Bacon Question

Options
Does anyone know, if i pan fry some bacon, and then cook my eggs in the bacon grease. Should I add the calories separate for the bacon grease or are the calories included in the nutrition facts. The serving size says 2 skillet cooked slices and it is 80 calories and 6g of fat.

Replies

• sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    hmm... I wonder if you could find out the raw calories count of the bacon..
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's probably included in the bacon. I do that all the time and never thought to add the bacon grease separately. :)
  • missdaisy79
    missdaisy79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'd imagine the bacon grease isn't included. Add it to your calorie count - if you're under at the end of the day it's a bonus.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The fat is included in the nutritional data for bacon, your just reusing it, so don't count it again.
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    The fat is included in the nutritional data for bacon, your just reusing it, so don't count it again.

thats what I would think.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    but it has the calorie count for pan fried bacon, so it wouldnt count the fat left in the pan..
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I read this on another site, hopefully it helps.

If you're using other bacon, the calorie level is always for the preparation method listed (usually the nutrition label will say pan fried slices, or crisp, in which case the calories are listed only for the bacon, not the grease left behind).

If you've got a food scale, the best way to calculate bacon calories if you're going to use the fat, is to weigh the bacon before you cook with it.

Bacon thicknesses can vary, but I've always (for the past 30 or so years I've counted calories) counted one slice of bacon (including the fat) as 100 to 150 calories (thin slices 100, thick slices 150)s. I just googled to verify, and this still seems to be accurate. But brands vary in thickness, so if you have a food scale or look up the specific brand on a site like Daily Plate or Calorie King.

American bacon is called "streaky bacon" in the rest fo the world.

On the daily plate
    Bacon (streaky)
    Serving Size: 29 g; Calories: 157, Total Fat: 12.12g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 10.74g

If you're only going to use some of the bacon fat - I find it easiest to cook the bacon in the pan alone and pour off the unused bacon grease and then measure or weight the grease and subtract those calories from the starting total (bacon grease has about 100 calories per tablespoon).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Who care's it's BACON!!!!!

I just count the total calories of a slice of bacon. I'm sure the fat is already accounted for.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    They are different numbers. Raw bacon vs Fried bacon. Here is a link. Raw bacon has 139 calories. Fried is 42. So the grease in the pan should be counted.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/bacon-(cured-pan-fried-cooked)?portionid=33870&portionamount=1.000

D
  • gregs887
    Options
    They are different numbers. Raw bacon vs Fried bacon. Here is a link. Raw bacon has 139 calories. Fried is 42. So the grease in the pan should be counted.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/usda/bacon-(cured-pan-fried-cooked)?portionid=33870&portionamount=1.000

D
    Very cool link, thanks!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time, I DON'T add the grease seperate.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Shouldnt have read this thread...I want bacon now.