Surgery??

Options
Just curious..how many of you have went through weight loss surgery to meet your goal?? Trust me I am not against it..and am in the process of getting the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I was just curious if any one is in the same boat.

Replies

• jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Several of the nurses that I work with had the lapband done last year and most of them lost initially, but now they seem to be back where they were before they had the procedure done. I'm talking about at least 8 and only 1 has maintained.
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had Lap band and lost 114 lbs and I would do it all over again and again. You might get some negativity from those who believe you should just "try hard" and "just exercise" and "just eat right" but i say you do what is right for you. Since having lap band I have learned to eat right and I exercise alot. Good luck on your journey.
  • meeka79
    Options
    I heard lap band has a lot of problems..my health care provider doesn't recommend it. Im sure results are different for everyone..The sleeve..they take 85% of your stomach. I know 3 people who have had it and kept the lbs off for 2 yrs plus..
  • meeka79
    Options
    You look great! Thx so much for the info
  • jimswife1
    jimswife1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has to do what they feel is right for them. I'm not opposed to surgery for weightloss, I would just never have an elective procedure. Make sure you do your research and ask your MD about the risk of dumping syndrome with your procedure, because that is what I have seen from those patients, it's miserable. Best of luck to you.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    People should do what they feel is right for them. As for myself personally, I don't want them re-routing my organs or messing with them at all. I am concerned what will that be like and what will that mean for my body when Im 60 or 75?...That's just my concern. If it is what you need to do to save your life, then that's what you need to do. Good luck with what ever you decide.
  • meex
    meex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My little Brother weighs 180KGS, not pounds, kg! The doctors practically begged my mum to let him have stomach banding sugery but she refused! He is still morbidly obese and so is her and her husband. The doctors wanted to do that when he was about 15 and weighing around 140kgs so it makes me wonder if he had have got it done if he would be a normal size now and not morbidly obese. Makes me mad, some people just really need the surgery to save their lives!
  • cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My sister had the verticle sleeve. She was 375, she now weighs between 205 and 210. She had gotten down to less but got married and started to put a little back on. And now shes pregnant :):) Don't let people tell you its the easy way out because it most definaly is not! You have to have it in your head also or the results won't last. My cousins wife also had it done, and she is VERY slim and looks amazing, but I don't have an inside look on how she takes care of her self. Best of Luck to you on your journey!!
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    My 106 pound weight loss came off the old fashioned way ... lifestyle change, no surgery. I wish you well on whatever decision you make.
  • ann945n
    ann945n Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am not against weight loss surgery, for some its the right choice. I would just say think once, twice, and a third time, really hard before you do it. Once they remove 80 percent of an organ its not coming back. Also get a second opinion about it. Doctors are human too and have bias opinion on things. Good luck to you in your choice, and what ever choice you make will be the right one for you!
  • aimeezingone
    aimeezingone Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had VSG Sept 6 2011..........so far so good. Lots of work. Surgery is NOT the easy way out.....but a tool. No regrets here ;)
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who had weight loss surgery, she looks amazing. Recently she also had a bodytuck to remove a lot of the excess skin.
  • uLinx
    uLinx Posts: 148
    Options
    I had VSG Sept 6 2011..........so far so good. Lots of work. Surgery is NOT the easy way out.....but a tool. No regrets here ;)

This is sooo right! My sister wants to have surgery done to help her losing weight. Well, BEFORE she may do that at this specialized center, she has to do one year of dieting in order to correct her eating habits. Surgery can surely be of help, when you have to lose lots of weight, but there is no instant way out of obesity. Change happens slowly.
  • MrsDJenkins021411
    Options
    I too am in the process of vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I am currently using MFP as a tool the same as I will use the surgery as a tool. MFP has truly helped me with being "accountable" for the choices that I was making previously. I do agree with some of the posts here that surgery is not a "quick fix"; however if you have health issues and are willing to make the commitment to a "lifestyle" change, then I say go for it. My mother had lap-band surgery almost 4 months ago and is down 45lbs. Good luck with your journey.
  • Cosmos40
    Options
    If I could afford the surgery, I would do it in a heartbeat! I have several friends and a coworker who have done gastric and had great resullts. Do what's best for you! Good luck!
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options

I had a VSG January 19, 2010. No regrets, No excess skin issues, No going back. Lost 127 pounds. Have kept it off for over a year. So love it.

And, it's not an "easy" way out, you have to change bad habits regardless of what method you choose and the decision is really a personal choice. Do your research, talk to people who have had the different surgeries available and then do what's right for you.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? Many doctors won't do it unless you are morbidly obese.

Keep in mind that whether you have surgery or not, you will HAVE to change your eating/exercising habits. Even if they leave you with only 15% on your stomach, you can eventually stretch it back out to full size if you don't eat right. My biggest opposition to WLS is that some people think it's a "quick fix" and that they can continue to eat whatever they want, and that's not true. I guess I wouldn't want to put myself through major surgery if I have to change my habits anyway; I can change my habits without having to subject myself to surgery! I'm still recovering from gallbladder surgery last week, and I can't imagine having a major procedure like WLS.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors, though. If you feel this is the right decision for you, that's your call and no one else's.
  • IrishFanVSG
    IrishFanVSG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Having surgery is a personal decsion for people. I tried to lose weight "the old fashion way" for 30 years but ended up having VSG at the age of 40. It's been the best decsion that I"ve ever made for myself. There were hoops to jump through but I did it and now I have lost 78 lbs in just about 4 months. In my old fashion days, I never had hope that the weight would stay off. I also like comments such as " I can change my habits without having to subject myself to surgery! " Sure if that is what you want to believe...good luck. If that was the case everyone would not smoke, be overweight, bite their nails, or have any addictions. Surgery is a tool. After surgery, I am donating my clothes instead of keeping them for when the day comes that I regain the weight plus the extra 20. Surgery requires change in one's habits because one is not able to physically eat the big 1000 calorie burger or the entire container of ice cream. You might want to eat 3 doughnuts but you can't eat them and then they are no longer a trigger food. I'm no longer a captive of what is on the table or in the cupboard to eat. Surgery is not an easy way out. It is work. Everyday I have to track protein, vitamins, and be more militant in what I eat. It is rewarding to lose the weight and it makes you want to go for a walk/run/workout. When you weigh 271 pounds, it is hard to do the right things. Good luck on your choice.
  • JacMarieSTL
    JacMarieSTL Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had the Lap Band almost 3 years ago. I started at 330, today I'm at 225.

For anyone that says surgery is the easy way.... they've never closely known anyone that's had it done. Surgery, all of them... while some call it drastic, I call it a last resort to save my life.

Initially, I lost the first 50-60 lbs relatively quickly... and honestly, with ease. Its after that, that my body decided that I needed to do more.

Now - I count my calories (obviously) and Im in the gym 4-5 days a week, running 12-15 miles a week in addition to full body strength training. Not only have I lost weight, I've become stronger.

My Band, like any other weight loss surgery option, is a TOOL and nothing more. I still have the head hunger, and I still have to opportunity to eat foods that I otherwise shouldnt. I still have to make the right decisions day in and day out, and be smart about the food Im shoving into my mouth.

To the OP... good luck to you!! I've heard wonderful things about VSG!
  • kathyellen
    kathyellen Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had VSG on March 15,2010. I have no regrets!

Even though I knew and heard it when I was told that it's only a tool, you will have to change your ways I don't think deep down I actually believed it. I thought my stomach is going to be so small how could I possibly gain back the weight? Well I have learned they are so right. I was 219 when I had my surgery, my lowest weight was 162 ( wow, 162! crazy I NEVER thought I would see that again)...then it slowly started creeping back on again. I had not been exercising and was not paying attention to my calories......next thing I know I am seeing 185!

I truly believed that I would not let myself do that again, but the surgery gave me the tool to loose the initial weight now I HAD to change. Even though you can only eat so much at one time...it still can be high in calories.

My sister-in-law told me what great success she was having here. I am finding that counting my calories and EXERCISING is the key. it is so surprising to see the calories add up......I am feeling better and hoping to get down to 160 and then STAY there.

I am determined to use this tool to it's best advantage. I am excited about this new beginning. No matter what you choose for yourself, best of luck to you and don't ever give up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!