MFP vs. HRM/BodyBugg/BodyFit burns.

Options
Ok, so I have begged Santa for a HRM for Christmas. In the mean time, I am curious for those of you who are already tech-ed up, how do your device calorie counts compare to the *estimates* that MFP gives? For now, I will have to use MFP...but I'd love to hear some examples. Particularly from women around my height (5-6) and weight (150-170)....

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You burn less than MFP tells you.
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    MFP is just an estimate. Trust your HRM/BodyBugg/BosyFit. Those are programmed for your height/weight.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I burn significantly less than what MFP gives me, and the calorie counts on the cardio machines at the gym are even more generous.
  • fitcounselor
    fitcounselor Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm in your range and I burn less than MFP. I use my BodyBugg. I'll shoot you a message, so you can give santa a link with the discount code, if you're interested in the Bodybugg! LOL :smile:
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I realize that there is a difference--I was just wondering if someone had any specific examples of the differences?
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    It depends on the activity and how much effort I put in. Sometimes MFP's estimate is higher, sometimes it is lower. I also have an HRM and BodyBugg. (I like comparative numbers. :smile:)
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    MFP is just an estimate. Trust your HRM/BodyBugg/BosyFit. Those are programmed for your height/weight.

MFP estimates are also based on your height/weight.

OP, I recently got a Polar FT4 so I went from using MFP estimates to using my Polar HRM estimates. My Polar estimates are 5-10% lower than what my MFP estimates were. So for a workout where MFP would have given me 300, I might get 280 on my HRM. I hope that helps :)
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options

MFP estimates are also based on your height/weight.

OP, I recently got a Polar FT4 so I went from using MFP estimates to using my Polar HRM estimates. My Polar estimates are 5-10% lower than what my MFP estimates were. So for a workout where MFP would have given me 300, I might get 280 on my HRM. I hope that helps :)

Thanks---stefaniee83 -- I actually asked for the Polar FT4, so I'm excited for the more accurate numbers---but I still don't konw why everyone hates on MFP's estimates all the time, they arent THAT bad.... I've lost 10 lbs (and gained 5 back due to my own fault) with MFP's estimates.