Strategies for abs

Options
Before I look like a total nut, asking for the thousandth time probably the most common question ever asked by anyone, I've done a lot of reading and research; my problem is that it's all super jumbled and incoherent. I get a lot of different information from different sources so I thought I'd try to get something from talking to someone directly.

What I understand is that you only get the defined abs when you get your body fat to a certain level ~10%. Some recommend crunches and other similar exercises. Some recommend more cardio to bring that body fat down.

So how should I go about doing this? More cardio? More crunches? 50/50 split?

Regardless of which, I know it's a long slog but I'm committed to achieving this.

Replies

• SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    bump....curious to see the answers.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Diet, diet, diet. That's truly all their is to it seeing ab definition is determined by one thing. That one thing is that your body fat is at a low enough percentage to make abs visible. Don't get me wrong crunches can make the ab muscles larger and stronger but we all have abs its just we have layers of fat covering them up.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Diet, diet, diet. That's truly all their is to it seeing ab definition is determined by one thing. That one thing is that your body fat is at a low enough percentage to make abs visible. Don't get me wrong crunches can make the ab muscles larger and stronger but we all have abs its just we have layers of fat covering them up.

Yup! No need to do a billion crunches. Abs are a muscle group and need rest too don't forget! Just make sure to lift and get adequate protein and fat while you cut to avoid "skinnyfat"
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Reducing body fat definitely helps your abs show... but I don't think it's a clear cut # like 10%. I have ~23% body fat (I'm guessing; haven't checked since I lost weight), and my abs are rocking! I carry the fat lower...

And yeah, sit ups. I do P90X.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Unfortantly it's all bout what you eat, which is why I will never have a flat stomach. Freakin food why it gotta be so damn good:frown:
  • jlchow
    jlchow Posts: 40
    Options

Is there a specific diet that I should be on or is it simply keeping calories low? In theory could I eat whatever I wanted as long as I burn enough to keep bringing body fat down?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Unfortantly it's all bout what you eat, which is why I will never have a flat stomach. Freakin food why it gotta be so damn good:frown:
    As long as you maintain a calorie deficit, it will happen to a degree eventually...results will vary based on genetics. You don't have to eat 'clean' or anything specific, just lose weight and make as much of that weight fat as you can, by eating a good portion of protein and doing exercise.
  • killagb
    Options

Is there a specific diet that I should be on or is it simply keeping calories low? In theory could I eat whatever I wanted as long as I burn enough to keep bringing body fat down?
    What you just said is just it. Eat what you want as long as you keep losing weight. As you get closer to the goal you will get better results by doing the loss slower, to maintain more lean body mass.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

No specific diet. Hit your macros and a moderate calorie deficit.
  • LennieSmall
    Options
    Keep in mind while you consider the above that men and women have different healthy body fat ranges. I think 10% body fat for a man is healthy, but is too low for a woman.
  • sonnyless
    sonnyless Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A consistent clean diet to get rid of the belly fat. I'm working on this myself. And all of my gym instructors promote planks for strengthening.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yep. This is the first place body stores fat for energy and the last place it's willing to give it up. The only way to get to the abs is to reach a highly athletic body fat level. I've been busting my gut (literally. and yes, pun intended) to get to the abs. I recently had an immersion test to get an accurate read on body fat. I'm currently at 17% and can only just see a whisper of abs. And only immediately after the workout, before things relax.

One note of caution from my trainer. Once below 20% your body is more likely to sacrifice muscle then to lose fat. To get down to that level of body fat you have to keep working it hard, and bump your protein intake way the heck up until you arrive at that point. I'm supposed to get 120 to 130 grams of protein a day, which has me sucking down shakes all freaking day.
  • killagb
    Options
    Yep. This is the first place body stores fat for energy and the last place it's willing to give it up. The only way to get to the abs is to reach a highly athletic body fat level. I've been busting my gut (literally. and yes, pun intended) to get to the abs. I recently had an immersion test to get an accurate read on body fat. I'm currently at 17% and can only just see a whisper of abs. And only immediately after the workout, before things relax.

One note of caution from my trainer. Once below 20% your body is more likely to sacrifice muscle then to lose fat. To get down to that level of body fat you have to keep working it hard, and bump your protein intake way the heck up until you arrive at that point. I'm supposed to get 120 to 130 grams of protein a day, which has me sucking down shakes all freaking day.
    Always remember it's far better to get as much protein from foods as you can, rather than supplements. Typically, this means chowing down a lot of meat(one of the easier ways anyhow) :drinker: