Fish oil?

I'm curious if anyone takes fish oil and if it's a good thing to take? Will it help me in any way or should I not even bother with it?

Replies

• rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    I take it but it's for my eyes, nothing to do with weight loss. It does have a tendency to make me burp nasty fish flavored burps though (my doctor warned me that was a very common side effect).
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    My boyfriend has just started taking fish oil. It helps lower stress levels. He takes 2g a day. Apparently after 4-5 weeks stress levels can be lowered up to 25%
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    It is good for your joints too.....that is why I take it!
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    If stress is lowered, weight should go down. I took the GNC fish oil pack, thinks in calls heart healthy these days.. was trying it to lower cholestoral but I think i just make to much. On a statin now... so now here on MFP to drop about 35 lbs and see what that does to my levels.. might go back to oil then.. or hopefully lower does of statin.
  • Fish oil is really beneficial for you! I take it as well as both my kids who are 11 & 7. I give it to my son for his ADHD and it really does help. I've heard it helps promote better moods (I need that!) and eyes. I have heard it does help in weight loss as well. Something about burning fat??? Can't remember exactly what it was but I'm sure Google could tell you!

I take Vita-Logic Fish oil. It has no fish burp / after taste at all. Neither one of my kids have ever complained about the taste either.
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    I take fish oil for the omega 3's -good fats. It's a good way to round out your diet. If you are interested in a good one, my mom turned me on to this stuff called Barlean's. I take a couple tablespoons every morning (of the lemon flavor) and it actually tastes really good - not fishy at all, and it does not cause the fishy burps like another poster mentioned (the capsule supplements will do this). You can also mix it into juice, smoothies, or yogurt. They have a flax version for Omega 6's too. You can find it in almost any supplement or health food store, but here is the link:

http://www.barleans.com/omega_swirl.asp

Really good stuff!
  • Promotes Optimal Fat Metabolism

According to the National Institutes of Health, omega-3s trigger “I’m
    full” signals to the brain and help quash hunger signals. Research has
    also shown that fish oil improves the efficacy of exercise in reducing
    weight. Volunteers who were given fish oil diet showed greater weight
    loss as compared to those who did not consume fish oil diet. Exercise
    combined with fish oil had a positive effect on the body shape and
    body composition of the patients.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    Yup mine is Sundown Naturals Fish Oil "With natural omega-3" 1000 mg. Think I'll start taking them again :) Thanks for the advice.