First Time Marathon Training - Any others?

Options
Hello All

I recently graduated university and took up a desk job. In university i was stupid active and have since been stuck behind a desk for 7 months, needless to say i have put on some weight and lost alot of sthletic ability. In order to combat these effects me and a friend have decided to run a marathon, I am currentlly in week 3 of a 20 week program and have just started to track my nutrition. Prior to taking up running i was in the gym regularly but not in th cardio area.

As i am new to the marathon world i am looking for some support/advice on training and nutrition. I have also started to developp some odd legg pain in the upper calf and back of the leg (right behind the knee), wondering if anyone knows what thats about.

I started out at 204 lbs 3-4 weeks ago and i am currently sitting at a fluctutaing 193, looking to get down to around 175.

Replies

• Jconner30
    Options
    I completed my first FULL MARATHON on November 13th (San Antonio, Rock and Roll Marathon). You need any advice or help along the way, let me know :)
  • CourtyMonster
    Options
    I've run several Half's and am also training for my first Full end of February. The knee pain could easily be associated with too much running too fast. It's hard to go from zero running to running for a marathon. That's a lot of volume. The joints are just not made to combat that kind of pounding, which is why new runners usually deal with knee pain. Most of the time, the only answer is so scale back your mileage.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half in 10 days and then will begin training for my first full marathon at the NOLA Rock & Roll in March.
  • E11eLu
    E11eLu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm also planning to run my first marathon in October next year. Although Im doing a mix of cardio and strength training for the first 3 months as I have a bit of weight to lose before I get into intensive marathon training.
    Your pain may be from your shoes or your running style. You can get your foot and your running style analysed and have a pair of running shoes recommended for you that suit your foot and gait.
  • skyguy747
    skyguy747 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi jt,

The Chicago Marathon in October was my first full, I started training in January, worked my way up to a half by the end of May.

My only advice on the calf/knee pain would be to really stretch it well before your runs, and build up distance slowly. Oh and don't be afraid to give up on a run if you're encountering pain - everyone has bad runs.

Happy to help from a from a running newbie perspective if you have any questions.
  • jtblack1414
    Options
    Hey guys

Thought i would check back in!

Took 2.5 weeks off to let me knee heel up and its touch and go. On sunday i ran a 26 minute 5 km and today i did a 63 minute 10km. I have a half marathon in February, death race in august and i should be well on my way the ING. I was also looking to see how often and how far you guys are running in your preperation?
  • aquapussy
    Options
    I am not sure I want to go that step with my jogging. I thought about it but I kinda jog for fun and I think I want to train for cycling more. A marathon just seems like torture. I guess for a once in a life time accomplishment it would be a good thing to do. I am more aiming for doing an imperial century on my bike.
    I did manage an under 60 min 10k outdoors though, on flats.