Is your scale inconsistent, or is mine on crack?

Options
So I stepped on the scale this morning (before i ate, after I pee'd) and had gone up to 186.6. i was so disapointed I crawled back into bed for about 10 minutes, but then in my frustration decided to weigh myself again..... i was now 185.8.....

I think I need a new scale

Replies

• Terri_39
    Terri_39 Posts: 122
    Options
    LMAO!!! I have the same thing happen to me ALL the time!!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    my scale will tell me the same thing to the .x almost every single day. About drives me up a wall because I figure how is it possible I can be the exact same every single day. I thought it should fluctuate a little bit.
  • skierxjes
    skierxjes Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Try a new battery, first. Then a new scale. Mine will change after a few hours of crawling back in bed, but not after 10 mins.
  • shellyc7182
    shellyc7182 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    A crack? HAHA, mine must be on a fault line! Mine does the same thing! I'll move it around to different parts of the bathroom, I don't know what else to do except buy a new one!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I hate digital scales. I used to have to step on mine twice. The second time showed my real weight and it was down by 5 pounds. Its working now though the first time but I don't really trust it anymore.
  • cashnhaydensmama
    cashnhaydensmama Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    you must have the same scale as me! LOL
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Maybe you burned it off walking back to bed and then back to the scale?
  • sarajmitch79
    Options
    I have a consistant urg to throw mine against the wall because it does a great parrot impression and just keeps repeating itself
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I had a different digital scale than I do now, and depending how I stood on it I could get different readings. When I purchased my new scale I put marks on it where I put my big toes so I know I am stepping on it in the same place everytime and I keep it in the same place on my tile floor in the kitchen. This way there is less chance of me leaning or swaying to get the reading I want. :laugh:

I also if I don't believe what I am reading (usually this happens when I have a good loss...lol) I will get off and back on three different times to make sure.

Also I find if you don't weigh with your husband around where he can put his foot on your scale without you knowing that helps too!! He got me last week and scared the crap out of me. LOL My daughter is weigh my in coach and keeps track in this journal we bought she couldn't stop laughing. After I calmed down I found it quite humorous too!!!
  • alliefairy
    alliefairy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I looked at the FAQ's on the website for my digitial scale, and it's only accurate to within 2 lbs. The website was pretty specific that if you step on the scale, step off, wait a few min, and step back on, if the numbers are within 2 lbs of each other, the scale is doing what it's designed to do.

So, I've limited myself to stepping on once and just using that number (even if it's not the number I want to see!)
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Scales have always done that to me. I step off and back on ten times and can get ten different readings!! Brand new scales, new batteries, whole shibang. I usualy try to keep weighing until I get a number consistenly a few times and then I go with that. It's frustrating to me though....
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    This is normal. Body weight is fluctuating constantly through the day. Get up, pee, hop on scale naked - go with that number and don't worry about it again. (All it is is a number - it doesn't tell you anything about what you are losing - fat, muscle, or water).

I've ballooned up before almost 10lbs in under 2 weeks just from water retention (grains and sugars cause the body to retain water and sodium - and grains create systemic inflammation through out the body) due to sugar/grain binges - (I'm sure a bit of it was fat but I don't mind a little extra in the winter time - and as long as it doesn't show up on my belly - which it won't as long as I stay away from grains/sugars). But once I stop and get back on my no grain, high-fat Primal lifestyle wagon the weight will disappear in the same time frame.
  • 8BaughDad
    8BaughDad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bought the Biggest Loser model at Academy Sports, about $29. It is much more consistent, with no changes or flucuations every 5 mins.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have a consistant urg to throw mine against the wall because it does a great parrot impression and just keeps repeating itself

Funny, mine too.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Mine produces some bizarro readings if I don't place it on the floor correctly. I was re-reading the reviews for it on Amazon and they weren't so great. I've had it 3-4 years and I think it may be time to get a new one.
  • MarcRipley
    MarcRipley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yep, digital scales have been less than consistant. I think temperature and humidity affect the worthless things. I too have seen fluctuations of several pounds in a few minutes.

8357149.png
  • luvbwfc
    luvbwfc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I find posture can affect the reading, maybe you were leaning forwards/backwards a little for one of the reads?
  • sammycool1986
    sammycool1986 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I am not the only one. I went on mine today and it said I gone down from 176.6 to 174.4. I then went on again to double check and said i was 178.0! AHH I felt terrible then thinking I was putting on when I was working really hard.