Night shifts

Options
Any advice on eating on night shifts that are 12 hours long . My body clock is all over the place and it's really hard to eat .
I am managing to drink lots of water but that's it !

Help x

Replies

• melianne125
    melianne125 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would say to eat a meal every 4-5 hours that you are awake. Your "breakfast" may be at 2 in the afternoon instead of 6 in the morning - but it's still breakfast :)

Also - you will have to simply allow your body time to adjust to night shift. Sorry - but it is hard for a lot of people. Eating on a schedule will help.
  • Ideal76
    Options
    Hi Mel

Thanks for advice , I have done night shifts before so you are right it is a case of getting used to it . I start at 7pm finish at 7am then go to the stables and muck out . Then its home to bed, tend to sleep on and off 9 - 4pm . But then I am not remotely hungry when I wake up . Then before I know it I am back at work : ((

Thank you for reply
  • mkate19
    Options
    Hi! I work two 12 hour night shifts (7p-7a) a week and I've been searching to find a way to control my diet during those days. I try to drink alot of water and eat protein, but around 4 am the carbs are calling me. I, too, would love some suggestions :-)
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I worked nights (7p-7a) for 2 1/2 years and it was HARD to regulate my diet! The challenge for me was that I wasn't awake/sleeping the same hours 7 days a week because on my days off, I was up during the day with my family. Some days I was awake for 20 hrs straight! I finally came up with the rule of thumb that I would eat 80-100 calories for every hour I was awake. Try to eat meals every 4-5 hrs and light snacks in between. I, too, struggled with the 0200-0400 stretch. My body was screaming for energy from any source and since I hadn't slept, it wanted carbs! I'd have a little snack, but then take my 15 min break and briskly climb the four flights of stairs nearby a couple of times - I always felt more alert afterwards!

I've been back on days for just over a year now and it's so much easier. They wanted me to take the charge nurse position on nights recently and I politely responded with "Thanks, but HELL NO!" :-) It's hard, but your body will thank you for trying to keep healthy. Good luck!
  • smithstock
    Options
    I also work nights 11p to 7a. And could use some help setting a eating plan. I normally sleep from 8am till 2pm then nap from 730 til 930. ANy suggestions. Thanks
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    7pm to 6am, here. :)

It was hard at first. But now I just treat it like a normal day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. It just so happens that breakfast is at 4pm. Lunch is at 930pm. And dinner follows shortly after at midnight. Snacks whenever I need them.
  • hjy319
    hjy319 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I work night shift as well, but just 8 hours. I log my meals from wake to sleep, just a a day shifter would do. I know on other blogs many night shifters change their logs to times so 0000-0400, 0400-0800, ect and then eat small meals through out the day. You just have to find what works best for you and the most important thing is log it :) good luck!!