weight loss = vision changes? :noway:

Jakerbaker
Jakerbaker Posts: 6
edited October 1 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello!

I am wondering if any other people that use contacts or glasses have noticed any problems with their vision as they lose weight? Since May I have lost 25lbs. That doesn't seem like a very significant amount to cause issues?

In June I went in for a regular exam and the doctor kept me at the same prescription I was already using (i am SEVERLY near-sighted). In the last couple of weeks my vision has been becoming increasingly more blurry. I find it hard to even read this computer screen as I type this. I plan on going back into the eye doctor as soon as I can (my vehicle is currently broke down and the doctor is quite the walk away for me to bring my 7 year old daughter along) but, I thought I would just shoot out an inquiry to everyone to see how "normal" this is? I googled it and have seen claims of this issue occuring in people before, people who have lost over a 100lbs tho?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Hmmm... I would call the eye doctor on Monday if you can't get in to the office. That doesn't sound right to me, especially since it seems to be kind of sudden. It might be normal, but with your vision, you're better safe than sorry.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    I highly doubt it has anything to do with your weight loss. I hope you get everything figured out!
  • mhig011975
    mhig011975 Posts: 181
    If you are not eating enough calories (i.e. eating only 500 a day) your vision can be impaired.
  • I eat 1200 a day...sometimes I fall short but not by a lot (maybe 50 cals at best?).
    I have also read Vitamin A deficiency can cause vision issues...hmmmm
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I've not heard of anyone's vision changing from weight loss at all, let alone just 25 pounds (not that a 25 pound loss isn't significant!!). I'd definitely give your optometrist a call first thing Monday morning, even if you can't make an appointment yet, to discuss the situation with him.
  • oamber0
    oamber0 Posts: 53
    Could your eyes be changing shape/contacts not fitting correctly anymore?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    By the way, I should add, I wear glasses but used to wear contacts. I have an astigmatism. The contacts I wore were weighted to compensate for my misshapen eyeballs and I'd find that when my allergies were bad, the shape of my eyes would change enough that the contacts wouldn't stay in place. They'd spin and my vision would be correct only every few minutes. Not sure if something similar might be happening in your case.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Stranger things have happened but you never want to take a chance with your eyes. Call the doc!! :noway:
  • I thought at first the problem was related to the doctor constantly giving me different contacts as trial pairs to see if there were any new ones that I liked. Then I realized last night while I was wearing my glasses that I can barely read the descriptions of movies on Netflix anymore. I have had my glasses for over a year with no problems until recently...
  • I just came across the thread and I see it is months old..... Maybe you have your answers I would hope so anyway, weight loss can affect your eyesight, generally it is a blood sugar connection though if you by any chance are still dealing with this you may want to have your blood sugar checked, blood pressure can have some drastic effects
  • I have lost 70 lbs and my eyes have gotten worse. I think I need stronger glasses.
  • sereimund
    sereimund Posts: 1 Member
    I went to the eye doctor last week for the same thing and I was told changes in metabolism can effect your eye sight.
    So if you are losing weight your metabolism is probably changing.
  • SheridanLT
    SheridanLT Posts: 47 Member
    I went to the eye doctor last week for the same thing and I was told changes in metabolism can effect your eye sight.
    So if you are losing weight your metabolism is probably changing.

Thanks! You answered a question of mine as well!
This discussion has been closed.