Anybody trying to gain?

Options
Hi everyone,

For a while, I've felt quite unhappy with my body. I've always been skinny, and combined with the fact that I'm short I just didn't like the look it was giving me. Although skinny looks great on some people, for me I'd rather be more curvacious. Also - skinny isn't great when you're not that toned! I need some kind of tone to hold everything to hold everything together.

I'm about 4'11" and weigh 95lbs, at 20 years old. While that's not unhealthy, I do wish I weighed more. It makes me look even shorter than I am to be so skinny! Friends around my height just look so much better at 100+. My goal is 110lbs. Although I know I'm never going to be Kim Kardashian, she's about 120 and only a couple of inches taller than me so for that type of weight I'm aiming for 110. For the past week I've been eating between 2,400 - 3,300kcals daily and eating more protein than fat. I don't eat any processed foods and my daily diet goes something like this:

Breakfast - muesli with whole milk and extra raisins, banana, small handful of mixed nuts, glass of orange and grapefruit juice
Lunch - cheese toasties (4 slices of bread)
Dinner - spiced rice with a little veg and 4 chicken drumsticks baked in oil
Snacks - kiwi, apple, fruit salad, 2 milkshakes made with whole milk

I drink tea and high juice (which helps me get a lot of water and is also really quite high kcal).

I try to do some toning exercises, but I'm afraid to do too much incase it burns off so many kcals that my good work is done.

Is anyone trying to do the same thing? Has anyone got any weight gain tips please? Thanks!

Replies

• grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    French cooking.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yep yep. I'm in gain mode. I'm eating about 500 cals over maintenance every day and lifting like an animal 3x a week. I've also cut my cardio down to about once a week, which I have mixed feelings about (torn between sacrificing cardio fitness and sacrificing muscle).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Do you want to gain muscle? You need to lift heavy while eating more if this is your goal. You'll gain some fat too.
  • CountingTheStars
    Options
    Thanks, and good luck to the others :) Is toning up the same as gaining muscle?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Thanks, and good luck to the others :) Is toning up the same as gaining muscle?

Not sure. The definition of "toning" is a tricky one. You need to be lifting heavy to gain muscle. Most of the time "toning" refers to high reps, low weights. This will not encourage muscle mass gain.