Question for the runners...

Options
So I have done a few 5k races and I run regularly, and I am now looking to take it to the next level. My question is - what is the best way to work up to a 10k? I've read some bridge to 10k programs, but it doesn't seem very helpful to me - essentially just saying to run for x amount of minutes on y day. I'm more interested in how to train to get the distance in. For example, do I cut my pace by a minute per mile and try to run longer, or do I try to get a faster per mile pace? How much slower should I expect to run when switching distances? In the last race I ran, my time (30:50) was about in the middle for all men, but when I looked at the 10k results, my expected time (approx 1:05:00 or so) would have put me in the bottom 10%. Should I try to get faster before moving up? I think that I should get faster as I keep losing weight, but I know that is not necessarily guaranteed. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

7980302.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• cbu23
    cbu23 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the timing questions, but this is a good training program. I had never even ran a 5K when I signed up for my first 10K. I used this training schedule...modified to my own schedule a little. Hope that helps some.

http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I just kept doing lots of 5kms got my pace up, then started making the runs 0.5km longer each week (so doing 5.5km runs one week, 6km runs the next etc) Then I just did a 10km and beasted it!

Now I run 10kms about 5 -7 times a week...sometimes more! :) You can do it... took me about 4 months to get to a reasonable standard...fastest 10km was 49mins... average is between 52 and 53 mins! xx
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've often read "Train for time, or train for distance" not both at the same time. With the 10k you're going to having longer "long runs" than you did with the 5k, and you should run those at a speed that allows you to finish. On your short runs, you can increase the pace some but you ultimately want to be able to run the 10k which means endurance. Once you get the distance down, then focus on time.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    earlier this year i went from never running to running each weeekend with a friend, then running a couple times in the evening around my block (just a couple miles here and there), and after a couple months jumped right into my first 12k! just run, when you do your normal runs instead of stopping after 3 miles just keep going, go until you run out of time or you get too pooped to run anymore, get an idea of how far you can go and then just keep practicing. It's all about endurance and pushing yourself farther.

good luck!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Get out and run, it's only 3 more miles. The whole thing should take about 70-80 minutes tops.

Start with 3 miles, then add 1 mile each week, in 3 weeks you're there!
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    There a bunch of great running websites that you can purchase different types of training programs. Ultimately as we lose weight we will get faster and stronger. I started out last February could barely run a mile, now run my 5k time around 29 minutes and 10k a little slower it is just getting used to the distance. Good luck.
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the timing questions, but this is a good training program. I had never even ran a 5K when I signed up for my first 10K. I used this training schedule...modified to my own schedule a little. Hope that helps some.

Agreed with Hal Higdon
    I like the Hal Higdon training guides and you don't have to follow it to the exact so modify it for your own schedule :)
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10k in training for a half. My approach when training has always been just to do the distance, not worry about my time, and follow a training plan. I like Hal Hindgon's plans as an earlier poster mentioned.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think the main reason your time would go from being middle of the pack to closer to the end of the pack is because a lot more people of different abilities do 5ks. Once you start getting into the longer distances, you get a larger percentage of more serious runners. I ran really well in my first 10k, better than I expected, and won an award for 2nd place in my age group. However... there were only two women IN my age group, so I was also LAST in my group! :laugh:

As for training, I followed a beginner 10k plan on Active.com in the early summer. They had some promo and it was free. It had me running 4x a week, varying distance, terrain and pace, sometimes with walk intervals, sometimes without.

For your first, I wouldn't even worry about speed. Just do the distance. The only person you're competing against is yourself.
  • juscallmeb
    Options
    If you want to increase mileage then you want to slow your pace down so you can last longer Get to a comfortable pace so you feel like you can keep going. Add on your miles slowly, 1 per week or half per week.
    My adivce is to just go out there and run. don't think too much about it and put too much pressure on yourself. Running should be fun.

If you can do a 5K you can do a 10K. you have it in you :)
    good luck and have fun.
  • juscallmeb
    Options
    I did my first 10k in training for a half. My approach when training has always been just to do the distance, not worry about my time, and follow a training plan. I like Hal Hindgon's plans as an earlier poster mentioned.
    i like the way you think :)
  • juscallmeb
    Options

The only person you're competing against is yourself.

love that ;)
  • sarahkbarnes
    Options
    Have a look at Runners World Smart Coach, or Hal Higdon. Good luck!
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Go to active.com
    They have all kinds of training tools there
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Agreed with Hal Higdon
    I like the Hal Higdon training guides and you don't have to follow it to the exact so modify it for your own schedule :)

I third this!

And if you're training for distance you shouldn't be training for speed as well. Too much. What I'm currently doing is Hal Higdon's half marathon for novice (for distance) back to back with his half marathon for intermediate to get my speed up before I do my first half.