Pregnant and possibility of GD

Options
Just curious if anyone else here is pregnant with Gestational Diabetes? And how do you manage yours? I have PCOS and an increase risk of GD and I failed my 1hour and will take my 3 hour tomorrow ...just trying to prepare myself!

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My sister is currently pregnant and managing it. Seems like it mostly only takes a little bit of physical activity to counteract a carb heavy meal. After Thanksgiving she tested out at...I forget now. But after just a 10 minute walk around the block she tested 30 lower, which put her in the right range. She said that sometimes she just walks in place in her living room and that does it. But mostly she just watches the amount of carbs she eats with each meal and follows the doctors eating guidelines they have her.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    yup, GD for each of my pregnancies. you will have to follow a diabetic diet, and possibly have to monitor your blood sugar. It's just fine. and if you need a little motivation to stick to that diet, here it is. moms who are GD tend to have larger than average babies. the more out of control the sugars are, the more insulin your body has to produce. a by-product of insulin is a growth hormone. makes the babies bigger. I was good with my diet for let's say, 75- 80% of the time. all three of my boys were born (induced) two weeks early. they were all over 8 and a half pounds.
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    That's is what I had figured... Prior to pregnancy I followed a modified diabetic diet due to my PCOs I figured I would just need to go back to that and increase my activity again
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and had Gestational Diabetes with my son. He's 23 months now. Here's what the nutritionalist did to me. She put me on a diet that was 30 carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; 15 carbs for morning, afternoon, and bedtime snack. It helped a lot. My son is a great child. I took my sugars an hour after each meal and when I got up the morning. You can do this.
  • MsCandyLynn
    Options
    yup, GD for each of my pregnancies. you will have to follow a diabetic diet, and possibly have to monitor your blood sugar. It's just fine. and if you need a little motivation to stick to that diet, here it is. moms who are GD tend to have larger than average babies. the more out of control the sugars are, the more insulin your body has to produce. a by-product of insulin is a growth hormone. makes the babies bigger. I was good with my diet for let's say, 75- 80% of the time. all three of my boys were born (induced) two weeks early. they were all over 8 and a half pounds.

My first pregnancy I passed my GTT and had a 40w1d baby at 8-14 so big babies already in the blood..lol I'll have a scheduled csection with this baby due to previous csection but glad to know its manageable
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    Been there done that. I took it pretty hard but I got over it and did what I had to do for the baby. Mine wasn't extremely high so I could control it by diet alone but I have known people that have had to give themselves shots while pregnant. I had to check my sugar 3 or 4 times a day, 2 hours after eating (yes your fingers get pretty sore). I can't tell you that it was easy. It was time consuming and difficult but at the same time I actually ate a lot I just had to eat very low carb and I only gained about 3lbs during my pregnancy. Luckily it doesn't last long and as soon as you have your baby you can go right back to eating normally. It'll be ok. It's not so bad. Good luck!
  • Bigmomma0u812
    Options
    I have to add one more thing after reading the posts. My daughter was due on July 28th but they took her by c section July 17th because they said she was huge. 10 lbs easy. I was scared to death. I had ultrasounds every single week and they just couldn't get over how big she was. She popped out 7 lbs. 3oz. The first thing my doctor said was she's little! We couldn't believe it. So not all GD babies are big, and not all ultrasounds are correct. It was funny though.
  • rachaelgarcia
    Options
    Don't worry too much. I failed my one hour too. The guy at quest told me most women fail their one hour and most pass their three hour. If you don't pass your three hour your OB will give you super easy guidelines to follow depending upon your blood results. The way you would proceed would differ depending upon if you were severe or mild. Either way I had several friends that had GD and it is super manageable and all have perfect babies and got through the rest of their pregnancy's' no prob:) Congrats!!!!!
  • saritag79
    Options
    I think you're going to be fine. Physical activity is the number one key, water helps keep you hydrated and will also help with glucose, plenty of rest so baby will grow plus you'll need it as well, and a well balanced meal. It may be hard at first but keep in mind its not only for you but the baby as well. Both of your well being is super important!!!! Congrats on your pregnancy. Hope all goes well and best health to you and baby!!!:wink: