Timex Ironman HRM.. accurate??

Options
Hi all

I have the Timex Ironman HRM and it just seems like it's calculating way too many calories.
Anyone else have this experience? Is there a way to adjust? Just bite the bullet and buy a polar or something?

TIA

Replies

• JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen and heard Timex tends to over estimate calorie burns, not sure what is different in the calculation they use vs. say Polar or Garmin.
  • nbgarza
    Options
    I really do not know given that I don't own a Timex, but would love to hear from other ppl which one they recommend. I want to purchase one but not exactly sure which one.

Which one do you recommend????
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    I have the same hrm, I was wondering about the cal burns myself. Another problem I seem to have is that sometimes it takes several minutes before I start getting a reading on my watch. Usually I have to start doing a light jog or something before the thing starts working. Anyone else have that problem?
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have the Timex t5g971, it was my first HRM. It calculates the calories burned way high. I got a Polar Ft7 for my birthday and I now burn half the calories. The Polar uses your age, weight and sex to calculate the calories burned. I feel the Polar is more accurate.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Ironman HRM and found it to be a little high on the calorie burn. First make sure that you have the weight and height setting accurate in the HRM. Remember to adjust as you lose weight as well. Also, the HRM tells your your total calories burned for the time period. To know what extra calories you are burning, you must subtract your BMR. For most people it is 1-2 calories/minute.

I have also used a BodyBugg for a period of time and would compare what my HRM would say for a calorie burn vs. the BodyBugg. THe HRM was higher. BUT if you are logging your calories into MFP, the HRM doesn't account for the "after burn". From the BodyBugg, you can see that you do continue to burn calories after the exercise is over.

I actually found MFP to be accurate on the calorie burn for the exercise it had listed.