Heart Rate Monitor Cal Counter Watch

Options
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a heart rate monitor watch that does calorie counting too. So far looking at the Polar F series - any other suggestions?

Replies

• kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I asked Santa for the Poalr FT4 -- that'd be my vote!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am looking to purchase a heart rate monitor watch that does calorie counting too. So far looking at the Polar F series - any other suggestions?
    I have the polare ft7 for women (comes in gold and black, only difference is that it's a little smaller I think) and I love it! I bought it at Target so I didn't have to wait for it to ship!
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the FT7. I like it a lot.
  • Shawn_Marie
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and absolutely love it!
  • MelissaGarvey
    Options
    I and my two best friends have Polar FT7s. One of the friends is a professional athlete and she says it's the best she has used. We all LOVE them. I highly recommend.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    FT7 here. It's wonderful!
  • dtownfb
    dtownfb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Polar is an great brand. The only negatives is price and you have to return the watch to Polar to change the batteries. (I believe the batteries will last a couple of years). I have Timex that I purchased on E-bay about 2 years ago. It cost $55 which included shipping. It's has worked very well. they do have women watches. Both Polar and Timex have great reputations with regard to heart rate monitors, although the Polar is more stylish.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4 - one of the best investments I've made since joining MFP. There are others that get great reviews, too. Just make sure whatever you choose has the chest strap and allows you to program in your height/weight/age/sex. And I hear you can get the best deals on Amazon. I paid like $90+ at Target for mine but people have found the same one on Amazon for less than $70.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT7 and you can replace the batteries yourself.
  • annswill
    Options
    I'm looking at the Polar FT4F Heart Rate Monitor Watch
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Polar+FT4F+Heart+Rate+Monitor+Watch+&tbm=shop&aq=f

It has good reviews. The only downside I heard about Polar is that you have to send it in to get the battery replaced... Polar FT4 owners, is that true?
  • cathyAprice
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4 -- got it on Amazon for $66. I had the Timex Unisex but after about 6 months, it started giving inaccurate readings (during my Turbo Fire workout, it would show my heart rate was 30, etc) and after researching online when this messed up, I learned that it over-calculates calories burned...big time! Polar is known for its accuracy so that's why I went with it.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have polar FT4...love it....haven't had the need to replace the battery yet, but I think similar to FT7, you can replace the batteries yourself. Bought it on Amazon for 60 dollars including shipping.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping for the polar ft4 for Christmas. It has a user changeable battery....and comes in pink. :) Oh, and the reviews on it look great.
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Love my ft4!

And as far as I can tell, I could easily change the batteries (one in watch and one in transmitter) myself...it even has the little slot where you twist the back so it comes off.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Tony Little Heart Rate Monitor watch from QVC and I am wishing I returned it while I had the chance. The version I bought does not count calories although the display suggests that some model of a similar version probably does. The heart rate part works beautifully but the pedimeter feature only works if you swing your arms and it turns itself off. After using it all summer I don't feel like it's very reliable. Now it's just a pretty pink watch to me. :flowerforyou:
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Polar is an great brand. The only negatives is price and you have to return the watch to Polar to change the batteries. (I believe the batteries will last a couple of years). I have Timex that I purchased on E-bay about 2 years ago. It cost $55 which included shipping. It's has worked very well. they do have women watches. Both Polar and Timex have great reputations with regard to heart rate monitors, although the Polar is more stylish.

My Polar FT40 user manual recommends having an authorized service center change the batteries during the warranty period but gives instructions on how to change them yourself.
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT7 black/silver and pleased so far. My previous was the strapless Bow Flex model like the one used on p90x.

The heart rate bpm readings where consistent with my previous monitor and gym machines. However, I thought there was something wrong with the calorie counter feature.

The calorie counter was displaying high readings for my workouts. My 25 minute 5.5 mph run on a treadmill gave me a read of 410 cals burned on the FT7. The treadmill says it was at 203 and the online calorie calculators said I should be around 200-250 based on my BMI.

I called Polar tech support (Hold time was about 5 minutes, outsourced call center) The rep said that it is normal to get a higher readings because the machines/online calculators where based on an average. The polar heart rate monitors are obviously personalized with the transmitter connected to your chest. The rep went on to mention that once I get stronger and more fit, my calorie reading will display a more "average" reading.

Now I feel that I'm logging my exercises more accurately, but I'm still going to compare my readings with other sources. Hope this helps.
  • alangholz
    Options
    I'm researching as well. What is the difference in the FT4 and FT7? Why would you choose one over another? Thanks!!!:wink:
  • pereztech930
    pereztech930 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at the Polar FT4F Heart Rate Monitor Watch
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Polar+FT4F+Heart+Rate+Monitor+Watch+&tbm=shop&aq=f

It has good reviews. The only downside I heard about Polar is that you have to send it in to get the battery replaced... Polar FT4 owners, is that true?

I think you can change it on the FT4...the website is confusing.

the support page shows this:
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/support/product_support?product=22999&category=FAQs&documenttitle= Battery+Replacement+in+the+Polar+Wrist+Unit&document=/gip/PEUS1kb-public.nsf/web_cat/85256F470048B0BC852573CC006CC0C2?openDocument

but is selling replacement batteries for the FT4.
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/accessories/battery_set_for_FT7_and_FT4