calf pain

Options
I find that I often get a nasty pain in my calf muscles, particularly when I'm running or doing aerobics...I do these a few times a week so I'm not sure if they are the cause or cure! I try and take it gently when I start to loosen them up a bit but I don't know what else it could be! Any thoughts?!

Replies

• soozh
    soozh Posts: 1
    Options
    I always get calf pain from really any type of exercise. Try stretching with a belt sitting on floor and pull your foot back with the belt. Also try cherry juice concentrate immediately following exercise. Seems to help me.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I would try to stretch more before doing anything physical. You should spend some time gently stretching prior to any exercise as this will warm up those muscles and help to avoid pain and injury. About 10 minutes should do the trick.
  • nsanati
    nsanati Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'd be sure you are not experiencing shin splints b/c they can be very painful & could get worse with exercise. I try my best to remember to stretch after I workout since my muscles are warm. If you do want to stretch b/f you workout, try warming up first & then stretch ... this may help your calves. You may also try some calf exercises so you strengthen them & then can stretch them out after ...
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'd be sure you are not experiencing shin splints b/c they can be very painful & could get worse with exercise. I try my best to remember to stretch after I workout since my muscles are warm. If you do want to stretch b/f you workout, try warming up first & then stretch ... this may help your calves. You may also try some calf exercises so you strengthen them & then can stretch them out after ...

Yep. Also, try eating a banana or some other potassium rich item about an hour before you run. I read about this in a running magazine. I have found it helps stave off cramping. It may or may not work for you but it can't hurt to try---unless you're allergic! LOL!
  • delta90017
    Options

Yep. Also, try eating a banana or some other potassium rich item about an hour before you run. I read about this in a running magazine. I have found it helps stave off cramping. It may or may not work for you but it can't hurt to try---unless you're allergic! LOL!

And water too to prevent cramping, if that's what your calf pain is. If not, then rest is the only answer until you are pain free. I just came off 10 days of rest. Did 30 minutes of running yesterday pain free, but it will recur.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    I've been having this same issue. Stretching has helped me a lot. I have to stretch those muscles multiple times a day just to stay on a treadmill longer than about 20 minutes.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Self myofasial release will help if it's muscle soreness
  • vicksters31
    vicksters31 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Oh wow thank you for being so helpful everyone! I now how loads of ideas for things to try! Thank you all!