Beating SAD

Options
I think I'm suffering from seasonal affective disorder. It was around this time a couple years ago that I fell into a deep depression and I've been on medication since. Now, I'm feeling pretty bad again. I just want to hide under the covers, watch TV and eat cheese. I don't want to up my meds, but I have to get out of this funk. Cheese is fattening!

Replies

• Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the special lights they have for this?
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the special lights they have for this?

My mother has one of these lights and it really helps her. Also, getting out in the sun and getting as much vitamins A and D can do wonders. Going for a walk also helps both mentally and physically. I understand, sometimes easier said than done, but you have support here!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    :frown: Up your meds. I'm a prozac girl & there are times when you just have to. Remember, upping is only temporary until you get through the funk. I'm super depressed right now too. Haven't worked out since Saturday. UGH! So I totally know how you feel. I'm actually headed back to bed right now.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I go to a tanning bed once a week during the winter just for this reason.
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options

I agree! Heliotherapy has always worked for me!
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel this way! I totally understand.
    Find a new hobby, get out of the house as much as you can. Don't isolate yourself. Find something that you enjoy doing.
    Maybe time to talk to the doctor?
    Good luck!
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as you, every time the weather changes.

I find it really helps me to go for a tan at the tanning salon- I try to force myself to go when I have really down days.

rain-to-help-my-crop.gif
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D3
  • RachelRunner78
    RachelRunner78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Please go see your doctor. Maybe your meds just need increased.
  • hschinzing
    Options
    Try Light therapy. Just add some old fashioned 100 Wat light bulbs to a room you spend time in and leave them on for an hour a day. With depression every little bit helps. Forcing yourself to exercise helps too. I know when the depression hits it is the last thing you want to hear but it really does help.
    Good luck!
  • tallteacher
    tallteacher Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I suffer from SAD as well. Things that help me are Vitamin D supplements (5000 to 10000 IUs a day!). I also have a light box that I've set up next to my treadmill - I get light therapy and exercise therapy at the same time (even 20 min at a slow pace helps!). I did take an extreme step, though. I used to live in the Pacific Northwest and was depressed from October to March. I finally moved to Colorado - 300 days of sunshine a year - and I take walks outside every day. I realize you may not be in a place to do that, but it helped me so much!! :) Good luck!

PS - there are many books out there that are helpful with lots of great tips! Definitely get one! Finally, don't just get bright lights. That might help a tiny bit, but it's not going to really relieve the depression. Type "Light Therapy Box" into Amazon and you'll find a lot of different models of light boxes starting at only $50. I got mine under the Christmas tree one year.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    There are some really interesting theories out there basically comparing SAD to the hibernation response in many mammals (which is basically a physically depressed state), so I try to treat it as such and this works for me. The idea I use is to keep my body believing that it's summer.

Get as much natural sun light as you can...in through your eyes and on the skin. Be greedy for it. Treat sunshine like oxygen.
    I have a natural light spectrum lamp in my cube and it seems to help.
    Workout hard, regularly (even if you have to force yourself to just take that first step!
    Combine moving the body with getting sun exposure when possible.
    Vitamin D3 can help keep the body thinking it's getting sun.

There is certainly other wondeful advice above. If all this still does not quite do it definitely see the Doc about adjusting meds...that is just what it takes sometimes. Good luck!
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I notice this in myself as well. I'm very tempted to try the lights but haven't yet.
    Making sure that you've got a bright room. Get those 'daylight' or 'natural spectrum' light bulbs.
    Switch your day to follow natural light and dark as much as possible (get up earlier and go to bed earlier if possible).
    Get outside any time the sun does show.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Fellow SAD sufferer so I recognize those feelings...I certainly understand the hesitation to med increases...maybe just need to switch to a different one- not necessarily more?? Excercising can help get those endorphins up (at least temporarily). Even on my med (I take the lowest dose possible) too many gloomy gray days in a row in the winter and I get my photo therapy light out. You can look for them on ebay or amazon...I got two under $100 each...regular bulbs don't work as well- need to be these special kind that mimic sunlight- also I hit a tanner a couple times a month- just for the heliotherapy. See a physician or your psychologist for help. In the end- whatever it takes beats living in the misery- hope you find some improvement- XXXX hugs!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me is just keeping this in mind: As of December 21/22, the days start getting longer and we get more sunshine back in our day - 3 min per day, if memory serves. I know that doesn't seem like much to go on, but for me it really helps. I look forward to the lengthening of the days, and if I remember to I try to do something to commemorate the solstice and celebrate the return of the sunshine. :smile:

From a more practical standpoint - I agree with others to check with your doctor. Your meds could probably stand a tweak.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'll post here so the rest can see, I already answered on your profile. :)

Here's what I do: 1. I make sure to get outside each day. Even in the winter (see my profile pic). 2. I make sure to stick to my gym schedule no matter how tough it is; 3. Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night; 4. don't sit home and feel sorry for myself (like I did last night...put on my PJs by 6pm and skipped the gym). I also have an office with lots of sunshine! It's an uphill battle but I have to tough it out each year. (yes, I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in 1994 so my doctors keep a close eye on me). If everything is in balance I stay well.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    :frown: Up your meds. I'm a prozac girl & there are times when you just have to. Remember, upping is only temporary until you get through the funk. I'm super depressed right now too. Haven't worked out since Saturday. UGH! So I totally know how you feel. I'm actually headed back to bed right now.

I disagree. I've been on the same dose of meds since 2002. My doctors keep a close eye on me and as long as I workout, eat well, and get 8 hours of sleep the meds do their job. It's like a pie...all the pieces have to line up.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I agree! Heliotherapy has always worked for me!

CANCER runs in my family so this is not an option. Plus, I'm nearly 35 and wrinkle free (spend lots of time outdoors). When you're 45 you are going to regret the hours spent tanning.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Do you know how the Scandinavians deal with SAD? (many regions have way less daylight than us in the lower 48)

-They snuggle under a blanket together
    -They practice hot and cold therapy (also great for your skin)--do a sauna and roll in the snow after
    -They do a lot of group hanging out (see above blanket)

This is all 100% true. I've spent a lot of time in Iceland.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I think I'm suffering from seasonal affective disorder. It was around this time a couple years ago that I fell into a deep depression and I've been on medication since. Now, I'm feeling pretty bad again. I just want to hide under the covers, watch TV and eat cheese. I don't want to up my meds, but I have to get out of this funk. Cheese is fattening!

I didn't read the responses, so forgive me if I'm repeating.

Vitamin D. Lots of it. I take 4000 IU in the winter, but check with your doctor first to make sure that's ok for you.

Eat more protein. It helps.

Drink more water. It helps too.

Lemon tea with honey and cinnamon is great for your body and your mood. Bigelow's I Love Lemon is my favorite.

Exercise! Even if you don't want to. Even if it's just 5 minutes of marching in place. It will help.

Turn on all the lights in the house. You need light. The sun lamps are the best option, but they're pricey, so if you can't get one, at least turn on your regular lights.

Get off the computer and into the real world! Do something that refreshes your spirit. If you like to read, read. If you like to play video games, play one. Do something that actively involves your mind and/or body rather than passively hanging out online or watching tv. Seriously. I know you *want* to veg, but that's not actually what you *need* or what will make you feel better. Depression tricks you into doing all the wrong things because it doesn't want to let you go. So whatever depression makes you feel like doing, do the opposite. I've been dealing with this for over 2 decades, so trust me on this one.

Are you in therapy in addition to the medication? For most people, medication only treats the symptoms and doesn't actually help you learn how to cope, so you will have a hard time breaking the cycle just with the meds. I would suggest getting into therapy if you aren't already.