green smoothies - premade & frozen???

Options
rvice2
rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
I really want to start having more smoothies and I would really like to make some green smoothies as I am always lacking in my vegetables. However, I want to have them for a snack at work. It's not possible for me to blend them while at work. Can I make them prior and freeze them? That way when I pack them they will begin thawing and will still be thick and cold by the time I am ready for my a.m. snack.

Also, any suggestions on the best green smoothie books or recipes? I do like to try and eat clean so it can't be anything with added 'junk'! Thanks!

Replies

• Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I take a green smoothie to work every day - I blend it up in the morning and either put it in a shaker bottle and store in the fridge at work, or use a cooled thermos if it's a warmer day. I have never frozen them - I don't know if they would be as smooth if they were thawed? Not sure. As for recipe ideas - I use a banana, an apple and 1/4 avocado blended first with a little water, then add about 8 leaves of romaine lettuce (the big darker green outer leaves where I can) plus 4-6 cups of baby spinach or regular spinach, or silverbeet (chard) or kale (although I use less kale as I'm still getting used to it!) and then blend it up again, adding water where necessary - then some ice at the end. The avocado adds a small amount of good fats and makes the smoothie really creamy. This makes about 1.5 litres or thereabouts, which then gets divided between me and my SO - who is hooked on them (I'm so proud!). Have you read any of Victoria Boutenko's "Green" books? They're packed with information and well worth a look.

Good luck! K x
  • hoycano
    Options
    Just joined the MFP website. I saw your recipe for your green smoothie. A few weeks ago I came across a green recipe of my own. This is awesome, looks a little funky, but awesome. I have one most mornings. I will make sure to give yours a try.

Ingredients [ View Metric ]
    1/2 cupfiltered water
    1 1/2 cupsgreen grapes
    1/2 green apple
    1/2 avocado
    1/2 cupkale
    1/2 cupspinach
    1 scoopwhey protein powder
    1 cupice

Just throw all this in a blender. blend until smooth.