School?

Options
Hey guys. :)

I'm still in high school, and I seem to find myself STARVING during school. I have a light breakfast before I leave (cup of cereal or one egg & toast), then I'll have some nuts during my first period, around 8am. I don't have lunch until 12:15, so I usually end up pulling out the two granola bars I have for lunch around 10:30-11:15 and eating them then. I don't eat again until I get home around 2:30, where I totally binge on ANYTHING, eating almost 4 tbsps almond butter and crackers... and anything else I can find.

Should I eat more during school? What should I eat? And when? I'm just so hungry when I get home I think I can eat anything, and then I feel sick for the rest of the night because I binged. Also, the funny thing is, when I work my retail job on the weekend, I'll have a Cliff bar for breakfast, not eat anything until 5pm when I get off, and I'm not even hungry! What's the deal?

Replies

• Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I think that you definitely need more food at school. Do you have recess and lunch? or just lunch? Don't worry about what anyone thinks of your eating at school, just be healthy and happy.

You already know that you need more food at school. Your body is telling you that you need more food at school, and binging after school is not going to do you any good.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I had this problem in high school too. What worked for me was packing buttloads of healthy snacks string cheese, crackers, yogurt... anything that wouldnt take up lots of room in my locker/bag. Lunch will go a lot better if you PACK something, lol. I started packing lunch and lost five pounds simply from not eating school lunch. If you're very active, you have to start eating more. It's why you go on that classic after school OMG IM STAAARVING raid that a lot of us rememeber. Activity = more food your body demands!!! XD
  • maycontainjane
    maycontainjane Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I strongly believe that hunger is in your head a lot more than you think. That being said, it really messes with your eating habits.

School's tough to work around, but I found a plan that sort of works for me. Five meals a day, spaced pretty evenly. Looks something like:

Breakfast, 275 cal (6:30 AM)
    Lunch 1, 250 cal (I have this during school lunch, around 11:50)
    Snack, 150 cal (around 1:30 or two, during school)
    Lunch 2, 250 cal (5:00 PM)
    Dinner, 275 cal (8:00 PM)

I find this keeps me going throughout the day, and by eating light foods I get to eat a big breakfast, which helps the mid-morning cravings. As for the late night binge, this plan is so structured that I rarely feel the urge to overeat at night, especially knowing I get to eat twice an evening!

Good luck!
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    in high school, your body is still developing (yeah, even at like 17-18 yrs old) your intake should be higher than an adults intake would be.
    If you try to eat as little as 12-1500 cals a day- you are just starving your-still-growing body
  • littlelua
    Options
    Thanks guys! :) I'll change my intake and see what happens...
  • miw14
    miw14 Posts: 43
    Options
    You sound a lot like me, but with hunger. I also have a light breakfast (cereal-200-250 cals), and I eat a very small lunch. I eat around 1150, and I normally have just an apple or an orange for lunch. I really wasn't hungry at all last school year, so I rarely ate lunch. I was having an on and off pain in my stomach from not eating, luckily this year I eat the aforementioned things for lunch. I'm always surprised that I'm able to go from 5:30 ( Time I wake up) to 3 (time I get home) on 250-350 calories. I also dealt with binge eating after school last year ( I would consume probably over 500 calories of crap food in just 30 minutes) , which really hampered my weight loss. I now eat lunch and make better choices for after-school snakes. I would recommend that you eat more calories during the day, but try to control the after-school munchies. You might want to try a large breakfast, that works for some people.