tashatashae
tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
im looking for affordable meals that i can make any suggestions

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I made two meals from the following:

3 lbs 93/7 ground beef (I actually used venison but that's harder to get) $18
    Rotel chunky tomatos w/ chiles $2
    McCormick mexican seasoning $3
    Shredded mexican cheese $3
    Sour cream $2
    Guacamole $3
    Salsa $2
    Bell peppers (4) $5
    Lettuce $4

For under $45 I had dinner, lunch, and dinner again for my bf and myself. The first night I made taco salads and the second night I made stuffed peppers. I'll send the recipes if you like.
  • tashatashae
    Options
    yes send um i love new dishes
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Black bean quesadillas are absolutely delicious a variation from meat and CHEAP!!!

I don't know the calorie breakdown but I will soon enough when I make them and put in the ingredient list. If you're interested just send me message I guess.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Beans and brown rice are my favorite low cost meal starters. There are just so many things you can do with these, and they keep forever (just about) so you can stock up when they are on sale.
  • 9fish
    9fish Posts: 1
    Options
    Weight Watchers web site has some tasty, easy and if you shop wisely inexpensive recipes.
  • nikkijay25
    nikkijay25 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually cut up some boneless skinless chicken breasts and cook in the skillet with some Pam or olive oil. Some days I add Green peppers and onions like a fajita and put it on a wheat pita or serve it over brown rice. It's so much you can do with chicken breast and it's not that expensive.
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Black bean chili. Throw whatever you want into a pot with some water (I use the liquid in the can, too!) and boil. Omelets are cheap, pasta and pasta sauce (I make my own), tacos as listed above, chicken if you can buy it cheap (I got mine for 36 cents a pound, skinless!), brown rice with a ton of vegetables and some hot sauce, hmmm... I'll let you know if I think of more!
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I usually make protein smoothies in the morning. If you buy some strawberries or blueberries and mango chunks and blend with either some protein powder or greek yogurt.

I bought frozen blueberries and mangoes about over a month ago, and it has STILL lasted me. I usually get the strawberries on sale. The protein powder (unf) was kinda pricey, but if you put in greek yogurt and get it in the bigger container it can be cheaper but still give you the protein and calcium you need.

I have more low price healthy recipes, but I noticed if you eat healthier you are going to spend a little more money, but in the long run you are saving on medical bills etc lol

Tuna, chicken breast (frozen), and even bulk shrimp makes cheaper protein alternatives. I noticed since I have been on this site I have been eating less and more whole foods and vegetables, and saving money. Although it's more money than say, a box of mac and cheese and top ramen, you end up eating less because fiber and protein fills you up, and therefore less likely to go out to a restaraunt and indulge. Going out to eat hurts your wallet and your waist line!

Hope this helps!
  • tashatashae
    Options
    Thank yall I love it keep um cuming
  • pfeiferfit
    pfeiferfit Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What about tuna salad - green salad, tuna and mayo. Yum! Or if you don't like that, how about eggs and some light toast for a cheap breakfast meal.

Scrambled eggs and cheese?

I'm all about quick and high protein. :)
  • candeebandland
    Options
    i'm with you on the eggs and cheese. Tuna, chicken or turkey sausage with frozen gumbo veggies....make soups
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Quick, easy and healthy:

1 boneless skinless chicken breast: (a family pack is $8 with 6 to a pack)
    1 fresh brocolli crown ($2 last I checked)
    1/2 onion ($1 for the whole thing)
    3 cloves of garlic (pennies)
    Fresh ginger (pennies)
    2 carrots (pennies)
    Sriracha (asian hot sauce) - don't remember the price, but a bottle lasts forever
    Rice wine vinegar
    1 cup uncooked rice ($1)

Put the rice on to cook following package instructions and seasoning as desired.
    Cut the chicken, brocollie and carrots into bite size peices. Peel the ginger and garlic. Put ginger, garlic and onion into a food processor and pulse (or chop finely).
    If you have a non-stick wok or skillet, spray it with cooking spray and get it hot. (If you don't own non-stick, use as little oil as possible to keep your food from sticking.)
    Mix a light sauce of Sriracha and vingegar. I like a tbs of hot sauce to 1/4 cup of vinegar. Balance your mixture to taste.
    Add the chicken and onion mixture to the wok. Stir frequently to keep chicken cooking evenly.
    if you like your veggies mostly raw (like my hubby) wait until chicken in 90% done before adding them. Otherwise, add veggies when chicken is 50% cooked.
    When your strifry is cooked through, add the vinegar sauce and toss to coat.
    Serve stirfry over rice with Soy Sauce and Sriracha as optional.

Feeds 2 with a little leftover at my house.
  • tashatashae
    Options
    Sounds great ill give it a try..
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    all of these sound pretty good... i must try
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Broccoli Potato Cheddar soup

1 package Bear Creek Broccoli Cheddar Soup
    2 cup 1% milk
    8 cups water
    package frozen broccoli, thawed and chopped into small pieces
    3 small potatoes, cubed
    half onion, diced

Saute onion in a little olive oil
    Add water and bring to a boil
    Add potatoes and cook until soft
    Whisk in soup mix
    Add milk
    Add broccoli
    Simmer for about 10 minutes or until broccoli pieces are tender
    Add additional water/ milk if it gets too thick

Makes 9 servings, about 250 calories per serving.. less if you use skim milk
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I do a protein drink once a day
  • saabs80
    saabs80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    bump
  • FitnessBarbie99
    FitnessBarbie99 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I find that "cheap" often translates into "using what I have before it goes bad" too.

I swear by turkey meatballs. You can buy a bag of them for $2 at Aldi's. I toss 5 or 6 (portion is on the back of the bag) in with leftover veggies and rice/pasta with some broth or marinara sauce for a quick take to work lunch at least once a week.