1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 6- to 6-1/4-ounce package long-grain and wild-rice mix, such as Uncle Ben's
1/4 cup water
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
1 pound cooked, shelled and deveined shrimp
Hot-pepper sauce (optional)

Directions
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, onions, bell pepper, rice mix with seasoning packet, water, garlic, and Cajun seasoning.
2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
3. Stir shrimp into rice mixture. Cover; cook for 15 minutes longer at high-heat setting. Sprinkle with hot-pepper sauce if desired.

Nutrition facts per serving: 223 calories, 21g protein, 32g carbohydrate, 2g fat (0g saturated), 3g fiber

Replies

• Nlongenecker
    Options
    Cajun Shrimp and Rice

Makes: 6 servings

Ingredients
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
    1 14-ounce can chicken broth
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1 6- to 6-1/4-ounce package long-grain and wild-rice mix, such as Uncle Ben's
    1/4 cup water
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
    1 pound cooked, shelled and deveined shrimp
    Hot-pepper sauce (optional)

Directions
    1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, onions, bell pepper, rice mix with seasoning packet, water, garlic, and Cajun seasoning.
    2. Cover; cook on low-heat setting 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
    3. Stir shrimp into rice mixture. Cover; cook for 15 minutes longer at high-heat setting. Sprinkle with hot-pepper sauce if desired.

Nutrition facts per serving: 223 calories, 21g protein, 32g carbohydrate, 2g fat (0g saturated), 3g fiber
  • mutsey
    mutsey Posts: 11
    Options
    This sounds really good. I will have to try it this weekend. Thanks for sharing!
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Tag..have to try this, I love my crockpot!
  • punka274
    punka274 Posts: 895
    Options
    oh that sounds delish!!! Thanks for sharing...im adding it to my recipe's!

Question...how much is a serving? Its says there are 6 servings in total...so like what, maybe a cup and a half?

TIA:flowerforyou:
  • GIBride01
    Options
    ok, update. Made this for dinner last night and flavor was good, but don't cook it the full 5-6 hours. The rice turned into mush..I would do maybe 2-3 hours, then check. I was pretty easy to put together, and tasted like a quick and easy jambalaya in a way. :flowerforyou:
  • Chiny
    Chiny Posts: 321
    Options
    ok, update. Made this for dinner last night and flavor was good, but don't cook it the full 5-6 hours. The rice turned into mush..I would do maybe 2-3 hours, then check. I was pretty easy to put together, and tasted like a quick and easy jambalaya in a way. :flowerforyou:

I'm going to try this recipe as well, if you recommend 2-3 hours on low, how long do you think it will take to cook on high?
  • GIBride01
    Options
    umm, not sure, my crock pot really has only a low setting. It is a 3 in 1 multicooker, and doesn't have traditional low/high setting. On high, maybe 1-2 hours? I'd check after an hour or so, but your onions might not be cooked all the way, maybe try 2 hours as a number to shoot for. Not so much help, sorry!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yummy - I need to try this.