calorie counting?

Options
Hi everyone!

So I've had a lot of ups and downs when it comes to weight and calorie counting. I was just wondering whether counting calories is something I want to do for the rest of my life. I look at my brother and he eats what his body wants and he is fine. He is in shape and lives life without it revolving around food.

I've gone through an anorexia phase and even though, I'm recovered weight wise, I find my days are still focused on food because I log all my foods and calories. MFP has been amazing for sure and the people have been amazing here but what do you guys think? will you be counting calories and logging them for the rest of your life?

Although I love MFP, sometimes I wish I could be like my brother. Calorie counting definitely helps me to maintain but I don't know if it's something I want to do for the rest of my life.

Replies

• MrsKimball
    Options
    I think that this site will just help make you better aware of what is good for you and what isn't. Eventually you won't need to count every calorie because you'll just be used to making healthier choices and taking care of yourself. :)
  • Riquel2000
    Options
    I understand what you're saying. I have gone through border-line anorexia myself as it just seems to be easier NOT to eat then to try to monitor the eating. I think, for me, I'm finding that MFP is just making me more and more aware of the calories that are in food and how hard it is to burn even a couple hundred calories. I doubt that I will do this my whole life, but believe that I will come to a point where I will be aware enough of the calories in foods to monitor my intake without a specfic count. It certainly has had me thinking twice before I reach for so much as a mint---that I used to think was "harmless"! God bless you in your journey.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    What I've found is that after a year or so of calorie counting, I know how pretty much what my calories feel like when I'm on track and when I'm not. I think it's really important to have a full awareness of what you're consuming. Most people fly blind and say "I don't eat that much" and then when they count, they're astonished to find they're way up there. I'd rather know the truth. Calorie counting isn't a big deal to me. I haven't had an ED before, so I also don't know what that feels like, though.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm fairly certain that I will be logging my food for the rest of my life...not necessarily calorie counting, but logging. Not logging i.e, paying attention, to what I was putting into my body is what got me here in the first place. It's not worth the risk to me that I will end up back where I started, so I will continue this forever.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    for one year ill be counting and weighing almost every calorie. i figure by the time a year is up ill have a great feel for what i should be eating. at that time ill reassess and see if i need/want to continue doing it. hopefully by then ill be eating a caloric surplus. :D
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I know lots of people who are slim and who do not count calories. For me, I need to. Every time I don't control my eating, I lose control. I'd like to be the type of person who is relaxed and just doesn't overeat, but for now I will accept that this is what I need to do to get my weight under control.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories for the past 4 years, I plan on counting for the rest of my life.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    When i first started MFP, i felt great about it. after a couple weeks, i found the logging tedious, but continued because I was afraid not to. Now it is just another part of my day. planning what I eat, just like planning what to wear. I don't know if i will log forever or not, just one day at a time.
  • LoonyBird720
    LoonyBird720 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've been counting calories/weight watchers for 4 years. The minute I stop counting calories it seems like I automatically gain 5 pounds lol. I've gotten to where I realize it's just not worth it to stop. I have come to accept that I will never be that girl who can just eat whatever she wants and never gain a pound...unfortunately keeping this daily habit is the only thing that will keep me from spiraling out of control. Every time I let go, I end up regretting it.