when should i tell?

Options
I have lost 55 pounds and my sister doesn't know. She lives in California is younger and always had a great body and has always been pushy about me getting in shape. She always brags about going to the gym and how great she does. I have kept my mouth shut about my journey.

Should I send her a picture before Christmas so she sees my progress or wait till I lose a little more....biggest problem, my parents are going to see her at Christmas and I don't think they can keep the secret. And should I send a before and after pic or just a "now" pic? HELP!

Replies

• danapearly
    danapearly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Your sister is going to be sooo very proud of you!!! I think you should send her a before and after picture. She is going to freak!! Do it right before your parents get there!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Send her a holiday card with a picture of the new you! :)
  • ALLNEW42
    Options
    This journey is about you....not your sister. It should not matter who/how someone tells her...just that you know you are doing your best for yourself.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask your Mum and Dad to please keep quiet and to respect your wishes and suprise her when you see her at Christmas. You deserve to see the shock on her face. Just tell your Mum and Dad how hard you've worked and how much it means to you to be able to tell her yourself. I wish I could be a fly on the wall! x
  • AnakiMana
    Options
    Have you considered inviting her to MFP? That would be one way to inform her.
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Send her a holiday card with a picture of the new you! :)

agreed before and after pic!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask your Mum and Dad to please keep quiet and to respect your wishes and suprise her when you see her at Christmas. You deserve to see the shock on her face. Just tell your Mum and Dad how hard you've worked and how much it means to you to be able to tell her yourself. I wish I could be a fly on the wall! x

ditto
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree- send a card with a pic...
    Maybe you can write something about the new year and the new you! She will be shocked and uberexcited, I'm sure!
  • Daisy374
    Daisy374 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I agree with sending a before and after pic in a holiday card or as your holiday card. It will definitely shock her and make her super excited to see you! :drinker:
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Have you considered inviting her to MFP? That would be one way to inform her.

I thought about saying that too! Great minds think alike!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    It's your victory. I hope that you'll handle it the way that you want to. Let her know when you are ready to. If that includes telling your parents it is important and to keep quiet, then do it. Some times in life you only get what you ask for. :) Congrats BTW.
  • moniquelessard
    Options

^^ this. Although my dad can't keep a secret to save his life, so it's not guaranteed. I also agree with another poster who said that this journey should be about you, not your sister. All that matters is how proud you are of YOURSELF. A lesson I've learnt the hard way. xoxo
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I won't see her till maybe next June! I haven't put anything on facebook and my aunts and cousins haven't said a word! I am kinda excited....
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Next time you chat, mention that you've followed her advice about improving your health/fitness. Don't give details. Don't send photos. Then turn up in person. :devil:
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your relationship with her. If you guys are close go ahead and tell her. If you guys are really competitive you might ask your parents to keep it to themselves so you can surprise her later on when you feel ready.

I see me family on a regular basis and my closest friends as well. So even though they see the weight coming off the surprise effect really isn't there and I get twisted pleasure out of shocking people. So I've kept my journey off Facebook, where distant friends from around the country and extended family are likely to see something. When I reach my goal weight I have a whole outfit planned to take a picture in and post it for everybody to see.

I figured this beats having some sort of party with tons of snack food and alcohol.
  • walkwithme1
    Options

^^ this. Although my dad can't keep a secret to save his life, so it's not guaranteed. I also agree with another poster who said that this journey should be about you, not your sister. All that matters is how proud you are of YOURSELF. A lesson I've learnt the hard way. xoxo

Oh, no this is TOTALLY about me! For once in my life it is ME!
  • walkwithme1
    Options
    Really depends on your relationship with her. If you guys are close go ahead and tell her. If you guys are really competitive you might ask your parents to keep it to themselves so you can surprise her later on when you feel ready.

I see me family on a regular basis and my closest friends as well. So even though they see the weight coming off the surprise effect really isn't there and I get twisted pleasure out of shocking people. So I've kept my journey off Facebook, where distant friends from around the country and extended family are likely to see something. When I reach my goal weight I have a whole outfit planned to take a picture in and post it for everybody to see.

I figured this beats having some sort of party with tons of snack food and alcohol.

I have also thought about putting before and after on FB...
  • foraMEthatiLOVE
    Options
    If your sister's been trying to get you interested in losing weight is bcs she probably would like to see you succeed with your struggle, but it seems to me that maybe you might not like her attitude about how she's going about this. When it comes to family, I am a big supportive of going about things with a tone of love and peace, even when I don't receive the same treatment back, after all, they will be a part of our lives forever, I hope you are not doing it to prove her anything.
    If you want her to know about your loss then I think you can e-mail her a pic of you and add an interesting title on the subject line, something like "You will be so proud of me", that way it may show her in a loving way that you care about what she thinks. Maybe you can even tell her that your journey is just beginning, so that she knows you have intentions to lose more. I would not send a before pic, always after pics. :wink:

Much luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • DBRobinson13
    DBRobinson13 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Make a personal Christmas card incorporating your before and after! Have fun with it! And congratulations!!! Keep it up! Here's a quick start:

"Twas months before Christmas, and all through the house
    No one was stirring, not even a mouse.
    The footsteps were heavy, sluggish and slow
    And I said to myself, "This weight's got to go".

With me in my sweatpants, overwhelmed with where to start
    It was off to the gym, to find the target rate for my heart.
    The treadmill, the eliptical, and so many other scary things
    Big weights, kettle balls, and weights attached to strings.

With determination and drive I started out slow,
    To do this right, change my lifestyle, and reach the goal.
    More veggies, and water and meat that was lean
    And before I knew it, I was down 3 sizes in my jeans.

Congratulations!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself, but let her know before, this way the holidays are about more than just your waistline.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!