Soy products

Options
Just curious to see if people have switched to soy products appose to dairy. I love soy milk, and soy ice cream, and choose it over dairy anytime. Also wanted to know if there is such thing as having too much soy. Thanks!

Replies

• Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Any amount of soy is too much for me. I will not eat the stuff.

http://www.foodrenegade.com/dangers-of-soy/
  • crickettm
    Options
    good question....can't wait to see the answers!!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Too much soy can mess with your estrogen. As in everything, moderation is the key.
  • luckybunny84
    Options
    I have to be careful about soy do to the fact that I produce too much estrogen naturally and soy contains suedoestrogens that make my body think I have even more and cause health problems. I do have friends that soy is a main staple in their diet, and have no problems at all. I think it really just depends on your own body.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Too much soy can mess with your estrogen. As in everything, moderation is the key.

Ditto. Totally a set up for most women. Those who's estrogen levels have dropped, soy can be beneficial in moderation.

I suggest almond milk as a much better idea and health choice.

On a side note, as a healthcare provider - my theory is that anything that promotes and over abundance of estrogen in a female body is prone to cancers, most specifically breast cancer. My doctor friends have also concurred with that theory.

I say, when in doubt - keep it out.

Best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    "Train Like You Mean It"
  • JerseyGirlHeart
    JerseyGirlHeart Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i also drink rice milk as well, but people who are vegan/vegetarian or cutting a lot of meat of of their diet, all the meat replacements are made of soy or soy base, so it is a lot of soy in the diet
  • gg24
    gg24 Posts: 58
    Options
    If you have thyroid problems stay away from it also. Coconut milk beverage is dairy and soy free.

Moderation is always the key. :)
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

Ditto. Totally a set up for most women. Those who's estrogen levels have dropped, soy can be beneficial in moderation.

I suggest almond milk as a much better idea and health choice.

On a side note, as a healthcare provider - my theory is that anything that promotes and over abundance of estrogen in a female body is prone to cancers, most specifically breast cancer. My doctor friends have also concurred with that theory.

I say, when in doubt - keep it out.

Best,
    Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    "Train Like You Mean It"

Yet the breast cancer rates in Japan are quite low compaired to most western countries, and they eat much more soy based foods than we do?
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between how soy is grown and prepared in Asia vs. the US.

Hell, most of the soy in our country is genetically modified, sprayed with a crapload of pesticides that have been known to cause all sorts of health problems, and then turned into something else and stuffed into just about everything we eat. Of course we eat a ton of it.

Most of the soy in the Asian diet comes from tofu and edamame.

In response to whether or not there is such a thing as “too much soy”, my answer is that it depends. The articles listed in this thread are terrible sources. And as someone who works in cancer research, the research on the link between soy and hormone-dependent breast cancer is mixed. Doctors use it as a precautionary approach (telling women to stop eating soy) because they simply don’t know. There is more evidence out there that supports the idea that the hormones in dairy products put women at risk for hormone-dependent breast and ovarian cancers.

My suggestion is to make sure your soy milk is organic (even better if non-GMO certified – I prefer Silk), and have it “in moderation”. If you want an alternative or to mix it up a bit, almond milk is also good. But, check the ingredients. Many almond milks also still contain soy-based ingredients (soy lecithin, usually).
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options

Hell, most of the soy in our country is genetically modified, sprayed with a crapload of pesticides that have been known to cause all sorts of health problems, and then turned into something else and stuffed into just about everything we eat. Of course we eat a ton of it.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess we are lucky in the UK 'cause most of our soy products are usually organic & GMC free.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense to me. I guess we are lucky in the UK 'cause most of our soy products are usually organic & GMC free.

Yes, most of Europe and Canada are far better at regulating GMOs than we are here in the U.S. They are much better at informing consumers as well.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soy (except edamame - yum!) because I'm a breast cancer survivor. Even though my cancer wasn't hormone sensitive, I'm still not taking the chance...
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options

In response to whether or not there is such a thing as “too much soy”, my answer is that it depends. The articles listed in this thread are terrible sources. And as someone who works in cancer research, the research on the link between soy and hormone-dependent breast cancer is mixed. Doctors use it as a precautionary approach (telling women to stop eating soy) because they simply don’t know. There is more evidence out there that supports the idea that the hormones in dairy products put women at risk for hormone-dependent breast and ovarian cancers.

My suggestion is to make sure your soy milk is organic (even better if non-GMO certified – I prefer Silk), and have it “in moderation”. If you want an alternative or to mix it up a bit, almond milk is also good. But, check the ingredients. Many almond milks also still contain soy-based ingredients (soy lecithin, usually).

Very informative, thank you!