gluten free and lactose intolerant

Options
Is there anyone out there with similar hurdles - please add me, I need some help!

Replies

• MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    great question.

I just came across an Enzymedica product that helps with the digestion process on this issue. It has helped me so much and I have only taken it for a week.

I found it in Whole Foods but you can get it on line I think. I am using Digest Gold from them.

Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPS Figure Competitor
    "Train Like You Mean It"
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I really do. Deciding recently to cut way back if not right out temporarily my wheat, but being a bread-lover I looked at some gluten free "options" which weren't options when you realize you get a tiny little loaf for $8 or 4x the price of a store-bought loaf of regular ol whole wheat bread. I opt to do the same thing with lactose intolerance... instead of replacing the offending substance with a much more expensive alternative (at the time the replacement milk was Lactaid at $4 for a 1L carton while that was what I could get 4L of regular milk for) I just did without. Cereal with water is just fine once you're used to it :)
  • suavequeen
    suavequeen Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you... still working on finding what works but together I'm sure we can!
  • monainmn
    monainmn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi, my daughter and I are both gluten intolerant, she is also allergic to cows milk protein. She has been eating gluten/dairy free for about 10 years, me about 2 months. I am so grateful to mfp for a lot of the gluten/dairy free foods are listed in the food section. She is thriving and we have each lost about 36 pounds since August 2011. If you have any questions or need a friend, feel free to add me.
  • 5stoff
    5stoff Posts: 15
    Options
    thankyou everyone, glad to know I am not alone
    :happy:
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My daughter and husband have celiac and as a result my daughter never drank dairy products so she is GFCF. We all eat mostly natural unprocessed foods.
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I really do. Deciding recently to cut way back if not right out temporarily my wheat, but being a bread-lover I looked at some gluten free "options" which weren't options when you realize you get a tiny little loaf for $8 or 4x the price of a store-bought loaf of regular ol whole wheat bread. I opt to do the same thing with lactose intolerance... instead of replacing the offending substance with a much more expensive alternative (at the time the replacement milk was Lactaid at $4 for a 1L carton while that was what I could get 4L of regular milk for) I just did without. Cereal with water is just fine once you're used to it :)

Try dropping the processed carbs all together. Do not replace them with something else that's processsed. If you do need a bread we like Udi's. It is the only brand that can make it to lunch in my daughter's bag without crumbling.
  • 5stoff
    Options
    thats the way I am thinking I will have to go, I have been trying out lots of different ranges of food and not liking very many! I think my whole way of eating must change but its seems very daunting - I have 5 children and a husband who works weird hours, cooking seperately is a bit to much at the moment.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    On a big plus I can say that if you have a chip craving... Rice works brown and white rice crisps make a very decent doritos replacement, had some at a recent party and had to ask what they were... gluten free vegan and celiac friendly product...
    it's also about twice the price for a bag but if I portion it out when it comes through the door and it keeps me from buying the real thing then I don't mind for the junky stuff.

As for the rest yes I'll do without rather than paying the "healthy" prices for most things. For myself once I added yogurt to my diet my symptoms of lactose intolerance faded and I now enjoy whole milk... only get problems when it's been a while since I've eaten yogurt.
  • jojo3937
    jojo3937 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm allergic to wheat/dairy. It was a big challenge at first..but over the years have gotten used to it.

I know great substitutions for things. Feel free to ask anytime or add me as a friend.

Cheers.
  • 5stoff
    Options
    thanks everyone