How to figure out calories??

Options
Does anyone know a site to go to that lets you put in either your own recipe/ingredients and then figures out the nutrition facts for you? I'd like to be as accurate as I can when I log my homemade foods instead of just "getting the closest" food that's in the database already. Thanks!

Replies

• wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    you can do that on here using the recipe tab within foods
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    You can do it here! Go to the food tab and then recipes - enter them in yourself and voila! I have probably 100 entered into mine already!
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can do it on here :) just go to the food tab, click on recipes, and *kitten* away. You can say how many servings the recipe is and it will break it up by each serving for you
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    click food > on the second blue bar look for recipes...
    enter all the ingredients for your homemade meal and tell it how many servings... then you have a per portion nutrition tracked.
  • aurie024
    aurie024 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can do it on here :) just go to the food tab, click on recipes, and *kitten* away. You can say how many servings the recipe is and it will break it up by each serving for you
  • IsleOfThanet
    Options
    Just figure out the nutrition per ingredient, total then divide by the number of servings.

You only have to figure the calorie count one time per recipe then make a note in your cookbook or as a footnote on your recipe. I pencil in the calorie count beside the ingredient list then write the calories per serving near the recipe name.

You will find some cookbooks (ie The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook, from the early 1980s ) have a calorie chart in the back. Other sources are the back of a package (flour, sugar, rice etc.). The USDA Nutrient Database on-line is reliable source for calorie and nutrition information ... just google USDA Nutient Database.

Even for the most complicated recipe this only takes a few minutes one time per recipe.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    My problem with "cook book" recipes and serving sizes when they do offer a calorie count... for myself their servings never add up... be it a dish of lasagna that they say makes 24 servings...yeah 24 what 1" squares" I get closer to 12 in order to feel like I'm eating :) Same with brownies or cookies, when they say it makes 18 squares they've got to be 1/2" cubes... not even a noticeable bite.

So I enter my recipes here and tell it how many servings EYE get (I doesn't show up well for emphasis) like my pretzel recipe 2400 calories total of all ingredients... makes 12 pretzels or 200 calories each. And it's in my recipes to be entered with full nutritional info every time I eat it instead of just quick adding calories only.
  • copswife4148
    Options
    Huh! Learn something new everyday! I never knew you could do that here! Thanks everyone!