MY LIFTING WORKOUTS DON'T GIVE ME EXTRA CALS?!?

I am new to the site, but for some reason non of my lifting workouts count towards my calorie counting. I start off with a mile jog to warm up, followed by a rigorous wight lifting program, and always finish with an intense ab workout. Yet, the only thing that counts on the site is my 10 min (1-1.5 mile run) to warm up. Whats with that?!

Replies

• kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Put it in the cardio section as weight lifting.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    for some reason strength training doesnt automatically give you extra cals. Best thing is to add it manually.
  • Add strength training to the workout. MFP does not move the weight lifting up from the bottom of the exercise. You have to add the strength training. I have found that the calorie count is low, but it does add something in there.
  • I always wear a monitor and add it in as my cardio burn no matter what I do. I do that because nearly everything raises your heart rate accordingly and why not get credit for the calories that way?
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Don't forget that strength training continues to burn calories even after you stop working out!:wink:
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    I think this is such a flaw here. There is literally no reason to ever add anything to the strength section that I can see. I wear a heart rate monitor during my strength training (which tells me how many calories I've burned) and manually enter that into the cardio section. This definitely needs improvement on the site.
  • My trainer guesstimated that we burn approx. 200 cal. in the 30 minutes we work out. We do weights, resistence and some plyometrics.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Just out of curiosity, what does your HRM say you burn? I enter it in my diaries at strength training... I generally get about 180 cals/hour (I weigh 160 and am 5'11"). I've always wondered if this is right...
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    I would suggest finding out how many cals you burned and add it manually to the cardio section.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Today I did a half workout because of time, so I did weights for only 30 min and burned 288 cals. I have a high heart rate and seem to burn more than many others, though. I'm 5'8" and weight 155. I REALLY suggest getting an HR monitor. Before I got mine I wasn't eating nearly enough calories because I so underestimated what I was burning. Also, its a huge motivator. Sometimes I base my workouts on burning a certain number, like today my goal was 1000, and it feels really good to see that number.
  • jlchow
    jlchow Posts: 40
    Heart monitor... need to invest in one of those.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Weight training is tricky for MFP to work out though, as they don't know how much you're lifting, whether a set takes you 30 seconds or 60 seconds, whether you're doing squats or curls, whether you have five minutes rest between sets or are training circuit-style..... etc. There's no realistic way they can give any set figure for weights, given all the variations.

And heart rate monitors aren't much better, given their inherent inaccuracies at measuring calorie burn in weight workouts.