For Women Only**

Options
Does anyone else gain weight during PMS even when they stay within their calorie goal?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Yes we all do.

It's called water retention and has absolutely nothing to do with fat.
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's happened to me and a lot of the women I know.

Bloating or water retention is common during PMS. Try reducing salt consumption and increasing water consumption. Less salt means less water retention, and better hydration will help alleviate some symptoms of PMS.

Source: http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/nutrition_pms.html
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Yep, and will drop off on or a few day after period starts
  • Jackpalm
    Options
    ok, because I thought I had a great week and my scale is not helping my motivation!
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    ok, because I thought I had a great week and my scale is not helping my motivation!

lol Yeah, I feel your pain. Don't let a weight gain on the scale for a single week get you down. The body can retain a crazy amount of water and fluctuate drastically throughout the week. If the scale shows a bad things two weeks in a row, that's when you maybe should start to think about making some adjustments to your routine. :)
  • Jackpalm
    Options

lol Yeah, I feel your pain. Don't let a weight gain on the scale for a single week get you down. The body can retain a crazy amount of water and fluctuate drastically throughout the week. If the scale shows a bad things two weeks in a row, that's when you maybe should start to think about making some adjustments to your routine. :)
  • Jackpalm
    Options
    Thanks! :)
  • Rsjessen
    Options
    Honestly, it doesn't really happen to me :i
    guess I'm lucky

But I have heard that most girls "bloat" when they have that time of the month.
  • lottie_28
    Options
    I think you should avoid the scale until the end of your period. Your uterine lining builds up before your period, this is what the weight gain is. Sorry for being crude but if you think of the fluid expelled whilst on your period... it's quite a lot! And that's all in your system before your period starts. When I know I'm a few days from my period I stop weighing, and then do a proper weigh in the day after it finishes.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Drinkng a lot of extra water should help.
  • Jackpalm
    Options
    Will try to limit salt and up my water intake, I hope next week is better!!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    my water retention overall - daily fluctuations and TOTM has improved loads since went low carb. only going up by 1 lb a day daily and 2-3 lbs at monthlies instead of 6lbs + for over a week before it started coming back off again previously.