Please post success stories about walking!

Options
Hi,

I've incorporated a 2 miles walk every weekday along with my cardio/ RI 30 DVD. Every since I've begun doing that (late September on), I've noticed that my weight is actually stalling more. However, it has vastly improved the look of my legs. I was wondering if anyone would like to share success stories about incorporating walking into working out? I love doing it, but I'm getting discouraged at the same time! lol

-Allie

Replies

• Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you are so right about it improving the look of your legs, I love the way mine feel and the fact that I can actually feel the muscles working.

im sure the stall will unstall itself soon just keep it up and enjoy the legs :)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking at least one day of rest from exercise in a week.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it will help me succeed, but it adds some much needed variety to my routine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged - walking is great! Just make sure you keep the pace up. Look for Walk Away the Pounds or Leslie Sansone threads for encouragement (this is indoor walking for winter weather).

Walking is my main cardio (step arerobics is getting harder on my knees). As long as it's something you enjoy - you will be more consistant - making the "lifestyle" change needed to keep weight off in the future.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been walking 5 miles, 3 times per week for the last month and have dropped over 2 inches off my abdomen!!! This compares to 3 inches lost off the same area in the last YEAR going to the gym only.
    I walk very fast and try to remember to walk upright with my stomach held in, seems to be working. Weight loss has not been huge , just over 2 lbs, but the measurements are all good.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Every day I walk and every day it gets me places!

That's the only success I have walking. I walk 3 miles a day every weekday as part of my commute so it is included in my activity level (lightly active). I actually have to work out in a deliberate way to see results. :flowerforyou:
  • autumnridge
    autumnridge Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    While the weather was nice, I walked one hour nearly every day and dropped a whole size along with watching my food intake, of course. I know I'm going to have to start walking in the mall because riding my stationary bike doesn't seem to be doing nearly as much for me. Many times this summer, when I saw people I hadn't seen for a long time, I was told I was looking great. That in itself is incentive for walking! I hope you get it all figured out.
  • Moonboots100
    Moonboots100 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You asked for a success story about walking. Heres a very quick overview of my journey so far....
    I started at 25 stone (350lb). I had a dog that needed walking.
    We started out with 15 minute walks, couldnt be bothered, hated it, too much of an effort.
    Within these 15 minutes I stopped twice. I was so unfit.
    But gradually I started enjoying it, challenging myself to beat my times.
    Now I can walk for miles, for hours. My weight loss stalled, but then I broke that plateu. I took up photography on my walks which makes me walk further, climb hills for that "perfect photo"

Moral of the story, I have now lost 5 and a half stone, 5 OF THAT WAS THROUGH WALKING, and walking alone, me and the pooch, off on our strolls, increasing distance, speed, time etc. So...... walking does work, but up the challenge as and when you feel necessary.

Hope that helps xxx
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I love walking....I started my (this) weight loss journey December 2, 2010. I made a promise that I would prioritize my health and commit to loosing 50 pounds.

At first forcing myself to walk was a challenge. I started out measuring distance and quickly discovered that measuring my walking by time (minutes) allowed me to wander around my neighborhood and not feel anxious about how far I had walked.

I lost the 50 pounds and with MFP have maintained my walking. I currently walk every day. A minimum of one hour and maximum of two hours. What works for me is to immediately make my walk the first sthing I do each morning. Come home get on the scales and log my minutes into diary. My walk usually starts at around 5:30 am. Living in Oregon I go to he mall to walk if the rain is a downn pour. Mall walking is a challenge but I do it because I believe it works for me.

Absolutely love walking now. I have maintained my weight since August. It takes work but skinny feels so much better than anything tastes.

Best to everyone in their MFP journey.

Results.....I have found that my walking seemed to tighten up my stomach area. When walking if I put my hand on my stomach I can actually feel he tightness when walking. Walking and changing my food choices worked for me. I have kept the
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love walking with Leslie Sansone, I use it as in house summer walking routine though, because it is just too hot in the summer to spend time outside. I just love to change up things, do at least one weight day a week and then walks or cardio, treadmill.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I once was having a very bad day,so I walked to the bar and my day got better.:laugh:
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I used walking strictly for my exercise of choice when I lost fifty pounds and have maintained that loss for seven years.

I just started running last fall because I wanted to challenge myself more.

I started out with walking on work breaks...so two fifteen minute breaks. Then started walking in the evening outside or on the treadmill in the winter and aimed for four miles a day.

I would challenge myself on speed and incline on the treadmill to get a better workout.
  • WolfieCougar
    WolfieCougar Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thank you for the inspirational stories!! I didn't realize that you could also lose inches from the stomach, too :)

Definitely made me feel better.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I shed the first 30 pounds or so doing almost nothing BUT walking for exercise and it's continued to be a fixture of my workout routine ever since, even though I do a wide variety of exercises now.
    Walking may not provide the biggest calorie burn, but it does get you moving , which is the most important thing. If you engage your arms and core while walking, you can get a decent full-body workout.
  • WolfieCougar
    Options

I lost the 50 pounds and with MFP have maintained my walking. I currently walk every day. A minimum of one hour and maximum of two hours. What works for me is to immediately make my walk the first sthing I do each morning. Come home get on the scales and log my minutes into diary. My walk usually starts at around 5:30 am. Living in Oregon I go to he mall to walk if the rain is a downn pour. Mall walking is a challenge but I do it because I believe it works for me.

Absolutely love walking now. I have maintained my weight since August. It takes work but skinny feels so much better than anything tastes.

I walk in the morning, too! Maybe I'll start weighing in after that instead of at night. Maybe I'll see a difference in weight instead of after food intake all day!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've been walking since January, and thats how I've lost most of my 28 pounds.. along with one or two days of weight training.

I hate running, so walking it is... and I've also found that my legs have firmed up quite a bit!
  • cvanbeek
    cvanbeek Posts: 107
    Options
    I have lost almost 16 lbs just walking and watching my calories. I have not done any running or lifting. I'm thinking that I may have to increase to reach my next goal. But am extremely excited by what I have done just walking.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I walk to the bathroom, I don't pee on my couch.
  • WolfieCougar
    Options
    I have lost almost 16 lbs just walking and watching my calories. I have not done any running or lifting. I'm thinking that I may have to increase to reach my next goal. But am extremely excited by what I have done just walking.

I would be, too! Fabulous!
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I've lost 83-85lbs total with walking as the bulk of my workouts. LOVE walking!