Working out on sore muscles?

Options
Whew! My muscles haven't hurt this much in a while, and all I did was a power circuit training DVD that usually works me hard but doesn't cause this much discomfort. Hamstrings, glutes, and chest are in quite a bit of pain. Do you guys recommend working out tomorrow? If so, what do you recommend (keep in mind I'm gymless)? I had plans to run, but it's FREEZING and I'm still waiting on my warmer running clothes to come in.

Replies

• mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I would take a rest day if you are hurting that badly. Your muscles probably need time to rest/ heal from the workout.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Light cardio and stretching will benefit you, working them hard again I would not generally recommend as it is counter productive to muscle repair. I also recommend ensuring your protein intake is higher than mfp numbers to allow for muscle repair from strenuous workouts.
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    No. Eat a ton of protein, drink lots water, and get lots rest. If tommorow the pain is minimum, then maybe.

But you know your bod better than us. If you hurt enough to complain, take a day off.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Gotcha. Maybe I'll take the morning off and regroup in the evening, then? I might do some pilates. I'm just doing my best not to make excuses, and I want to kiss the Thanksgiving guilt goodbye already! Thanks for the advice, guys.
  • sittin_pritty
    Options
    I would probably say no, have the day off from training. Maybe try a really good stretch out session instead, or if you have a yoga DVD that is basic as that might help you stretch out. If you are really sore, your body will just need time to heal up and if you do train, you will find that you won't be able to do anything for longer.

The positive is that you have worked hard, so your body is going to be better for it in the long run :) As long as it is not an injury kind of sore that is!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I was sore after yesterdays workout but I did todays anyways and I didn't really feel sore while actually doing the workout. I'm sore now though lol. but I think it will pass once I get used to working out so hard. so I say push through it, just make sure you warm up and stretch plenty so you don't get injured!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Take a nice walk, helps the muscles release the lactic acid.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Whew! My muscles haven't hurt this much in a while, and all I did was a power circuit training DVD that usually works me hard but doesn't cause this much discomfort. Hamstrings, glutes, and chest are in quite a bit of pain. Do you guys recommend working out tomorrow? If so, what do you recommend (keep in mind I'm gymless)? I had plans to run, but it's FREEZING and I'm still waiting on my warmer running clothes to come in.

I always find that I nice swim helps me, but since you're gymless, I'd recommend yoga