ab workouts that won't put a strain on my tailbone

Options
last year I broke my tailbone and twisted my lower back when I fell through my bedroom ceiling. I have found that I have difficulty doing ab workouts, they put too much stress on my lower back and tailbone. the pressure on my tailbone at times causes my tailbone to tilt, which is very painful!!!

I have tried doing my ab workouts on an exercise ball and also using extra thick mats but they dont help. Is there a way to get a good ab and core workout without the stress on my tailbone and lower back?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Try Jefit it's a website with a lot of ab ideas...
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I like Hip Hop abs....all standing up...
  • Wendysworld13
    Wendysworld13 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Chalene Johnson - Turbo Jam, has a standing ab workout as well as all of her workouts being for abs. Incredible workout that targets your abs throughout! Good luck - broke my tailbone about 30 years ago - I so feel your pain!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    How does one fall through their bedroom ceiling? Just curious!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Do exercises that work your transverse abdominal muscles. They are the deepest layer of muscle that are responsible for holding in your organs. Tightening these muscles will increase your core strength and give your tummy a flatter appearance. Do a Google search for exercises (which are mainly aimed at postpartum women) or do some Pilates.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You probably need to work with a physical therapist to correct this, and any other issues.
  • porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Try some belly dance tapes. Very fun and works your abs while standing up. :smile:
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like Hip Hop abs....all standing up...

^This. There are lots of moves you can do standing up that will strengthen your core. You could also try planks. Using a cable machine (if you have gym access) is also great. You do the same crunch moves, but hold the cable over your head, or in front of you for obliques and twist side to side.

There are also a lot of pilates moves that are done lying flat on your back and you move your arms and legs and stabilize with your core. If done properly, these shouldn't irritate your tailbone or lower back.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    How does one fall through their bedroom ceiling? Just curious!

a window in my attic broke late in the evening and they were calling for rain, so I needed to get the open window covered with plastic until I could get the window repaned. My attic isn't finished and so I had to walk and work at covering the window while balancing on the floor jousts. Needless to say, I lost my balance, slipped off the joust and fell through my bedroom ceiling landing on my back ontop of a window a/c that was sitting on the floor of my bedroom waiting to be put in.

concerning the physical therapist, I worked with one for several months, they were the ones who suggested the exercise ball, they did a wonderful job helping me get past the injury, but the tailbone tilting is always going to be a factor from now on.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    could you work with a stability ball? Also focus on lots of planks etc. , not so much seated moves?
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    keep your core (abs) tight while doing all cardio workouts will help and there is a workout in the insanity program called in and out abs you start in plank postion (push up position) and bring your knees to chest and then back out while keeping core tight
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    last year I broke my tailbone and twisted my lower back when I fell through my bedroom ceiling. I have found that I have difficulty doing ab workouts, they put too much stress on my lower back and tailbone. the pressure on my tailbone at times causes my tailbone to tilt, which is very painful!!!

I have tried doing my ab workouts on an exercise ball and also using extra thick mats but they dont help. Is there a way to get a good ab and core workout without the stress on my tailbone and lower back?

What kind of workouts did your doctor tell you that you can do? I would suggest Tae Bo Insane Abs to you, but you have to do floor ab exercises to. So, I will suggest Core Rhythms and

These workouts are fun. You can find them on Amazon. If you decide to buy them, buy the sets.

Core Rhythms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpdZJADVE4o

Island Girl Dance Fitness Workout Hula Abs & Buns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8Hws0HtGc
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I will give them a try! My lower back has definitely gotten stronger with the help of a physical therapist but the tailbone tilting is always going to be an issue and I have to learn what sets it off and how to adjust accordingly and I have learned that traditional ab workouts and even stability balls put too much stress/pressure on the tailbone tip.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of good suggestions (planks, etc.) but I didn't see any of the following so I thought I'd add it. If you have access to a pull up bar, you can do exercise that will work your core:

Toes to bar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr-oWbC5VnA
    Now, I personally cannot do this yet - so I do a variation of "knees to chest." There are a lot of ways to scale it to your level.

L Hold on a pull up bar: http://www.exercise.com/exercise/l-hold-hanging-on-dip-bar
    (You don't need that exact machine of course, just something to hang on) Getting that hollow body shape is killer on your abs.

And remember... if you're going for a six pack, you also need to make sure you're working on your way of eating. You can build up all the ab strength you want, but unless you have a very low amount of fat covering it, you won't see them! (Sucks... I know. This is my goal!)
  • AArmstead1
    Options
    I have this problem too!! I never actually broke my tailbone... but very severely bruised on a snowboarding trip. Couldn't sit normally for three months... lol (i am sure you know how that goes) I would suggest some sort of "standing abs" routine. I think the CRUNCH dvd series has a few, so does Jazzercise. What about plank-type moves?? If you can do those, there are all sorts of variations you can do to hit all the major ab muscles. I try to incorporate these types of exercises in my workouts, because the traditional sit-ups don't work for me either!! good luck ;-)