate.....and I really liked them both. It's similar to your thought process. They press out all the oil and it leaves a powdered version of peanut butter, which you mix with water. It is not the exact same, but I like it a LOT better than any light peanut butter and it is only 45 calories per 2 tablespoons!!!
  • cmr9059
    cmr9059 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    where do you buy this PB2? I've never seen it!
  • jess_blonde
    jess_blonde Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    where do you buy this PB2? I've never seen it!

http://www.bellplantation.com/
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    pb2 does NOT taste like peanut butter..it's a spread yes...it doesnt really get at a peanut butter craving though (in my opinion).

It's about 20 calories less per serving if you drain the oil off of natural peanut butter.

http://eating-made-easy.com/2011/09/03/diy-reduced-fat-nut-butter/
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    pb2 does NOT taste like peanut butter..it's a spread yes...it doesnt really get at a peanut butter craving though (in my opinion).
    ^^^^
    This. I'm not crazy about it, the only way I've ever enjoyed it is reconstituted & eaten with Special K Multigrain Crackers. Even then...I'd rather spend those calories on something else much yummier.
  • jecka31
    jecka31 Posts: 284
    Options
    I eat the Smart Balance creamy PB as its rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. I don't really care if it puts me over on fats because its healthy fats.
  • mushalek
    Options
    I eat the Smart Balance creamy PB as its rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. I don't really care if it puts me over on fats because its healthy fats.

agreed! i mean yes of course you can drain the oil but when you are doing this your taking away all the healthy fats and just leaving the saturated fatty acids, i mean for 20 more calories might as well consume the healthy beneficial fats! that how i see it at least
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.... I'll be fooling around with the calculations..... I'm still hestiant on buying the PB2 because I tried the "better 'n peanut butter" substitute and thought it was terrible. It was "creamy" but the taste was really off for me.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Great thread. I too am a certified peanut butter addict. I consume Smucker's Natural Creamy peanut butter like it is going out of style. (Boy did I get a scare on the recent recall of the Chunky version, which luckily I do not use.) I have not tried PB2 because like a true addict, I find it very hard to even think about getting off the real stuff. Like others have mentioned, pouring off the oil, measuring it, then deducting the nutritional info off seems like it would work, but where is the fun in that? I would rather bust my tail and hop on the trainer for 30 minutes of additional cardio in order to compensate for my two tablespoons on a banana.

I know I need to start moderating my use of peanut butter. I guess I will have to find another addiction, or get a life scare, or, shoot, maybe enroll in some kind of twelve step program. :smokin:
  • RunningRachel2012
    Options
    I'm a little confused. In the UK we have organic natural peanut butter readily available, the ingredients are 97% peanuts, palm oil and salt. Could you not find real peanut butter like this which has a high peanut content? I don't really like the sound of PB2 - it sounds very artificial!! xx
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love PB2, but I don't mix it with water to make a peanut butter substitue (I don't think it works well that way). Instead, our whole family eats it sprinkiled on sliced bananas (fresh or frozen) or on light ice cream. We even often we eat it plain. We all love it.

As far as calculating calories after pouring off the oil, just to spell out what others have said above:

1. Multiply the calories per serving by the number of servings in the jar. Serving size is probably 2T.
    2. Measure how many tablespoons of oil you pour off and calculate those calories (look up peanut oil in the MFP database).
    3. Subtract the oil calories from the total jar calories. This gives you your "new total calories"
    4. Subtract the number of Tblsp of disposed oil from the total number of servings listed on the jar. This gives you your "new total servings" number.
    5. Divide "new total calories" by "new total servings" for your new calories per serving.
    6. Eat and enjoy!
  • ignatiusreilly
    ignatiusreilly Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the sound of PB2 - it sounds very artificial!! xx

PB2 is not artificial at all. They simply press out the oil from the peanuts and grind what's left into a fine powder. Completely natural and delicious.
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just allow and enjoy my peanut butter, yes it is higher cals, but fills me up for longer. (I have a lot less than I used to now I am monitoring my intake!)
    I also have the 'superfood' Almond butter.....this again is highish cals, but worthwhile...
  • ChristinelovesCraig
    Options
    The city where I grew up is where Teddy's Peanut Butter is made. Anyone who lives in New England knows about Teddy's. I have a full blown peanut butter addiction and I love Teddy's. The smell of roasted peanuts brings me back to my childhood....nom nom nom

I could eat the whole jar but I now only allow myself two teaspoons and use it in my breakfaast smoothie. It keeps me full and that salty sweet craving is taken care of.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I kill for anything peanut butter. One of my "rewards" for a good workout is a cup of earl grey tea with two GG Scandanavian Bran Crispbreads and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Gives me the pb & cracker experience withoutgoing overboard. When I want dessert, I spread the pb on the crackers, top with sliced banana, a tsp of honey, and sprinkle with cinnamon. To me can't deny what I want most - have to learn moderation.