Hula Hoops?

Options
I've been hearing a lot lately about hula hooping for exercise. Apparently it's a great cardio and core workout.

I'd like to get a hula hoop and a workout DVD to start with, to check it out, but I have absolutely no idea where to start.

It seems like from what I've seen online that there are different weights for different levels an sizes of people? I am 5'4'' and 130 pounds, and I would consider myself intermediate level as far as working out and cardio.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? I'm at a loss, but I really want to check out this hula hooping thing!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• k9hrd
    k9hrd Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I tried that for awhile...no DVD's or anything...but the time went by SO slow while I was hula-ing....felt like FOREVER to get to 10 minutes!
  • jaabee11
    jaabee11 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    It's fun on the Wii Fit Plus and seems t burn the calories. Virtual hula hoop of course but same action.
  • marylou1976
    marylou1976 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    and there was me thinking you were talking about the crisps oops!!!
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    the ladies at my Curves swear by them ~ when I go tomorrow, I will ask to see if they can recommend anything for you. One of them religiously hula hoops daily for 30 minutes using both hoops weighing a total of 7 lbs (one 3 & one 4lb hoop) & she looks fabulous!!

I can't hula hoop because of my knee replacement surgery ~ bummer!!
  • rthompson81
    rthompson81 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    the ladies at my Curves swear by them ~ when I go tomorrow, I will ask to see if they can recommend anything for you. One of them religiously hula hoops daily for 30 minutes using both hoops weighing a total of 7 lbs (one 3 & one 4lb hoop) & she looks fabulous!!

I can't hula hoop because of my knee replacement surgery ~ bummer!!

Thanks, that would be great! I really appreciate it.
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I put my Ipod on and hula hoop, I love it. I just bought a regular hoop and I just go until I'm tired. It is a good workout. I use my HRM to track my calorie burn. When I was researching it, it seems that it is easier to use the weighted hoop becayuse it stays up better, so I was glad I bought a regular hoop, because I have to work harder to keep it up. When this gets boring to me, I will buy a DVD, but my music is good and it keeps me pretty motivated. Best of luck.
  • Tarshlee
    Tarshlee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i use to just hula with a hoop that was my mums with my ipod in ears so i would just wiggle with the songs for about 10 or so mintues, normally gets ya puffed a bit too. i can never quiet work out what to do with my arms though, they always get so tired from trying to avoid hitting the hoop lol
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A quick Google turned this site up. All weights of hoops and DVDs to boot.
    http://www.sports-hoop.com/indmain_sportshoop.aspx
  • rthompson81
    Options
    I put my Ipod on and hula hoop, I love it. I just bought a regular hoop and I just go until I'm tired. It is a good workout. I use my HRM to track my calorie burn. When I was researching it, it seems that it is easier to use the weighted hoop becayuse it stays up better, so I was glad I bought a regular hoop, because I have to work harder to keep it up. When this gets boring to me, I will buy a DVD, but my music is good and it keeps me pretty motivated. Best of luck.

Thanks! I may start off there and invest in all the expensive stuff later if I decide that I like it. I do find that I do better when I have someone guiding me though, which is why I thought a DVD would be helpful.
  • rthompson81
    Options
    A quick Google turned this site up. All weights of hoops and DVDs to boot.
    http://www.sports-hoop.com/indmain_sportshoop.aspx

That's a great site... thank you!
  • cofakid
    cofakid Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    i just got a cheap kids one. its a great exercise it burns calories and its good for your abs. i dont do it as often as i should but its a good option to have available. you can you tube some videos to help you along if you want that aspect. i youtubed a lot to help with technique although im still not that great it burns alot.