Hunting

Options
poustotah
poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
This is completely off topic but I need some help. My hubby is interested in hunting. He's never been but he would like to learn so I was thinking of something 'hunting related' as a gift for Christmas and to encourage him. Problem is, I know even less about hunting. Sooo, where do I start? Is there a book that someone might recommend? Or even lessons or anything?

Thanks!!!

He wants to shoot deer and we live in Illinois (sorry, I forgot to mention that earlier).

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,971 Member
    Options
    Cabella's catalogue.
  • Elfinmajic
    Elfinmajic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would first ask if he wants to hunt with a gun, or a bow? There are so many accessories that you can buy it's amazing. If there is a local sporting goods store, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop or something like that, I would go there and talk with someone about it, and see if they have any suggestions.
    Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What does he want to hunt? Does he have friends who hunt? Does he have a gun (or bow, whichever he wants to hunt with)?
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    check out a local gun / hunting club they can help
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    We have a group titled Deer hunting. You might put your questions out there. I hunt but , geeze there are SO many things to buy. Where do you live? I am in Colorado and hunt almost everything. Friend me and you can see my diary. I eat mostly game meat. It is so lean and good for you!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    What kind of hunting and what will be the weapon?
    Birds and rabbits would use a shotgun.
    Deer a rifle at least .24/6 mm in caliber and preferably larger if allowed.
    Bowhunting a whole different thing
    Varmints depending on range a .223 or similar and larger.
  • hatescows
    hatescows Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How much are you wanting to spend?
    What type of hunting is he interested in, and with what type of weapon? Around here there are pheasant in season now, and deer season opens tomorrow.

I agree that Cabelas is a good starting point- maybe even a gift card so he can get what he wants.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a hunter's safety course. My state New Hampshire, for example, requires a person take one before obtaining their initial hunting license. I would also look for a local range or game club where he can meet other hunters and possibly find some people with experience to hunt with starting out.

Hunting is very enjoyable, but there is a great responsibility that goes along with it.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend a hunter's safety course. My state New Hampshire, for example, requires a person take one before obtaining their initial hunting license. I would also look for a local range or game club where he can meet other hunters and possibly find some people with experience to hunt with starting out.

Hunting is very enjoyable, but there is a great responsibility that goes along with it.

This is a great idea. Maybe I could sign him up for something like this and he could get a taste of what it takes to hunt.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Depending on the laws where they live or where he will be hunting. Some places are shotgun only.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Google your state's website for information on the laws in your state, where to find the hunting courses, etc. They will also have free guide with the seasons and limits and other useful information.
  • Maryfullofgrace
    Maryfullofgrace Posts: 342 Member
    Options

I agree, hunter's safety course is good. Once you learn what he wants to hunt, there is a neat cookbook called "Eat Like a Wild Man" which would be a fun gift. It is a fish and game cookbook. Might get him eager to choose his "target" so to speak.

Another nice gift would be a subscription to Field and Stream Magazine. It is good reading, has nice stories and informative articles on hunting and fishing and outdoorsy stuff. Also good short stories are in the magazine. I enjoy reading it very much.
  • vjsavini
    vjsavini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As a longtime hunter and hunter safety instructor, my advise to you is to contact the fish and wildlife agency where you live. They will tell him where the hunter safety course is offered in your state. You can attend too, so you can see what its all about. They should also have maps of all of the public hunting lands in your state. There is a lot of good information out there. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

Depending on the laws where they live or where he will be hunting. Some places are shotgun only.

True and honestly would advise a person take some shooting lessons and then start out with some game that is easier to find.
    One has to find out if they can actually kill an animal,it is not something now a days that is a given.

In another answer to the OP...a book of game recipes,not going to get dogmatic on the issue but feel a person should eat what they kill.
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Membership to a sportsman club.

Hunter safety course (bow or rifle)

Gift card to cabella's

Don't buy him a weapon of any kind, that's like trying to buy underwear for a stranger... You'll never get it right.