Good Holiday traditions to start with kids?

Options
Iamfit4life
Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
As a kid we went out and looked at lights every Christmas Eve.

I'm trying to think of a bunch of things that are just a bit different to do every year!

What do you do?

Replies

• Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    feed the homeless or go to a nursing home...I dont do these things but if I did I think my kids might be more gratefull for the gift they get...
  • Pinkmaddycat
    Pinkmaddycat Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Midnight Mass.
    Homemade advent calendars
    giving a toy away to charity to make way for new ones
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    feed the homeless or go to a nursing home...I dont do these things but if I did I think my kids might be more gratefull for the gift they get...
    I think mine might still be a tad too young for this, but it's a fantastic idea. I'm always trying to teach the kids to appreciate what they have.
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Donate at least 2 toys to the needy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We go through all of their toys and clothes after Thanksgiving and mark some items for donation, throw some away, and clean up the rest. While we are doing this we talk about the kids whose families can't buy them nice toys or clothes.

We have a holiday baking day. This year I am looking for healthier items to bake/make.

We make a gingerbread house. Everyone helps.
  • erinclain
    Options
    The elf on the shelf!! My little ones love it.

Also, invite someone to Christmas dinner who may not have family or friends around, or the means to have a big Christmas dinner. This is something we always did when I was a kid.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I started the Elf on a Shelf this year (my son loves it) and we are also going through the toys he doesn't want or play with and we are donating them to a local Shelter that has kids and the Ronald McDonald house. I want to teach him to give back in life.
  • tryingeveryday
    tryingeveryday Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    We always read the story of Christmas from the Bible on Christmas eve we don't have children yet but my husband reads it anyway to remind us exactly what we are celebrating!

When I was little my parents would let us open one gift (it was always the smallest gift) on Christmas eve you could have them open Christmas pajamas that they could then wear to bed!!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    We just have a couple things we do...

My parents come over for dinner and family time, and we do a small gift exchange with them. Then we have a game that I set up earlier in the day for each of the older kids-we do our own version of deal or no deal with envelopes taped and numbered on the wall. Each one has a value ranging from .01 to 50.00. I take my cell phone and use it to call my husband (I'm the banker, as usual lol) to give them the deal. It's really fun. :-D During the small gift exchange, the kids have opened their jammies from us, so the game is usually done with the kids in their jammies and ready for bed. If time permits, we may play a game or two while sipping coffee and hot chocolate. Then my parents leave, we get the cookies ready for Santa, and the kids go to bed.

Leading up to Christmas, my children go shopping for Toys for Tots and choose a toy that they would really love to have, and they put it in the T4T box for a child who would otherwise have no Christmas at all. This year, we bumped that up and actually "adopted" the children for Christmas-buying for two specific children, we picked out Christmas jammies, some new clothes, and toys that were on their wish list. :) That was fun too!!

I absolutely love Christmas. I LOVE giving presents and seeing delight in the eyes of the receiver. It's my favorite time of year.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options

I think I am going to do that with my son this yr.
  • helma123
    helma123 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    We always "adopt" a child from the local foster home to buy christmas presents for. My kids really enjoy going & picking out all the stuff on their wish list.

We have also started running a Christmas themed 5k each year. We are running in the Reindeer Run this weekend & dressing up with reindeer antlers & we're doing the Jog'r Egg Nog'r 3 weeks from now. Egg nog at the finish line! Yum!:drinker:
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Have you done the glitter/oats mixture of "reindeer food". We spread a small amount in the back yard. It helps Santa find the house ;)http://www.youthonline.ca/christmas/crafts/reindeerfood.shtml I did it with my kids for the first time last year. Also, lots of my friends do the elf on a shelf that some others have mentioned.
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    We always decorate our tree as a familly, and each year my kids each make a new decoration for the tree. Then we watch a Christmas DVD with hot chocolate.

We do the christmas shoe box program through our church where we fill a shoe box with gifts and toiletries for kids who dont have much in life, i think it helps you to appreciate what you have. We also go to the christingle service on christmas eve at church, they are too small yet for midnight mass.

We also always make about half our gifts, i want my children to understand the value of the present is not as important as the care and thought put into it, that something handmade can be a much more thoughtful gift than soemthing that cost a lot.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    my parents always had santa 'forget' something by the fireplace. a button, a pipe, a handkerchief, a key, all sorts of things. we have quite a collection, and here i am at 34 years still wondering what santa is going to 'forget' this year, because even though my dad passed away, and even though i'm 34 and my sister is 25, my mom still believes in santa and so do we!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Definitely a few drives around to look at lights.

Every year we all get new PJs on christmas eve. I've also started having the kids write letters to santa and we mail them. Santa gets them and writes back a week or so later... pretty exciting!
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Last year I did the Portable North Pole video with the kids. Its a personalized video they can watch online of santa and the elves. You just input their first name, age, what kinds of things they like, etc. My kids LOVED watching it last year!

http://www.portablenorthpole.tv/home
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I think mine might still be a tad too young for this, but it's a fantastic idea. I'm always trying to teach the kids to appreciate what they have.

oh crap you got little ones Im sorry!!!! How about "the elf on the shelf"????

http://www.elfontheshelf.com/
  • Treighsie
    Options
    When I was little we would be so anxious for Christmas that my mom started having a party on Christmas Eve. It was just us, and we got a small present from my parents, and played fun games. We still do it, even though I have 4 kids of my own and my brother and sister have families too. We go to my mom's on Christmas Eve and have our party and do a gift exchange with eachother. It's great!
    We also light the advent candles.
    We look at Christmas lights around town.
    We are doing Elf on a Shelf this year, but it hasn't come yet.
    We do advent calendars and crafts.
    One year I wrapped 24 Christmas books and my daughter unwrapped one every day (they weren't new but they were holiday books so we hadn't read them in a while). It's time consuming to do that though!
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    we go through toys and clothes about a month before Christmas and take them to donate.
    We also always do some sort of angel tree deal. I pick one the same age as my 3 kids and they pick out a gift for them.
    The years we go back home to Indiana for Christmas, we always go to the shelter and feed the homeless. Its a tradition my family has always had since I was little.
    Im not catholic but my mom and I always go to a midnight candle light mass Christmas eve. Ive taken my oldest a couple of years now. Its just beautiful and its nice time to just slow down and be still during such a crazy time.

Elf on the shelf! I wish I had known about this one earlier but I just learned of it last year. I think my kids are a little too old to start it. It seems really fun though!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I spend a day volunteering to help "shop" for toys for tots.