Honest Question - the "Cheat Hour"

Options
Ok, so I have always *thought* that if you have one big cheat meal (say 1000 calories +, all eaten within an hour or two), there is no way your body can process all those calories at once and some of them will simply pass through. Can someone with medical facts either confirm or deny this?

Replies

• LuneBleu85
    Options
    Hahah I wish this was true! My guess is that your body still eventually processes all the calories...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Doesn't exist, pretty much everything gets digested sans some calories in nuts, corn maybe.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    just...lol...just lol... that my dear is called a myth. a fantasy and or all of the above.
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    That doesn't really make sense.. 1,000 isn't really that much.. the digestive tract is really long and efficient.. why do you think that?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Might want to read up on how the digestive system works.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Oh, what a great concept. But :noway:
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    a moment on the lips, a lifetime on he hips. Your body does not process calories 'by the hour' - fat cannot tell time
  • TheMrsC2016
    TheMrsC2016 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My trainer has always told me that if I stay within my caloric limit for 6 days out of the week, the 7th day I can go over my caloric limit by 1000 total for that day. But a cheat meal every day that puts you over your caloric limit would be detrimental to your weight loss. 3500 calories equal 1 pound. If you overeat by 500 calories 7 days a week, conceptually, you will gain 1 pound.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    seriously?
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I'm not so sure. I know the body can only assimilate around 40g of protein or so in one sitting, so this may not be as silly as it sounds. Then again, I have no idea if there is a limit to how much fat or carbs it can take on in one go.

There was also some research a few years ago (cited in Clarence Bass' "Ripped" book) that showed that the body burned slightly more calories during aerobic exercise if done the morning following a blow out than it did doing the exact same exercise if you ate normally the night before. Unrelated, but might be nice to know if you're in the habit of "cheat hours"!
  • harold_IV
    harold_IV Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Its just your trainers way to help you not get burned out. What your saying may be true. Alot of people going months and months on a diet will sometimes just break done and quit, this is just a way to ensure you stay motivated, etc. I've heard alot of people talk about this concept. Usually I've heard of a cheat meal, not cheating for the whole day though.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    No unfortunately it couldn't be true. As part of the digestive process and food being broken down by our gastric juices and travelling the 6 feet through our intestines all nutrients are absorbed and that means ALL calories. There are no calories that "escape" this process. But, if you are eating within your calories for most of the week and have 1 bad day it has been shown to actually increase the rate of your metabolism for the next 24 hours so when you go back to eating well the next day your metabolism is working faster. So a blowout day here and there keeps your body guessing, it's what people who are zig zagging their calories are doing x