Work out Courteousy? Help!

Options
Okay MFP I am hoping to get everyone's opinion to help me not piss off my new downstairs neighbors.

So I just moved into my new apartment and I am now on the upper level. My neighbors are really quiet (thankfully). This new apartment complex does not have a gym so I have to work out at home because a gym membership is not in my budget.

What times during the day are appropriate to work out? A lot of the work out videos i have include some form of jumping or moves that will cause some noise for my downstairs neighbors.

Also if you guys have any videos that are effective but will not cause a lot of noise for my downstairs neighbors, I would really appreciate the recommendation.

Replies

• raisingbabyk
    raisingbabyk Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean and i'm not sure I have an answer. I always got complaints whenever I tried to do it in my previous apartments. We now live in a patio home where it's all one level, but the buildings are attatched in twos kind of like a duplex. I just started Level 3 of the 30 day shred and the neighbours just now decided that they can hear some thumping... Makes me angry because it's only 20 minutes a day can they not just suck it up! Haha, its really not even that noisy. :noway:
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You know what I would do?

Go downstairs and knock on their door. Explain the situation to them "I can't afford a gym, so I workout at home. When is a good time for me to do it that won't bother you?"

And let them tell you. If I were your downstairs neighbor, I would tell you to workout anytime after 3pm and before 3am. lol. But, I am a night owl who works second shift. I would be ticked if someone above me was doing jumping jack workouts at 8am while I'm trying to sleep. On the other hand, people who work 1st shift would probably prefer you do it earlier.

So. Ask them. :) They'll appreciate the courtesy.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Probably dinner time, to early evening. If you really want to know, just go knock on their door and ask.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    You know what I would do?

Go downstairs and knock on their door. Explain the situation to them "I can't afford a gym, so I workout at home. When is a good time for me to do it that won't bother you?"

And let them tell you. If I were your downstairs neighbor, I would tell you to workout anytime after 3pm and before 3am. lol. But, I am a night owl who works second shift. I would be ticked if someone above me was doing jumping jack workouts at 8am while I'm trying to sleep. On the other hand, people who work 1st shift would probably prefer you do it earlier.

This is what I did. :)
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    I would say you could talk to your neighbors about it if it's a problem (after they bring it up) but until then, i would say between the hours of 9am-8pm is reasonable. If they have a problem with it, tell them that you are sorry......you are doing what you have to do to get in shape work with them and their hours if you can to be considerate, but overall.....you do what you have to do in YOUR OWN apartment. if they don't like apartment living, they are more than welcome to LEAVE
  • kathleen2001
    Options
    Yes I would ask them!
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you are trying to be respectful, and I think your neighbors will too. Just ask! Unless they have a napping baby or are sleeping themselves, I can't imagine that they would care. Living in an apartment means that you should generally be accustomed to and expect some noise.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I would introduce yourself to your neighbors and ask! :)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam.

Ask your neighbors when is best for you to work out according to their schedules when you introduce yourself.
  • tcklmetoo
    tcklmetoo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT suggestion!!
  • FatUncleRob
    Options

I agree. That's what I'd do. :smile:
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd talk to them also..... You'll also here some vids talk about being light on your feet and cushioning your landing. So I'd try to learn how to do this. It also will make the workout much more difficult. But I will warn you, this is hard to do, especially once you start to get fatigued. So, in anycase it's best to talk to them:)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I would say you could talk to your neighbors about it if it's a problem (after they bring it up) but until then, i would say between the hours of 9am-8pm is reasonable. If they have a problem with it, tell them that you are sorry......you are doing what you have to do to get in shape work with them and their hours if you can to be considerate, but overall.....you do what you have to do in YOUR OWN apartment. if they don't like apartment licing, they are more than welcome to LEAVE

Everyone's lifestyle is a little different when living in a situation where there are many people close together? There HAS to be respect for other people. It is easy to say "Don't like it? Leave!" but really? In this economy, is that logical? Probably not. If they're living in an apartment, there is probably a reason why and leaving probably isn't an option for them.

I've lived in a lot of apartments in my time and I just feel that it is easier to be respectful than to do your own thing and "if they don't like it - LEAVE!". Life is much calmer and easier if you try and get along with them. And if they are quiet? Then I wouldn't want to ruffle their feathers. Assuming that everyone lives a lifestyle where they are awake at 9am isn't fair, in my opinion. As I said, I work second shift.. I don't want to hear someone jumping around at 9am. Would someone who works early like to hear ME jumping around at 2am because they is a good time for me? I highly doubt it. And would they like it if I said "Well, don't like it? LEAVE?"

Doubt it.

Respect. It is critical when living in this kind of a situation. Honestly? The best thing is to ASK THEM.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It's very kind or you to think of your neighbors. I'm in the same situation. That's why I joined a gym. That way I can work out to my heart's content and I don't have to worry about pissing anyone off. lol But if you aren't able to join a gym right now, I would just go ask your neighbor. I'm sure they would really appreciate this. Also, when/if they do hear you working out up there, they will be more tolerant of it because you asked and they ok'd the time. Good luck! :)
  • mrsskinny629
    mrsskinny629 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with TurboJam. You don't do a lot of jumping in those..just loud music if you have it pumped up!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    like people have previously said.. just ask them :)
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with Chevy88grl-- just go ask them. And while you are at it, ask them if they would like to join you. The more the merrier!
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean and i'm not sure I have an answer. I always got complaints whenever I tried to do it in my previous apartments. We now live in a patio home where it's all one level, but the buildings are attatched in twos kind of like a duplex. I just started Level 3 of the 30 day shred and the neighbours just now decided that they can hear some thumping... Makes me angry because it's only 20 minutes a day can they not just suck it up! Haha, its really not even that noisy. :noway:

Oh wow! yea I agree! I have 30 day shred and if they are not bellow you I cannot imagine why they would have a problem with it.
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Ask then for sure and you might end up with a workout partner too!
    =o)