Help, Havent Lost A Single Pound

Options

Replies

• Play_outside
    Play_outside Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I REALLY want to stress, please keep seeing your doctor, a new doctor, ANY DOCTOR until you get a dietician referral. If the doctor says a dietician refuses to see you because they don't see "fat people" then take it to their governing body, that is discrimination! I think the reality is that your doctor is just a judging prick, and if that is the case then please get a new one!

I am in nursing and so am involved in the healthcare system. I do not know a SINGLE dietician who would refuse to see someone who is overweight because it is a waste of their time and the person is not likely to stick to it. Everyone knows that making changes is hard, and you're probably not going to change the way you eat overnight, but a dietician will help teach you ways in which to make the changes successfully. And you know what, maybe you will once in a while fall back to your old unhealthy ways, but if you are making a commitment to yourself and your daughter, you will get back on, and you will be armed with the TOOLS that will help you get there.

If your doctor keeps refusing to give you a referral I would a) file a complaint with your provinces college of physicians and surgeons b) see another doctor c) contact the dietician's office in your area, if you have a hospital then it will likely be out of your hospital-just call the hospital and ask to be transferred to nutrition services, and when you speak to the admin there tell her or him that you really want to see a dietician as you have been making some changes to eat better but you still need help but your doctor told you that was not feasible so you are looking into it on your own. Go from there. Take control of your own health!
  • jamesmacvoy
    jamesmacvoy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Measure yourself! Maybe youre gaining a lot of muscle.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    TriggerStorm1309 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    im in Nb and they dont do that anymore with the diatitions, they only referr people with health conditions such as diabetes and so on, they stopped sending "fat people" a couple of years ago
  • KellyAnneH
    KellyAnneH Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You say you want clear suggestions, so here you are, in no special order. Pick one or two, practice them for a few weeks, then choose another, k?

Breakfast - every day. Try for 3 food groups, like whole grains, dairy, fruit. (yogurt/fruit/granola, toast/eggs/fruit, cereal/milk/fruit)
    Switch to whole grains. They fill you up and carry way more nutrients than white anything.
    Cut out fried foods - fries, KFC etc.
    Cut dessert servings by 1/2, then in half again. Then cut servings to 2-3 a week.
    Limit meals/snacks out. Aim toward no more than 2x a week. It's WAY easier to eat healthy at home.
    Don't drink calories. (other than low fat plain milk)
    Aim for 1-3 fruit/veg servings per meal. A serving is usually about 1/2 a cup. Potatoes are a starch serving - not a veg serving.
    Look for some frozen meals with no more than 350 calories, and at least 15 grams of protein. They don't replace cooking fresh food, but they're super helpful as a backup as you're learning to eat healthier.
    Cut out empty food (chips, fries, ice caps) make your food earn its way onto your plate. (sugar free skinny latte is just hot milk - my personal indulgence)

Read labels. Prepare to be shocked. A crappy truth is that in most cases packaged food isn't really food at all, but rather seductively packaged fat, salt, sugar and chemicals. It sucks, but you may as well know so you can make good choices for yourself and your daughter.
  • Play_outside
    Options
    I also forgot to say, now that you have taken your measurements, check them once a week. When you are eating more healthfully you will probably notice a difference. I have lost 12lbs, which to me doesn't feel like a lot since the total I need to lose is about 86lbs, but I have lost about 10" and you can see a difference.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    I REALLY want to stress, please keep seeing your doctor, a new doctor, ANY DOCTOR until you get a dietician referral. If the doctor says a dietician refuses to see you because they don't see "fat people" then take it to their governing body, that is discrimination! I think the reality is that your doctor is just a judging prick, and if that is the case then please get a new one!

I am in nursing and so am involved in the healthcare system. I do not know a SINGLE dietician who would refuse to see someone who is overweight because it is a waste of their time and the person is not likely to stick to it. Everyone knows that making changes is hard, and you're probably not going to change the way you eat overnight, but a dietician will help teach you ways in which to make the changes successfully. And you know what, maybe you will once in a while fall back to your old unhealthy ways, but if you are making a commitment to yourself and your daughter, you will get back on, and you will be armed with the TOOLS that will help you get there.

If your doctor keeps refusing to give you a referral I would a) file a complaint with your provinces college of physicians and surgeons b) see another doctor c) contact the dietician's office in your area, if you have a hospital then it will likely be out of your hospital-just call the hospital and ask to be transferred to nutrition services, and when you speak to the admin there tell her or him that you really want to see a dietician as you have been making some changes to eat better but you still need help but your doctor told you that was not feasible so you are looking into it on your own. Go from there. Take control of your own health!

im in Nb and they dont do that anymore with the diatitions, they only referr people with health conditions such as diabetes and so on, they stopped sending "fat people" a couple of years ago
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I

Maybe try skipping the doctor them and call dieticians directly.

See this link http://www.yellowpages.ca/business/NB/00426400.html and find one near you. I couldn't find your town in the list but you may recognize some larger towns near you.

Good luck!
  • Play_outside
    Options
    That is extremely discriminatory and unethical. I just emailed someone at the College of Dietitians in New Brunswick. I will contact you when I get a reply.
  • TriggerStorm1309
    Options
    That is extremely discriminatory and unethical. I just emailed someone at the College of Dietitians in New Brunswick. I will contact you when I get a reply.

i see my fam dr in the beginning of the month and i am going to tell him that i am very serious about this and that i am busting my butt trying, and try to get him to bend the rules a bit and see if he will send me! i need to do this, just all of the food and calories sodium stuff is soooooooo confusing !!!!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options

i see my fam dr in the beginning of the month and i am going to tell him that i am very serious about this and that i am busting my butt trying, and try to get him to bend the rules a bit and see if he will send me! i need to do this, just all of the food and calories sodium stuff is soooooooo confusing !!!!

If you are really confused, try looking at some people's diaries. Maybe find people who eat "clean" and follow some of what they eat. It is really helpful to look at diaries and get ideas.
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i agree- I think your goals are too high (calorie wise) you should eat more like 1800-2000 calories for a day (regardless of exercise) and see how that goes

Also- I've played those dance games- I commend you for trying your best to get some activity in, but the caloric estimates are WAY too high. Those games have pauses, or only use your arms ect there is a difference between that and a "real" dancer, like ballet or something. The caloric burns you have estimated are for more strenuous dancing than most people could ever do.

And last bit- good job logging. but just a warning (I fell into this trap when i first started counting calories) CARRY AROUND MEASURING CUPS. at least until you get a good sense of portion size (since most of logging is estimation.
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    First, I want to say that I sympathize because I've been having a really hard time losing weight. I've only lost five pounds since July despite exercising and eating well.

But I've taken a look at your food diary and... really, I mean no offense by this, but you're not eating well at all. I know it can be difficult to cook meals from scratch, but you really need to stop relying on processed food so much! You can't say you're eating your calories properly when you have two cups of ice cream, two tubs of Pringles and multiple sodas in a single day. There are days that you're going multiple times over your recommended allowance of sodium and that's horrible for your blood pressure and is also probably causing you to retain water.

There is a lot of room for improvement for you. I wish you all the best making healthy, positive changes!
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Also- I've played those dance games- I commend you for trying your best to get some activity in, but the caloric estimates are WAY too high. Those games have pauses, or only use your arms ect there is a difference between that and a "real" dancer, like ballet or something. The caloric burns you have estimated are for more strenuous dancing than most people could ever do.

This.

I've stopped using my Wii for exercise until I get a heart rate monitor because I found I was not losing weight if I logged in MFP's calorie count for these exercises. Considering I dropped weight right after I stopped, I'm pretty sure I was overeating.

I would personally stop exercising and get my eating under control first. You don't have a way to accurately count exercise calories at this point in time so I'd stop the 4+ hours of daily exercise and drop it down to daily walks around the block or something light but not excessive. Let your body recover from the stress you've been putting it through.

I eat out alot too. You can still eat out and lose weight. You really have to watch your portions though and try to make healthier choices, i.e. apple slices instead of fries, a single cheeseburger instead of a double cheeseburger, chicken over hamburger.
    Figure out how to make low calorie ice cappuccinos at home - you have at least one nearly every day so this would be a great investment into getting your caloric intake lower.
    Switch from sugar to Truvia or another natural(ish) no calorie sweetner.
    Stop drinking caloric soda - diet or flavored sparkling water only (you can get low or no cal ones that taste good).
    Pick either butter or peanut butter for your english muffins, not both as it is either 30 or 60 unnecessary calories. I'd personally pick the peanut butter as it is better for you.
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Switching from real sugar to a sugar substitute like Splenda would be a good idea.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    is getting so frustrated, in the 26 days that i have been doing this i have been exercising 2 + hours daily plus drinking tuns of water and eating my calories properly and i haven't lost a single pound! I know weight loss is slow but really?!?! Should i try not eating my exercise calories? I started 26 days ago and haven't lost anything.

In terms of dietary stuff, one thing I saw going back for a few days in your diary is that you don't eat a lot of fresh vegetables or fruit. For people trying to lose weight (like me) veggies and fruits are great for a couple of reasons: They have plenty of fiber, they have lots of micronutrients, and they're not calorie-dense. What I mean is that a cup of broccoli has much fewer calories than a cup of, for example, white rice.

Why not start your lunch or dinner with a nice green salad? Most days, my lunch consists of a salad with LOTS of fresh greens, carrots and tomatoes, a low-fat salad dressing, and a diced chicken breast on top. I toss in a small handful of chow mein noodles for a bit of crunch. I can throw it together in just a couple of minutes, it tastes great, and it keeps me full, thanks to the protein in the chicken. If I'm hungry or planning a hard workout, I'll make it with two chicken breasts.

Just a thought. Sometimes, just a couple of small changes can get things going the right direction. For me, it was cutting out salty, crunchy snacks with lunch. I just wasn't considering that the pile of corn chips I had next to my sandwich had as many or more calories than the sandwich itself.
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    It took me 2 months before the scale would even move, very frustrating! But keep going & it will happen!!
  • All4Tris
    All4Tris Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to lower your sugar intake and carbs. That's probably why the scale hasn't been moving for you. Try eating whole foods, minimize processed, cut out the fast food and if you have to soda, try a diet soda. I adopted the philosophy of not drinking my calories/sugar and if I do, it's low in sugar and calories.

Another posted suggested the Belly Fat Cure although extreme, it definitely follows a philosophy that works for my body.

ETA: You may want to do a little research on what you're eating as well. For example, when I'm not sure how certain food will affect my dietary goals, I enter them on MFP and if they are too high in calories, carbs, sugar or sodium... I might not eat that food. Losing weight is a learning process. You have to do a little research. Try following Michi's ladder in terms of selecting what to eat: http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/michis-ladder.

Even with all I know about what I'm supposed to eat, I slip up from time to time. I used to be anti McCafe (loaded with calories and sugar) but the Peppermint Hot Chocolate came along and I became addicted after trying it once... I gained 5 lbs super quick. I replaced the peppermint hot chocolate with peppermint hot tea... not quite the same but, 0 calories and 0 sugar compared to the gazillion in peppermint hot chocolate works for me!!! That 5 lbs is already gone! The key is finding healthy alternatives to the things you like.

Good luck on your journey and remember, research, research, research!!!!
  • AmythistRae
    Options
    Time hortons is a definate problem.. Unfortunately, also angel your diary shows that you are eating worse than a thin person...KFC Tim Hortons...I know it is frustrating because I have been there...Try green smoothies to get rid of cravings.....and fruits and veggies....lots of fruits and veggies...if it comes from a box it will turn to fat...if it is fast food and not lettuce will create fat...it is just an easier way to look at it....good luck hon..
  • Speedtrap
    Options

Over Weight is a health concern.
    You need a new doctor, I am in Canada as well, and I can tell you when I first brought up the subject with my doctor he was glad and has done everything he can to support me.

To give you a few examples of what they should be doing for you.
    - He referred me to a Nutritionist
    - Gave me a list of local weight loss classes to attend (Free of charge)
    - Set up regular visits with his nurse to monitor progress
    - he helped me to create a plan that works for me.
    - Offered a referral to a psychologist to help determine my eating triggers and how to cope with them.

In Canada there is no reason your doctor should not be willing to support you in the same way.
    Ask for these from them, or find a new doc.
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    You may find this article from Canadian Living usefull "Are you thinking about seeing a dietitian?By Robin Heron" If the link does not work just google Canadian Living.

http://www.canadianliving.com/health/health_and_wellness_club/are_you_thinking_about_seeing_a_dietitian_2.php