Insanity workout for very large female

Options
I really want to do the insanity workout, but know that as of right now I am not fit enough to do it. Has any other larger women completed the insanity workout and what was your experience with this? I want to lose fat and build muscle but I dont want to become too muscular. I weigh 280 and am worried that this workout would be better to wait until I have lost a lot more lbs... Let me know what you all think Thanks :)

Replies

• harold_IV
    harold_IV Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let that deter you from doing insanity. Shawn T always says take a break if you need it. Heck, I can't even do the insanity workout.
  • SkinnySoph88
    Options
    I personally haven't done insanity and i am toward the end of my journey. I personally didn't dive right into grueling workouts at the beginning of my journey because I didn't want to dread the videos and stop doing them. A good beginner may be Jillian's 30 Day Shred. It allows you to work up to the hardest level (4) on your own time...and i have to say, I work out consistently 5x a week and I still have not reached level 4! I am sure you will be pleased with the intensity even at level 1.

You will build muscle as well- it's circuit training (I use 5-8lb weights)
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    How are you at jumping and high impact activities?

Do you have any joint issues (esp knee)
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I would wait. I did half of the exercises with my husband, but I had to substitute a lot of the jumping exercises, because they are too hard on my knees and ankles still. But the cardio was awesome for me. Though my husband's son was bigger when he started Insanity and he lost a lot of weight with it and it was amazing to see how much better he got with the exercises with the weight loss. But I guess it is different for each individual. But there is no need to be worried to be too muscular. When my husband was done with it he was nicer toned, but not bulked up.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't let that deter you from doing insanity. Shawn T always says take a break if you need it. Heck, I can't even do the insanity workout.

Heck, even the fitness professionals in the video have to take breaks.

You don't have to go at the same speed they do. You can take breaks as needed. You can modify certain exercises if any cause you pain. (edit to add: Squats are great substitutes for a lot of the jumping exercises, from a gal with Very Bad Knees (tm) ).
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You can always modify all the beach body workouts like p90, turbo fire etc. but insanity can be very tough on the knees and joints. You can always try it and if it's too much, you'll know what you have to work up to. I love insanity- its killer. Good luck :)
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it, then do it. Push yourself, but not too hard. I was about 280 when I did 30DS the first time and I thought I would DIE.. but I didn't! Now I can do it and it's amazing that I'm not dripping with sweat like I used too... even though I still sweat lol. Good luck to you!!!
  • Csheffer07
    Options
    I personally haven't done insanity and i am toward the end of my journey. I personally didn't dive right into grueling workouts at the beginning of my journey because I didn't want to dread the videos and stop doing them. A good beginner may be Jillian's 30 Day Shred. It allows you to work up to the hardest level (4) on your own time...and i have to say, I work out consistently 5x a week and I still have not reached level 4! I am sure you will be pleased with the intensity even at level 1.

You will build muscle as well- it's circuit training (I use 5-8lb weights)

I am starting the 30 day Shred tomorrow, Im pretty excited about it!
  • Csheffer07
    Options
    How are you at jumping and high impact activities?

Do you have any joint issues (esp knee)

I surprisingly don't have any joint issues, lol
  • Csheffer07
    Options

Thanks for the encouragement!!
  • smpreston
    smpreston Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would probably go with something easier like Turbo Jam. TurboFire is an option too and really burns the calories.Insanity ios a pretty tough program.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    I am going to be the Debbie downer...if you have any joint issues I would NOT do this yet...I waited till I had lost 40 pounds and it was still very difficult...one thing you can do ..if you have access to the dvd's is to do the fitness test and that will give you a bit of an idea if this is for you RIGHT NOW....have you done Jillian 30 day shred? it is a better work up to Insanity...best of luck to you....
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    there is a lot of plyometrics type exercise and lots and lots of jumping around along with viscous push up work...!!
  • Csheffer07
    Options
    I am going to be the Debbie downer...if you have any joint issues I would NOT do this yet...I waited till I had lost 40 pounds and it was still very difficult...one thing you can do ..if you have access to the dvd's is to do the fitness test and that will give you a bit of an idea if this is for you RIGHT NOW....have you done Jillian 30 day shred? it is a better work up to Insanity...best of luck to you....

I have been very lucky being this heavy and not having any joint problem, I had planned to work my way up to it definitely lol I would die if I jumped into it right now haha, I am going to start the 30 day shred tomorrow and then work my way up. I wanted to set a goal of doing it in around 3 to 4 months from now.
  • KaylaTie
    Options
    Do it! If you start and decide to wait then do that and try again in a month. I think if you feel like trying something then TRY it...it doesn't mean you're married to it. Do it girl!