Juice fast or diet?

Options
Hey, I was just thinking about this and was wondering, are juice fasts or diets ok? I was thinking about possibly doing a juice diet, maybe just one day a week, one of those lazy days where all I do is homework and sit on my bum in front of my laptop. Is that ok to do? And if so, what kind of Juice? Not one with a ton of calories i would assume!

Replies

• wiesk1
    wiesk1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey, I was just thinking about this and was wondering, are juice fasts or diets ok? I was thinking about possibly doing a juice diet, maybe just one day a week, one of those lazy days where all I do is homework and sit on my bum in front of my laptop. Is that ok to do? And if so, what kind of Juice? Not one with a ton of calories i would assume!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    This is somewhat (understatement) of a hot-button issue around here.

The basic consensus is, it's not a good idea.

If you search the forums under "fast", you'll get a lot of information.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Please think twice. Please do what vivikay said and look up the fast posts. Your body needs food. Juice is not food. You will lose weight at first. You will also gain it right back. Do it properly. Exercise and eat healthy.
    Please becareful.:flowerforyou:
  • rhondababy
    rhondababy Posts: 119
    Options
    One of the problems with a juice fast is no protein! You'd be better off doing a "mini" day- eat healthily, and balance your nutrition, but cut your calories down.
    Liquid fasts are tempting because you drop a lot of water weight quickly, but it's not good for your health, or your metabolism in the long run.

Good luck!:smile:
  • wiesk1
    wiesk1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks, i'll consider the "mini" days and other options :)
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    The new fad these days is "cleansing" and this is usually focused around liquids with cayenne and lemon and is supposed to "purge" the body of all impurities. The problem is that there's no basis in fact that it does anything useful. As a case in point the colon cleanse routine is no different than the pre-op treatment for a colonoscopy. It just flushes the intestines clear and if you're lucky you might see a 10 lb drop in weight the reality of it all is that once you start eating again it all goes right back to the normal digestive routine.

Finally, the long term effects of these types of "treatments" is that it tears down good muscle base because the body needs those proteins to continue the rest of the body functions like heart, brain, breathing etc. It will make you weak and possibly cause irreparable damage to your body if you get carried away with the routine.

Please just stick to the normal weight loss routine of daily eating and exercising. Listen to the others and be careful! Bob
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Juice Fast for weight loss?

Why torture yourself for something that is no good for you because it really gives you none of the essential vitamins and proteins etc. to be healthy?

Diets are for people who want to be fat.

The moment you are off "the diet" you will regain thus begins a good cycle of yo-yo dieting for the rest of your life.

Why not try a sensible, well balanced eating plan with some good weight bearing exercise?...that way when you get to your ideal weight you will be able to sustain it rather than regaining it.