Does anyone view eating as a means of socialization?

Options
I work different hours than the average person. I waitress at night so alot of the times I'm alone during the day. I'll find myself trying to find something to do and sick of my own company.

I'll find myself going to the mall to walk around and end up in the food court for lunch. I'll grab my book, order some food (sometimes healthy sometimes not) and settle in for a bit.

I just found myself thinking "lets do some Christmas shopping and then go grab some lunch while I'm out."

No no no. I can't do this anymore. I have fridge full of food but sometimes I just want to go out to eat to be around other people.

Anyone else do this or feel the same way?

Replies

• LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I do!
    Every time we all want to go hang out it is always at a restaurant.
    Or when I go out with my family and we hit the mall or the movies or what not and it is always "lets stop and get lunch - or dinner"
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    All the time. I almost did it last night but I grabbed a handful of almonds and everything turned out ok. It held me over until I got home. Or I will bring my lunch with me so I will have soem snacks. IT will help me not eat as much.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Im the same way but it's more of wanting to go out and try new things/foods.
  • ljholmann
    Options
    Most of my socialization with my friends surrounds dinner somewhere. One of my friends is pregnant, and the other two are thin. Sometimes I feel as though I am doomed! Willpower only goes so far. I can walk away from the krispy kreme donuts in the office breakroom, but I have a hard time saying no to dinner out with my friends. During the spring, summer and early fall, it isn't too big of a deal because we can always walk around their neighborhood after dinner; it just seems that we are more active then and I don't feel as guily about eating out. This time of year is hard for me because almost everything is done in doors. I guess I could say that I have the cold weather blues... Anyone else?
  • sracaxaj
    Options
    Why not suggest a known fast food joint where you know exactly how many calories?For example, I know a veggie burger at Harvey's with the toppings I like is 340 calories. Personally, I feel like isolating yourself just so you can eat the perfect types of food all the time will lead to burn out and make you not want to do this anymore.
  • webfootcajun
    Options
    Its the culture in the deep south. Everything has food involved. everywhere you go they try to feed you, and when people come to you, its common courtesy to do the same. Not a snack either, a meal. it makes it tough, but if you let people know, politely, its usually not a problem. Try to get them to do a healthy type food instead of the alternative.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    There are food choices everywhere that are reasonable. Surely one meal out a day doesn't have to derail you. Just choose carefully. You can't stay at home all the time.
  • ljholmann
    Options
    Webfootcajun,
    You are exactly right, in the south people assume that they are being rude by not feeding you. My mother is always trying to cook or bake something for me, and believe me it is hard to resist since she makes everything from "scratch". I think that it is a way of saying I love you in the South.
    On another note: I noticed your user name, what part of Louisana are you from? I have friends in Lafayette, and Arnaudville. Did have friends that lived in Metairie before Katrina. I love Cajun food. I spent a while in Louisana and ate way to well!!!
  • gregs887
    Options
    There are food choices everywhere that are reasonable. Surely one meal out a day doesn't have to derail you. Just choose carefully. You can't stay at home all the time.

As long as you are recording it and exercising to offset it I don't see the problem with eating out once in a while (maybe not every day though haha). Just remember, everything in moderation.