A question For those who love Chalene Extreme

Options
Hi,
I am 54 years old and about 5 pounds from my goal and want to work on toning up. I am looking for a more challenging Strength training video to use with free weights - I realize some of the challenge is in the weight size. Currently I am using 5 to 8 pound dumbbells. I can't devote more than 30 minutes a day to a video work out. I walk twice a day with the dog - might be willing to swap some of the dog's time for a workout, too.

A few years back as I was exploring losing weight and using videos I tried Turbo Jam and while I really liked the routine, it caused knee pain and I had to return it. I have desintigrating cartilege behind my kneecaps and although it has gotten better and I am now pain free with my weight loss and other strength training exercises I still worry about creating knee pain/causing damage to my knees.

Any thoughts from you Chalene Extreme experts with the knee pain?

Thanks!
Susan

Replies

• erinhale
    erinhale Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i LOVE Chalean Extreme. I love it,! My mom (who is 60 does it, my husband and I do it, I LOVE IT) But you have to have a full range of weights- thats the downfall. If you follow the video, push yourself, go slow and be in control- you will see the results you want.

As for knee pain- I have 2 ACL's, and a displaced knee cap....I love Chalean for knee pain. My mom as 2 total knee replacements and can do it. Chalean forces you to go slow, be in control and focus on form not quanity. You can friend me if you want to go throught Chalean with me. I just started Monday, again!
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was doing Insanity until it destroyed my knees. I now do Chalean Extreme but I just do the weightlifting videos, I totally skip the cardio ones. Works for me just fine and I have no knee pain. I like weightlifting a lot though..
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i LOVE Chalean Extreme. I love it,! My mom (who is 60 does it, my husband and I do it, I LOVE IT) But you have to have a full range of weights- thats the downfall. If you follow the video, push yourself, go slow and be in control- you will see the results you want.

What range of weights do you own? I currently have 5s, 8s, 10s and 12s...I'm thinking I need to get some heavier ones, I'm in pretty decent shape, but I dont want to spend too much more money right now.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I was doing Insanity until it destroyed my knees. I now do Chalean Extreme but I just do the weightlifting videos, I totally skip the cardio ones. Works for me just fine and I have no knee pain. I like weightlifting a lot though..

Okay, that is helpful. Would you recommend buying the whole program of Chalean Extreme just for the weight lifting videos? or is "any" weight lifting video just as good? I have quite a few for variety. Maybe I just need to first apply myself AGAIN to doing them regularly first and work up towards a 10 pound weight and see if that will get me closer to the results I am looking for?
  • mill1295
    mill1295 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    They were a gift so I'm not sure how much they are.. I knew the basics of weightlifting and I would do some at the gym but I never felt like I would get all the muscles and I didn't know how much weight to use. I really like these videos. There are three levels of intensity with three videos for each level and if you do all of those three it hits all the muscles (you can feel it!). I do M,W,F or Tu,Th,Sat. I feel like it is enough for me. I did the first month so lowest intensity for like 2.5 months and didn't really get bored. I did the second level for a month and haven't had the time lately so I will go back to the first level when I start again. I haven't done the third level yet. I noticed a significant increase in strength and overall fitness. Biceps went from 7.5lbs to 12.5lbs. In the end I was using 15 in each hand and needed to go heavier for leg exercises. I haven't used other videos for weightlifting so I don't have anything to compare to really.

On the cardio note.. the first month is more like circuit training as there is usually a leg and then upper body type move combined. When I bought my HRM I found out I was in my zone for most of the video. It is not the case with the second month though. I also do the ab video occasionally - it's a killer :)
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I love Chalean Extreme. I disagree with "having to have a wide set of free weights".
    For the first month, I only used 5s adn 8s. After that, I bought 10s and 15s, but mainly used the 8s and 10s. 15s came in for some of the lower body work, however. You don't need a ton of weights right from the get-go. 5s and 8s would work just fine through the majority of the program.

I think CLX is definitely worth the money. I really enjoyed the whole program & found that it really toned me up & changed the shape of my body. It didn't bother my knees at all (whereas other programs have)
  • UmmHiyah
    Options
    For knee pain,,,check out trigger point therapy. Hope you get relief.