Options

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Apples
  • missamielou
    Options
    I enjoy snacking on baby plum tomatoes and raw mushrooms. There are so few calories in them that I am sure you would be able to spare the calories for them. I think 10 toms is 18 cals and a cup of raw mushrooms about 15 cals :happy:
  • plagirl227
    Options
    Big salads... Raw fruits and vegetables tend to fill you up.

I soooooo wish this was the case with me, I have tried this theory out so many times and I always feel hungry within 30 minutes

:grumble:

Really?? Do you eat them with your regular meal? I don't just eat them alone. But for instance I eat a big salad with my lunch everyday. I tend to stay full until dinner.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories earlier in the day and more calories at night, essentially allowing yourself to eat late without going over.
    Works for me.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've found that I need some fat and protein to stay full longer. Fruit and veggies have fiber and fill me up for a bit, but those carbs burn off quick. Something like a string cheese, a boiled egg, or a tablespoon of peanut butter work much better for me even though they have a smaller volume. Each of those three options is less than 100 calories.

Also, being that you work and are a student, how do you have your activity level set? Even if you don't have time for much in the way of deliberate exercise, you're probably fairly active just living your daily life. Are you set to lightly active or higher? You might try bumping your setting up one notch for those few extra calories to allow for a small evening snack.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    In your original post you said you were hungry around 6-7 AM - the morning? ... cause the post indicates a PM issue...?

Either way...
    Here's my 2 cents - a person such as yourself may be feeling hungry because of stress - & or the let down of stress at the end of a crazy busy day...
    Your issue may not actually be food but rather emotions or energy level - For me if my energy level starts dropping I feel hungry... but I'm tired or stressed... food's not the answer. For me its praise songs with a good beat on my ipod - "NewsBoys " (:
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi - I really love to agree wit you but in no way is my excuse for not exercise an invalid one

I work full time up at at 5am andin the office at 7am til 430 travel to school for a 530 class and Im at the library til almost 10pm - I am a Nursing student and every second of reading, reviewing studying is paramount ...

I do what I can aroudn the office - go for a walk when I can - lunches Im almost always reviewing the lectures/videos that the professor has on line
  • swedishwillow
    Options
    Mary Sunshine - I like your theory - I may try that in the upcoming days - music to fill the void ;D BRILLIANT
  • swedishwillow
    Options
    Tree72
    I do what I can during the work day - when work permits ... other than that I don't have time for much - working full time the nights are paramount for studying and reading and reviewing
  • Quaters
    Quaters Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    That was great advice.
  • trlyblssd79
    trlyblssd79 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Drink some herbal teat (mint is good or green tea) and lots of water- it's free :) I find that if I drink 2 cups of water before every meal that helps me to eat less at my meal and that might work for you to save calories so you can eat a little more at the end of the day and not feel like you are starving. Good luck!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husks in water to add fibre and fill you up. One teaspoon in a glass of water, and it goes gloopy, drink that, then another glass after it. It has about 8 calories and fills you up completely. It doesn't stop the hunger, but it stops the empty feeling.
  • smiles4support
    Options
    a trainer @ the gym has taught me 80/20. 80% diet/20% exercise I know this works, I'm just sad I got away from it & the habits. I do the exercise with NO doubt, but it is what goes in my mouth that gets me.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Eat less calories earlier in the day and more calories at night, essentially allowing yourself to eat late without going over.

This is what I do, because I had the same problem! I was always hungry and consumed with thoughts of food at night. So, I eat a lighter breakfast and lunch now and this is working better for me. Also, any little bit of exercise you can fit in to earn more calories to eat will help so much. When I don't have the extra to eat, I try to keep my hands and mind busy and to go to bed early so I'm not thinking about food. Last night that was the case for me, I went with a lighter supper, bathed and dried my dogs and had hot tea not long before bed (hot beverages help curb my appetite). Zero calories! I tried Yogi Kava tea. It's sweet and spicy and the same time. I really enjoyed it and didn't add a thing to it!
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    In your original post you said you were hungry around 6-7 AM - the morning? ... cause the post indicates a PM issue...?

Either way...
    Here's my 2 cents - a person such as yourself may be feeling hungry because of stress - & or the let down of stress at the end of a crazy busy day...
    Your issue may not actually be food but rather emotions or energy level - For me if my energy level starts dropping I feel hungry... but I'm tired or stressed... food's not the answer. For me its praise songs with a good beat on my ipod - "NewsBoys " (:

Oh, yes! Music is good for what ails you!! I love praise music on my ipod for the gym!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Exercise

Oats
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Im having issues with eating all my calories for the day and STILL end up hungry around 6-7am
    It's literally driving me batty - I want to eat something but know I have to log it and that'll just mess up my calorie count for the day

I don't exercise (full time employee & full time night student)
    Drink at least 6-8 cups of water a day
    Stay away from processed food & refined sugar

Im looking for suggestions how to stay fuller longer, and maybe-finally stop the thoughts of and need/want for food at night

any help is appreciated!

If you are hungry at 6am then eat! Its your body telling you it needs nutrients!
    High protein 1g/LBM
    Fats .45-.60g/LBM
    Carbs!
    In that order!

For me I have found that a Late night meal helps regulate blood sugar/insulin and i'm good to go all night!
    Thats my 6th meal!

Another thing i've learned is to understand the difference between emotional hunger and my body's need for nutrients!
  • time2startliving
    Options
    Try a hearty vegetable soup..works for me..:)..veggies only
  • eeebee
    eeebee Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Big salads... Raw fruits and vegetables tend to fill you up.

I soooooo wish this was the case with me, I have tried this theory out so many times and I always feel hungry within 30 minutes

:grumble:

Really?? Do you eat them with your regular meal? I don't just eat them alone. But for instance I eat a big salad with my lunch everyday. I tend to stay full until dinner.

Oh right - I thought you meant on their own :laugh:

Yes incorporating at least half of your plate's worth of vegetables, cooked or raw, seems to work, it is a good way to make your food go further and keep you fuller.
  • margotgordon
    Options
    I soak 2 Tablespoons of Chia Seeds in a water bottle full of lemon juice and water and leave it in the fridge. If I'm still hungry at the end of the day I drink it. It bloats you up so you don't feel hungry at all. The chia seeds equal 60 calories or something and they are really nutritious.

Sometimes I soak the chia seeds in about 1/2 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk instead - it only has about 20 more calories than the water and tastes like tapioca pudding. (sweeten with stevia to taste).

Hope that helps.....