Low Blood Pressure?

Options
I went to the dentist today and had my blood pressure taken. (Why they needed my blood pressure to fix my tooth I have no idea...) But anyways, it read 89/61. Apparently that's pretty low. I'm 19 and pretty healthy so I couldn't imagine why it would be that low. I've been on this diet just about two weeks now. And before I had gone to the dentist I had eaten whole grain oatmeal, a nutrigrain bar and a salad. (which is pretty typical.) I went in the afternoon and wasn't any more hungry then I typically have been since I started this new diet. My daily calorie goal is 1350, which I'm told is pretty reasonable. So I'm just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this going into their diet and is it just something your body does while adjusting to eating less food than it's used to. Is this perfectly normal, or should I be eating more food? Also, I usually eat lighter meals during the day and a bigger meal for dinner.. That's just how my life works and I'm much more hungry in the evening for whatever reason. So maybe I should just spread my calories out more evenly? I dunno.. Advice appreciated! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've always had low blood pressure - even when I was 203lbs.

My mom had it when she was younger (though hers had increased by the time she was my age). I would mention it to your doctor the next time you see him/her. Just to let them know. Be aware that lower blood pressure CAN cause dizzy spells and even fainting. I can't get up too quickly or I will get very dizzy.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    My blood pressure is always right at 90/60. That is not an unhealthy low. When I was your age it was 90/40 and that was low enough that I occasionally got dizzy when I stood up. The doctor's solution was for me to stand up slowly. That worked. I'm sure yours is just lower than what they are used to seeing, especially considering how nervous some people get just because they are in the dentist office!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Did they try taking it more than once? Has it been that low in the past? Could just be an error.
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do you have any idea of what your previous blood pressure readings have been?
    Sometimes its hard to tell what is normal after a one off reading like that, it could have been as simple as the equipment reading faulty (happens alot especially automatic machines)
    There is nothing much wrong with low blood pressure if its normal for you, mines routinely around 90/55 which i function fine at, when my partners blood pressure dropped due to some medication and his was about the same as mine he couldnt stand up. The only time having normally low blood pressure is a problem is during pregnancy when it tends to drop further in the 2nd trimester which usually leads to lots of fainting.

Embrace your super healthy blood pressure and be pleased its one health problem you dont need to worry about! :happy:
  • Rosepetals11
    Rosepetals11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys that makes me feel alot better! As far as I remember my blood pressure has always been pretty average. When I was pregnant my pressure dropped so low I fainted, but I was also throwing up 5 times a day and surviving off gold fish crackers for 2 months, lol. And then at the end of my pregnancy I was diagnosed with preeclampsia (high blood pressure) and they were going to induce me if I didn't go into labor the following week (which I did). My mom is anemic and my dad has high blood pressure, so genetics is a little confusing can't tell much there. And I was pretty nervous to be at the dentist. So I'm sure I'll live. lol
  • PINKSPARKLEQUEEN1965
    Options
    I wish I had low blood pressure (:-)"
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your Doctor. It is not normal and just because it is low doesn't mean it is healthy. I battle (yes battle since I'm fighting it, not living with it) with Adrenal Fatigue. Please google 30 signs and symptoms of adrenal fatigue. If they match, please talk to your Dr. about it. Some Doctors are not too sure about it but make sure you have a Dr. that listens to your concerns. I know you can not self diagnose especially via internet, so please get some support. This is just one of the warning signs for me. I hope it is nothing, but if it is bothering you make sure to follow up.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Please talk to your Doctor. It is not normal and just because it is low doesn't mean it is healthy. I battle (yes battle since I'm fighting it, not living with it) with Adrenal Fatigue. Please google 30 signs and symptoms of adrenal fatigue. If they match, please talk to your Dr. about it. Some Doctors are not too sure about it but make sure you have a Dr. that listens to your concerns. I know you can not self diagnose especially via internet, so please get some support. This is just one of the warning signs for me. I hope it is nothing, but if it is bothering you make sure to follow up.

For some people it IS normal for their blood pressure to be low. I am one of those people. It has always been low and my mom's was low when she was younger. So, while it should be something you mention to your doctor - just to be sure. It doesn't always indicate a problem or an underlying issue.
  • Rosepetals11
    Rosepetals11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Heh... Yea, about that. I kinda don't have health insurance, lol. One of the many advantages of being young and poor! The thing is when they took it I didn't feel fatigue or anything.. Who knows maybe it was just a wrong read. But once I get on a plan if it keeps up I'll look into it. (:
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I noticed I had a lower blood pressure 2 years ago, because sometimes i was feeling very dizzy. My doctor told me to eat more salty foods and (grandma's advice) to drink coffee.
    But what i noticed is that coffee like espresso, machiatto MAKE me feel dizzy. Once I had two machiattos in 2 hour period and it was the time when i was the closest to fainting. I even lost sight for a couple of seconds.
    But i noticed, since im on a diet, i try to eat fiber and avoid espresso, i feel much better.
    haven't been dizzy in a long time. so just try eating clean and avoid junk food, DON'T starve yourself, but if you're feeling very bad something salty (cheese, chips-don't count calories, as long as it helps) and have a little rest and you'll feel better.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I also have low blood pressure. While in some cases it can be as dangerous as high blood pressure, as long as you mention it to your doctor and listen to the reply you should be fine :)

My blood pressure has been low from my teens til present consistently. My pulse is also ultra high (usually goes with low blood pressure) and the doctor has said that they will keep an eye on it. If someday it is lower than it has been, they will have to give me meds to pump it up. But for now, I am totally fine in that area. :)

I will say though, that low salt diets DO NOT go well with low blood pressure! On my low sodium days I feel dizzy, tired, and lethargic. My muscles just do not want to go. Eat some salty crackers or sprinkle salt on your next meal and BAM. feeling good again. Plus: if you increase your water intake as you start to eat healthier, make sure your salt goes up a little bit with it, too. Some days I drink 200oz of water and have 800mg of salt... those aren't good days. ;)
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    For some people it IS normal for their blood pressure to be low. I am one of those people. It has always been low and my mom's was low when she was younger. So, while it should be something you mention to your doctor - just to be sure. It doesn't always indicate a problem or an underlying issue.

Agreed. My wife has always had low blood pressure. There have been times at the doctor's office when it was double and triple checked, because they thought it had been misread. It has never posed a health problem for her.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I wish I had low blood pressure (:-)"

I was about to write the same thing but very low blood pressure comes with problems too, mine use to be very high but now it stays normal, at about 120/115 depending what I ate. Im trying to eat more healthy.